ADVERTISEMENT

ucf vs uconn--just curious, didn't see the game, but

They were top 10 when we beat them so they count as wins against top 10 teams in 2012-2013. Nebraska put UCF on the map twice back in 1997 when basically our 1AA team with 5 star QB Daunte Culpepper lead the eventual national champions at the half and in 2017 with Frost. I have heard Nebraska fans on here say next year UCF will fade out we shall see but Milton will be a Senior next year so I doubt it.

They won’t disappear as long as Milton and a similar system is in place. After Milton and crew are gone they’re either going to slowly fade or they’ll stay consistent. Football teams don’t just forget over night because a coach left, those kids know how to play.

Where have I heard this before?

"Frost loves Orlando, his wife hates cold winters, he loves the AD, better recruiting base in Florida", etc. The only way a successful coach will stay at UCF long-term is if the playoff expands to 8 or more teams. Otherwise, you'll always be a stepping-stone.

A $10million buyout is a drop in the bucket for big-time programs desperate to win. Look at Jimbo Fisher. And that buyout goes down after 2020.

Frost only left Orlando for one reason.

Heup didn't run much RPO in the first game like Frost did & wants Milton to work in the pocket more but offense looked similar. The pace was quicker which I didn't believe when that was talked about in the offseason.

Milton is special though, the real question for both Frost and Heup in the future is how they look without him. The deep ball accuracy is something else
Milton is just a special player and would make a lot of teams and coaches look good. I think we would be 2-3 wins better this year if he were at the helm for us versus an unknown freshman.

Milton is just a special player and would make a lot of teams and coaches look good. I think we would be 2-3 wins better this year if he were at the helm for us versus an unknown freshman.

that 2nd team qb looked pretty good, so, they'll probably good for at least a few years. Did SF recruit him or heupel?

Last edited:
Reactions: UCFhonors
I think Milton has some natural talent, especially in the mental part of the game, but I still don't think he's more than an average qb without the great coaching he's had.

First off, under George O'Leary, UCF was (13-1) in 2013 and ranked #9. They beat TWO top 10 teams that year. UCF has been a top 10 program in 2 of the past 5 years under 2 coaches with completely different styles (old school smash mouth vs. Oregon spread).

Heupel is going nowhere. He has a $10 mil buyout. UCF has the best AD in the country in Danny White. He knows how to promote and how to hire coaches.

Doesn't matter if it's George O'Leary, Frost, or Heupel. The future is at UCF and they have elite athletes.

Yes....because UCF is a destination school, by damn!! Laughing

Why are these idiots here again? I thought we had fumigated the place last year.

Reactions: SOHusker11
I hope so. Verduzco seems like a bit of a crack head. I hope it's a part of his eccentric genius. I'm hopeful.

Interesting progressions as an assistant coach.

Coaching career (HC unless noted)
1977-1986
Soquel High School (California) (Assistant Coach)
1987-1989 Gavilan College(Offensive Coordinator / QB / WR)
1990-1991 San Jose State(Graduate Assistant)
1991-1993 De Anza College(Associate Head Coach / Offensive Coordinator / QB / WR)
1994-1995 De Anza College (Head Coach)
1996-2000 Rutgers (QB / Recruiting coordinator)
2001-2005 Northern Iowa (QB)
2006-2014 Northern Iowa (Co-Offensive Coordinator / QB)
2015 Missouri State (Offensive Coordinator / QB)
2016–2017 UCF (QB)
2018–present Nebraska (QB)

The primary speed issue I noticed, that with SF, the offense would approach the line, and pause for a second look or to get a play confirmation from the sideline. Under Heupel, that second look is gone. The get set, and snap the ball, trying to catch the D, not yet set, or organized.

But, this was UCONN, they are VERY young with a ton on Freshman and Sophs playing. The cupcake is this next week, then UNC at home.

wondering if josh heupal (spelling?) changed the SF ucf offense, much, if anybody can tell.

I just wonder, since there was an entire staff turnover, how readily that offense could be copied by guys who haven't run it before

They are even better on offense and worse on defense this year.

P5 team will outscore them. Their defense was vastly better last year, lost Griffin and a first round corner, some beef up-front.

Boise might be a more complete team.

wondering if josh heupal (spelling?) changed the SF ucf offense, much, if anybody can tell.

I just wonder, since there was an entire staff turnover, how readily that offense could be copied by guys who haven't run it before
They looked faster to me. Didn't look like they missed a beat.

Reactions: footnfan1
I think Milton has some natural talent, especially in the mental part of the game, but I still don't think he's more than an average qb without the great coaching he's had.

Milton just enjoyed a 6 TD game on Friday Night.

While I don't think anyone would say Milton is a future NFL QB or a Top 5 QB in college football...but almost anyone will say he is a VERY good college QB...and far from average...REGARDLESS who is coaching him.

For a kid from Hawaii with just 2 Div I-A Scholarship offers (UCF and Hawaii), all but 2 teams "missed" out on that this kid could become a very special player at the next level. (Happens often...just like how there are 4-5 star kids who end up being busts).

Milton just enjoyed a 6 TD on Friday Night.

While I don't think anyone would say Milton is a future NFL QB or a Top 5 QB in college football...but almost anyone will say he is a VERY good college QB...and far from average...REGARDLESS who is coaching him.

For a kid with just 2 Div I-A Scholarship offers (UCF and Hawaii), all but 2 teams "missed" out on that this kid could become a very special player at the next level. (Happens often...just like how there are 4-5 star kids who end up being busts).

Please don’t quote OldJar as a knowledgeable husker fan... most on here would love to have Milton as our QB. He’s a special talent in spite of what OJ says...

Please don’t quote OldJar as a knowledgeable husker fan... most on here would love to have Milton as our QB. He’s a special talent in spite of what OJ says...

Will do.

Also, don't sleep on Vedral...I was impressed as heck when that true freshmen got some playing time last season...seemed to have many "Miltonisms" in his game.....another "overlooked" QB who probably has a BIG chip on his shoulder.

I don't think people would ever quote you as being knowledgeable either.

Yes....because UCF is a destination school, by damn!! Laughing

Why are these idiots here again? I thought we had fumigated the place last year.
Let’s see, you can make $2.5MM to $3.0MM a year at UCF, rarely have to spend a night in a hotel to recruit, live in a resort style home and city and never have to deal with crazy, unrealistic expectations from fan bases. Yes you can make more money per year at other places but more than likely he will be out of that job in four years. Yes UCF is a destination job, for someone that understands a career is more than a few years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT