ADVERTISEMENT

Underestimating the Chins factor, 3rd and long

For those who have actually played at this level (or higher), who is ultimately responsible for the lack of communication by the defense?

You have to believe that the coaches continually stress the importance of communication, but if the players fail to respond who is at fault? Do you blame the players for not doing as they're told, or do you blame the coaches for not getting them to play as they're taught?

For those who have actually played at this level (or higher), who is ultimately responsible for the lack of communication by the defense?

You have to believe that the coaches continually stress the importance of communication, but if the players fail to respond who is at fault? Do you blame the players for not doing as they're told, or do you blame the coaches for not getting them to play as they're taught?

you can be an expert in your given field and not be able to teach it to others

Who grades the players? What grading system is used?

It was on the Husker Online podcast, Sean Callahan mentioned it. Sorry I forgot the name but basically those two were the worst on the defense and Colin Miller actually was far better. Stille graded in the top 10 but he doesn't get as much reps as the other linemen do..

It was on the Husker Online podcast, Sean Callahan mentioned it. Sorry I forgot the name but basically those two were the worst on the defense and Colin Miller actually was far better. Stille graded in the top 10 but he doesn't get as much reps as the other linemen do..

So Sean Callahan is grading the players?

Coaches.

We are terrible in this regard and that starts with our coaching staff. There is a disconnect between the coaches and players on game day, there's no denying that. Add that to the fact that Barry and Honas are the worst graded players (34 in total) that have taken a snap with us this year. That is cringe worthy folks.

It's worse than miscommunication and players not knowing what to do, when they do decide they tend to over shoot taking bad angles and totally missing ball carriers and receivers. Zero intuition on where a guy is running to, they always go for where he was just at.

Reactions: CatColumbia
Oh it must be the players (not). Look at really good teams.....do they have players that are naturally good communicators too? Of course ALL defenses have communication lapses from time to time, but when it happens over and over again I think the coaches have to take a hard look in the mirror.

We can't rush the passer and our LB's can't cover anyone. Against the spread teams like Indiana and Purdue, I wish we would play more sub packages (Nickel and Dime).

Yes, the inability to rush the passer against crappy OL's like Purdue's just allows the QBs to pick off our LBs. Crazy lack of pass rush, it's like our DL are trying to do moves but go straight into another OL and get bogged down. Even our pass rush moves look stupid.

Usually the responsibility of one of the inside backers, sometimes one of the safeties as well. Id place my money on Barry being the main one with communication responsibilities, and its obvious he doesnt get it. So crazy with how lights he was last year compared to this year. Maybe last year he didnt have that responsibility? Or was more simple? Thats the headscratcher...

I too wish wed see more nickel or dime, at least for certain teams whose very identity is passing the ball (ie Indiana, Purdue, etc.).

Usually the responsibility of one of the inside backers, sometimes one of the safeties as well. Id place my money on Barry being the main one with communication responsibilities, and its obvious he doesnt get it. So crazy with how lights he was last year compared to this year. Maybe last year he didnt have that responsibility? Or was more simple? Thats the headscratcher...

I too wish wed see more nickel or dime, at least for certain teams whose very identity is passing the ball (ie Indiana, Purdue, etc.).
there is a player on D whose literal position is called Nickel (Domann).

Ultimately I feel bad for guys like Colin Miller and Will Honas. The lack of communication is clear but the scheme is also horrible. Continuously matching up your OLB who you know doesn't have the athleticism to cover their slot WR is insanity. It's going to continue to get exposed unless we play more Nickel, Dime, or switch to a 4-3 to get more pressure on the QB.

Oh it must be the players (not). Look at really good teams.....do they have players that are naturally good communicators too? Of course ALL defenses have communication lapses from time to time, but when it happens over and over again I think the coaches have to take a hard look in the mirror.
It is obviously a combination of both. If you are a teacher, coach, boss you have people you are training that have a higher care for details, have higher aptitude, and respond better to redirection and reteaching. People that love their job or care are hard to find and often bosses, teachers, and coaches have to "deal" with people that are good enough for the position but do not thrive. Frost says over and over that he wants kids that love football and care because they are coachable. If you have depth problems then these issues are exacerbated and throw in the new transfer rule and the need for depth and it is important to preserve redshirts, which hurts depth more. Frost decided to suck it up this year and preserved 20+ redshirts...to be honest..nobody will care about a couple 4 win seasons the moment we turn it around, and he would be fired regardless by year 6 if his team struggles. These first two years have absolutely no bearing on his success in the future. Plenty of coaches have won their first two years and were gone by year 6, and plenty have lost their first two years and were successful by year 6...and a few have won the entire time. He has staked his career on bring in the "right" kind of kid...he doesn't have it at enough positions right now...we'll see if he can do it...if he can't we move on. I bet we can get quite a coach if we offer them 35 million over 7 years.

We are terrible in this regard and that starts with our coaching staff. There is a disconnect between the coaches and players on game day, there's no denying that. Add that to the fact that Barry and Honas are the worst graded players (34 in total) that have taken a snap with us this year. That is cringe worthy folks.

Two ILB’s graded so low does not reflect well on Ruud. I’m not saying he’s the problem, but he’s gonna have to prove a lot going forward.

Who else do the coaches have?
What are they going to do, walk out on the field and play themselves?

there is a player on D whose literal position is called Nickel (Domann).

Yeah... But that's more of a 3-4 "over" type of package as opposed to a true nickel where there's an actual coverage db that subs in for a linebacker. I don't think I've seen anything remotely close to a dime package even once this season for that matter...

Odds on Wisconsin having 200+ rushing yards at halftime? With all the bad angles and “miscommunication” on our defense, JTaylor may have a historic day.

Odds on Wisconsin having 200+ rushing yards at halftime? With all the bad angles and “miscommunication” on our defense, JTaylor may have a historic day.

Yes, it will get ugly, Chins will have our guys either hesitation or full speed in the wrong direction.

It's more of a know what the hell you're doing problem than a communication problem. Even on a lot of basic coverages guys don't know what they're doing. Just look how much a player motioning out of the backfield will throw off our defense. The players need to be held a lot more responsible for knowing their assignments. You shouldn't have to talk at all to communicate. You should know what your assignment is and what the guys around you are doing and where you should be in relation to that.

It's more of a know what the hell you're doing problem than a communication problem. Even on a lot of basic coverages guys don't know what they're doing. Just look how much a player motioning out of the backfield will throw off our defense. The players need to be held a lot more responsible for knowing their assignments. You shouldn't have to talk at all to communicate. You should know what your assignment is and what the guys around you are doing and where you should be in relation to that.

Oldjar, sorry but you are off on this one. You shouldn't be able to determine much on a pre snap read for motion. Sometimes they give the D away with a full man to man. The idea is to NOT give the QB a read as to what is going on, who is taking who and all of that. The communication is ABSOLUTELY a must. Just like telling a guy in BB a pick is coming, you have to communicate in FB just as much if not more.

Certainly they need to know what they are doing and where to go but you can't prepare for everything so you have to be able to adjust on the fly.

Oldjar, sorry but you are off on this one. You shouldn't be able to determine much on a pre snap read for motion. Sometimes they give the D away with a full man to man. The idea is to NOT give the QB a read as to what is going on, who is taking who and all of that. The communication is ABSOLUTELY a must. Just like telling a guy in BB a pick is coming, you have to communicate in FB just as much if not more.

Certainly they need to know what they are doing and where to go but you can't prepare for everything so you have to be able to adjust on the fly.
I'm not saying the defense has to shift on motion. I'm saying they have no clue how to adjust to it after the snap. There were several times this year where guys were wide open because a guy went in motion before the snap and we had no one covering him.

As for picks in basketball I always call it out and some guys will still run into the pick every time. Meanwhile I hardly ever run into a pick because I know where it's coming from. You need to have awareness. Our guys need to get a lot better at seeing the field. They need to know when they should pass a guy off to someone else in coverage and you shouldn't need to talk to do it. It happens way too often where a guy just doesn't know his assignment or is doing something completely different from another guy. No amount of talking or communicating is going to fix that because it's already too late. They should know what they're doing before the snap.

if I remember riley's last year was a 3rd and long nightmare...then last year we actually did better on 3rd and long..then this year we are back to choking on stoping 3rd and longs... so we did something right between riley's last year and now

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT