ADVERTISEMENT

"UCLA turned into corn meal by NEB"

Sentence that caught my eye the most... The Cornhuskers ran 62 times and passed just 19. On the one possession Nebraska passed more than it ran, it went three and out.

That should be on the cover of Langsdorf `s playbook.
:D:D It may very well be now. Only had one play call on a 2nd and one I think in the red zone that I questioned much and even that was a logical call given the defensive set.

As much as I loved them running the ball, and as much as I am all for the running game being the core of an offense at Nebraska, I still think it's a good thing that when we do have to throw it, we can covert on 3rd down. We haven't exactly had that luxury in the past. And this isn't just a last-night thing, throughout the whole season I felt like we did well on 3rd down. What a great win last night in Cali though!

Sentence that caught my eye the most... The Cornhuskers ran 62 times and passed just 19. On the one possession Nebraska passed more than it ran, it went three and out.
This is what worries me. That last sentence has held true all year long. Every expert could see that passing game is not working, even the average fan could see the pass was not working. These coaches continued to insist and try and pass first. I understand the passing game is basically all they have know throughout their coaching careers that is their "safety net" so to speak. Good coaches should be able to recognize the pass is not working and find ways to get the run going. WE HAVE THE TALENT for the run game. So did they FINALLY see the run game needs to be #1 priority at Neb, especially now that they are in the BIG10. Or was this a one time deal because of UCLAs poor run D?
Hard to say for sure but if we want this team back on top the run needs to be at the center of the offense next year

one time I think we were at the goal line and just got fancy, should have just pounded the fb and cross 4 times. I think we only got 3 points from it

This is what worries me. That last sentence has held true all year long. Every expert could see that passing game is not working, even the average fan could see the pass was not working. These coaches continued to insist and try and pass first. I understand the passing game is basically all they have know throughout their coaching careers that is their "safety net" so to speak. Good coaches should be able to recognize the pass is not working and find ways to get the run going. WE HAVE THE TALENT for the run game. So did they FINALLY see the run game needs to be #1 priority at Neb, especially now that they are in the BIG10. Or was this a one time deal because of UCLAs poor run D?
Hard to say for sure but if we want this team back on top the run needs to be at the center of the offense next year

I don't see 62 runs a game being in order, some of the teams we played this season weren't as soft against it as UCLA was. I prefer a more focused run game but what we seen last night was not something that is going to work against every team on the schedule.

ADVERTISEMENT