ADVERTISEMENT

UCLA may not play in IA, OH or IN

California announced last week (September 2019) that it has added Iowa to the list of states on its ever-expanding "travel ban" list because of that state's new prohibition against funding gender-transition surgeries under Medicaid.

The announcement by state Attorney General Xavier Becerra means that as of Oct. 4, California will no longer offer taxpayer-funded trips to Iowa for any public employee or student at a state-run university
We will be more than happy to host this game between UCLA and Iowa. For our usual $12 million dollar fee of course from each school.

We are a couple of years away from this even being a thing.
It’s not a thing, bottom line If what the man says about UCLA is true , that the Athletics take no money from the state, like Nebraska, Scott Frost is a State or public employee in a sense, he works for a public University. His Salary is 100 💯 paid by Nebraska Athletics, and Nebraska Athletics is 💯 self sufficient. in other words Frosty is not a state employee and neither is Chip Kelly, so it’s a non issue.

Somebody told me politics wasn't important in regard to expansion... seems like it just might be after all.

Just wait until the B1G reprimands those states on California's list. It would not surprise me in the least, to see something like that happen, where now a California law becomes B1G law.
Won’t happen

Really though who actually travels to Iowa on their on free will? CA probably thought Iowa to list wouldnt bother anyone cause Iowa doesnt get many tourists. Its the type of state that other states pay to send their garbage too and house animal processing plants. Save Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, Iowa City, and Quad Cities there isnt much going on there.
I’ve been to 3 of the 4 , wasn’t much going for them as well.

If you are so good at figuring things out, why did they schedule Auburn in 2028 after the 2015 law was passed?

I lived in California for 36 years. I got real sick of getting lectured about my carbon footprint by Senators and Representatives who flew constantly in private jets. I got sick of them lecturing me about my guns and gun permit when they employed private body guards with (guess what?) guns and concealed permits. I had already left the state by Covid, but I got sick of watching the state government make everyone including school kids mask up and social distance forever, while they had parties and did all kinds of other stuff without their masks on. I got sick of all the hypocrisy and double standards.

If the State of California feels strongly about politics of other states to the point of banning official travel to them, more power to them, I believe in State's Rights. But it should be for ALL state employees including athletic coaches. Letting them slide because of technicalities, the inconvenience, potentially having to forfeit games, and the huge amounts of money involved should not matter. Either the travel ban is important, or it isn't.
Oh the hypocrisy. Do what I tell you not what I do.

I despise rules/laws that sound good maybe at the time but are totally unenforceable.

California has a travel ban (ab1887) to not pay for state employees to travel to a number of states California considers hostile to LGBTQ rights. Iowa, Ohio and Indiana are on the list. While the state does not pay the travel expenses for state schools to travel to athletic events, UCLA has vowed to voluntarily avoid the offending states. UCLA Athletics spokesperson Josh Rupprecht said in an email (in 2017) that UCLA Athletics does not receive any state funding, but would not schedule future games in states that fail to meet the standards established by the new law.

https://oag.ca.gov/ab1887
Amazing that when money is involved how the travel ban can be 'ignored'

It’s not a thing, bottom line If what the man says about UCLA is true , that the Athletics take no money from the state, like Nebraska, Scott Frost is a State or public employee in a sense, he works for a public University. His Salary is 100 💯 paid by Nebraska Athletics, and Nebraska Athletics is 💯 self sufficient. in other words Frosty is not a state employee and neither is Chip Kelly, so it’s a non issue.
1. This isn't' going to be a problem.
2. Kirk Ferentz is a state employee....the highest paid state employee, for that matter. It's irrelevant that the AD isn't subsidized. His check comes from the state.

Reactions: BleedRed78
California announced last week (September 2019) that it has added Iowa to the list of states on its ever-expanding "travel ban" list because of that state's new prohibition against funding gender-transition surgeries under Medicaid.

The announcement by state Attorney General Xavier Becerra means that as of Oct. 4, California will no longer offer taxpayer-funded trips to Iowa for any public employee or student at a state-run university
UCLA can forfeit the game(s) then. No biggie.

Athletic departments are private enterprises, not governed by the California no-play laws.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT