ADVERTISEMENT

Uniform unveil 7/23

You are gonna whine about it regardless.

I'm pretty sure I'll whine about it, regardless. I'm not going to apologize for being a traditionalist. I like the fact that my team is a blue blood. Unis don't win games. I'd appreciate it if the program marketed our tradition and focus on actual football issues. My dad always wanted ears of corn wrapped around the helmet and he died in '96. :rolleyes:

at least he got to see the back to back teams

Yeah, I was glad he got to see that. My father and mother used to go the games in the 70's before we moved to Indiana. They loved the Huskers. My dad would wear red and white striped overalls to the game. As a family, we always carried the Huskers with us no matter where we lived.

I remember having this "Scoring Explosion" poster on my bedroom wall. I'd write in the scores each week. Too bad about the Orange Bowl and too bad I didn't save that poster. Gill, Rozier and Fryer. What a team!

When I was overseas and serving in the Navy, my father had the OWH Big Red Package sent to me. It was great getting the Sunday papers for the coverage of the Husker games. This was before the internet took off.

I'm pretty sure I'll whine about it, regardless. I'm not going to apologize for being a traditionalist. I like the fact that my team is a blue blood. Unis don't win games. I'd appreciate it if the program marketed our tradition and focus on actual football issues. My dad always wanted ears of corn wrapped around the helmet and he died in '96. :rolleyes:
Uniforms don't win games, but they don't lose them either. If seeming a bit modernized can help in getting better recruits then go for it. Being a blue blood isn't about how how the freaking uniform looks. It is about winning freaking games over an extended period of time. Yes, I like our traditional uniforms, but we're not asking for an Oregon-esque uniform rotation. And by the way nearly every other blue blood throws in an alternate uniform form time to time.

As far as focusing on "actual football issues," do you not think the program can do both? It is a uniform for god's sake. It isn't a mission to mars.

Uniforms don't win games, but they don't lose them either. If seeming a bit modernized can help in getting better recruits then go for it. Being a blue blood isn't about how how the freaking uniform looks. It is about winning freaking games over an extended period of time. Yes, I like our traditional uniforms, but we're not asking for an Oregon-esque uniform rotation. And by the way nearly every other blue blood throws in an alternate uniform form time to time.

As far as focusing on "actual football issues," do you not think the program can do both? It is a uniform for god's sake. It isn't a mission to mars.

Simply don't agree. I like traditional unis. No one said the modern styled unis lose games. They don't. I'll just live them to Oregon. I dislike them. A lot. I think they need to update them for safety and performance, but keep the traditional look. You can't manufacture tradition, as much as Oregon would like to think. I'd rather play like Oregon rather than look like them. You don't need their unis to do that.

Last edited:
You say you can't manufacture tradition, yet you want to play like Oregon does right now... Simply put.... Oregon right now is building a winning tradition.... Just saying if the alternate uniforms or a more current style of uniform at tracks the top players then you'll not only build a winning tradition but also help maintain a winning tradition

Any opinion if wearing a different uniform effects the opposition; in regards to adjusting to knowing players they have watched on film in different uniforms? Just seems a slight edge. That said, why not have fun with it; honor the past and the next week race to the future style. As long as its not just for money; lets show the U as progressive, but with deep roots. We love our memories, so honor them.

You say you can't manufacture tradition, yet you want to play like Oregon does right now... Simply put.... Oregon right now is building a winning tradition.... Just saying if the alternate uniforms or a more current style of uniform at tracks the top players then you'll not only build a winning tradition but also help maintain a winning tradition

Unis are not the reason that Oregon is succeeding. It has all to do with the $$ that Knight pours into their program. What's more important is the coaching staff. You put the right man in charge of a blue blood program and all Knight's money won't mean squat. I'm talking about USC. They have tradition. With the right coach all the funky unis in the world won't beat USC when they are on top. Same with NU. It's a Ferrari that is waiting for the right driver. Is MR that man? We will see...

I do understand the apprehension by many on this board. You see their success. You see their gawd-awful looking unis. You think that because NU is down and Oregon is up that it must be the unis that drives them to success. Like the "S" on Superman's chest. But in reality, causation does not equal correlation. I'll take that little "N" on the helmet any day over wings on my helmet. We just need a coach that can sell our tradition.

Do we know if this is for the alternative uniform or just tweaks for the entire season? I remember during Osborne's years and Solich's years, the team would make minor changes every couple of years. Mostly related to the stripes, an emblem on the pants, jerseys, etc.

Do we have any idea if that is happening or if they are just releasing the alternative uniforms?

RE: Oregon...sure the uniforms themselves aren't winning them more games. But they are part of the overall brand they've created around the program. From the uniforms to facilities to the in game experience and the way they play. All of these things are pulling in the same direction for them and have created an aura around Oregon that is currently tough to beat.

IMO the best way for a school like Nebraska to compete with this is to not even try. You're not going to beat Oregon at their game. Know who you are, what you're good at and sell that. Nebraska is known for their fans and tradition...how can you involve those aspects into a uniform? Example...some soccer teams giving fans the opportunity to put themselves on the jersey...if done well I think something like this could kill it at Nebraska and better represent who we are as a program than the next electric tape contraption Adidas comes out with.

real-madrid-fan-number.jpg

I can't link to it right now, but the Huskers Twitter account just tweeted another preview/teaser. It looks like they're probably going to be black or charcoal uniforms with red numbers featuring the Adidas web design. I would guess the helmets will be either matte black or charcoal.

I can't link to it right now, but the Huskers Twitter account just tweeted another preview/teaser. It looks like they're probably going to be black or charcoal uniforms with red numbers featuring the Adidas web design. I would guess the helmets will be either matte black or charcoal.

If that is the case then they are Alternate uniforms. I was hoping to see a Red metallic helmet for our alternate helmet.

I understand the people who don't want change in uniforms, but bottom line is recruits love this stuff.

So, imo, this stuff is important.

Reactions: Husk10
I understand the people who don't want change in uniforms, but bottom line is recruits love this stuff.

So, imo, this stuff is important.

I agree, the kids love it; both current and future players. You can go to YouTube and see the reaction of the Ohio (Solich) players reacting to their "all blacks". You cannot help but smile to their reaction when they see those jerseys.

It does not change on field performance, but it's fun for the kids. For that reason alone, I'm all for it.

Unis are not the reason that Oregon is succeeding. It has all to do with the $$ that Knight pours into their program. What's more important is the coaching staff. You put the right man in charge of a blue blood program and all Knight's money won't mean squat. I'm talking about USC. They have tradition. With the right coach all the funky unis in the world won't beat USC when they are on top. Same with NU. It's a Ferrari that is waiting for the right driver. Is MR that man? We will see...

I do understand the apprehension by many on this board. You see their success. You see their gawd-awful looking unis. You think that because NU is down and Oregon is up that it must be the unis that drives them to success. Like the "S" on Superman's chest. But in reality, causation does not equal correlation. I'll take that little "N" on the helmet any day over wings on my helmet. We just need a coach that can sell our tradition.
Please do not misunderstand my post... in my post I did not say that the uniforms were the reason why Oregon is winning, that is kind of silly to assume that all we have to do is change uniforms and we will magically start winning. I have never said that and I’d have to assume that about 99% of the people that support a uniform change do not support it with the delusional hope that it will magically make us win this year. What we (and forgive me as I’m speaking for the masses here) tend to think is that the young kids that are being recruited actually pay attention to the hype that the uniforms bring, and as some coaches have said, it’s not about the X's and O's, it’s about the jimmy's and Joe's.... the Argument of "just have the right coach in place and we will win" can also be reversed as you have to the caliber of kids to execute for your coach, Coach Riley can draw up the perfect game plan week in and week out, but if we are not pulling good enough athletes to execute said game plan it is all for nothing. yes the coach can win you some games, but at the end of the day it comes down to the players on the field, they are the ones that need to execute and perform the game plan that Coach drew up, if a new uniform will help attract just one or two more players that have the skill set to execute the game plan to the fullest, and execute better than your Jimmie's and Joe's, then why not entertain it? I get that Nebraska is a tradition rich program, but we can’t continue to live in the past, our traditions are becoming distant memories, and the truth harsh but real, Nebraska is quickly becoming/ has already become a has been... Yes I may get blown out of the water for that remark but I am someone that is constantly moving around and traveling and I get to meet a lot of football fans and the talks always start with " I remember back when Nebraska was good, man those were some good old days" I have ran into "football fans" who didn’t even know who coach Osborne was, or when the last time Nebraska even won a Championship. We need more ways to draw attention to our program other than just our Tradition, because our tradition doesn’t mean much to anyone outside our state.

OK Husker history gurus, here's a question for you....one of things I love about these alternate helmets as well as the classic white helmet is the simple 'N' on the sides. I know at one time some of the player's helmets actually had 'NU' on the sides, but my real question is when did we start using the dumb looking blocked N that you see on the basketball court, in the training facility, etc., etc. IMO, it just looks blah....anyway, would love to know who came up with that and when....would love to see that simple 'N' as the official 'N'. GBR.

OK Husker history gurus, here's a question for you....one of things I love about these alternate helmets as well as the classic white helmet is the simple 'N' on the sides. I know at one time some of the player's helmets actually had 'NU' on the sides, but my real question is when did we start using the dumb looking blocked N that you see on the basketball court, in the training facility, etc., etc. IMO, it just looks blah....anyway, would love to know who came up with that and when....would love to see that simple 'N' as the official 'N'. GBR.

1969 was the last year we had the NU on the helmets. In 1970 they ran out of the letter U and didn't have enough of them. Their were a few players on the 1970 that still had the NU on the sides.
As far as the block N, Nebraska back in the 1900's had them on their uniforms back in the day. I don't how to link other wise I would show you a picture back long in the past.

Last edited:
This is one of my favorite days of the year. Watching grown-ass men lose their minds because the outfit of his favorite group of boys changes for a day.
That puts everything into perspective perfectly. +1 for you good sir

But.....but the Buffaloes say it's all about 'swagger'.....'just wait, one of these days we'll get that swagger back'.....Cody Norman Hawkins circa 2008.

ADVERTISEMENT