ADVERTISEMENT

UCF should think long and hard about Tim Beck

dinglefritz

Nebraska Legend
Jan 14, 2011
for their next head coach if Frost leaves. He's a UCF alum and IMO has the qualities I would want in a head coach. He recruits very well and runs a similar offense to what they're doing now. He is a very organized guy who held up pretty well under tremendous stress trying to work with Pelini. I think he could be successful at UCF.

for their next head coach if Frost leaves. He's a UCF alum and IMO has the qualities I would want in a head coach. He recruits very well and runs a similar offense to what they're doing now. He is a very organized guy who held up pretty well under tremendous stress trying to work with Pelini. I think he could be successful at UCF.

Dont know if sarcastic or not, but that honestly might be a place that worked for Beck as a HC

Dont know if sarcastic or not, but that honestly might be a place that worked for Beck as a HC
I'm absolutely sincere. I think given the turmoil of the Pelini years and TM's constantly injured status, Beck did some pretty darned good things as our OC. The only time I saw him get surly at a press conference was when he was obviously (to me) PO'd at Bo for meddling in his offense. The guy could recruit and he could handle the podium pretty well. In a friendlier lower pressure situation like UCF I think he would do very well. I posted it multiple times that last year that they should can Pelini and promote Beck.

I'm absolutely sincere. I think given the turmoil of the Pelini years and TM's constantly injured status, Beck did some pretty darned good things as our OC. The only time I saw him get surly at a press conference was when he was obviously (to me) PO'd at Bo for meddling in his offense. The guy could recruit and he could handle the podium pretty well. In a friendlier lower pressure situation like UCF I think he would do very well. I posted it multiple times that last year that they should can Pelini and promote Beck.

Well Im not sure Beck coulda cut it here as HC, but def at a lower tier. I always thought he was a decent OC even though a lot of ppl didnt. His offenses were more productive than what we have now.

Reactions: saluno22
I'm sure UCF fans will love this act of kindness. Hire a guy we wanted gone as OC. You do realize UCF was in a 2014 BCS bowl? They had a terrible year in 2015 but are not Little Sisters of the Poor. It would serve many of us right if he stays at UCF and continues building a monster. What arrogant nonsense.

Reactions: Red I 73
I'm sure UCF fans will love this act of kindness. Hire a guy we wanted gone as OC. You do realize UCF was in a 2014 BCS bowl? They had a terrible year in 2015 but are not Little Sisters of the Poor. It would serve many of us right if he stays at UCF and continues building a monster. What arrogant nonsense.
Who is the "we" when you say "we" wanted him gone. I didn't and posted that multiple times. You look at the yards and points the guy put up with banged up QBs and a meddling psychopath for his head coach. He would be a great fit IMO for UCF and runs a similar offense to Frost so the transition would probably be pretty smooth. I liked the guy and thought he got a raw deal from many Husker fans. The offense was not usually our problem during Beck's tenure.

Holy cow, lighten up

I think they should just promote Troy Walters. Keep running the same O and keep rolling.

That's what Oregon thought when they promoted Helfrich. And us when we promoted Solich.

Frost calls the plays at UCF, like Chip Kelly did at Oregon and Osborne did here.

Holy cow, lighten up
I just remember all the times they would show pics of Beck up in the press box trying to call a play while Pelini was screaming F bombs at him in the headset. IF I was looking for a head coach at a school similar to UCF, he would be on my list and I would bet Beck would stay at UCF for a long long time if he had success there.

Yep I thought Beck was a good OC. I think the thing that hindered him here was Bo. His coaching resume is not all that different from Frost’s. GA under Bill Snyder at KSU. Was the WR coach at KU under Mangino. Spent the last 2 seasons as the QB coach and Co-OC at OSU under Urban Myer. And is now the OC at Texas under Herman. That’s learning from some of the best. I doubt he would work out at a P5 school, but I think he would be good as HC at a number of G5 schools.

Who is the "we" when you say "we" wanted him gone. I didn't and posted that multiple times. You look at the yards and points the guy put up with banged up QBs and a meddling psychopath for his head coach. He would be a great fit IMO for UCF and runs a similar offense to Frost so the transition would probably be pretty smooth. I liked the guy and thought he got a raw deal from many Husker fans. The offense was not usually our problem during Beck's tenure.
The offense always fell apart late in the year in the B1G. It was too soft. Hopefully Frost incorporates more power concepts.

Beck's tenure in Columbus did not last long. Let's see how he works out in Austin. I would stay away from him.

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
Holy cow, lighten up
I hope Frost stays at UCF. Then we'll see how the supposed greatest fans react. I hope he realizes what a cesspool he would be walking into. Fans will be screaming for assistant coach heads a year from now when NU struggles to win 6 or 7 games. It's like the last fifteen years didn't happen. We aren't 1997 Nebraska and neither is our fan base.

Why not Beck to NU if he would be good for a program better than ours?

Last edited:
Reactions: footnfan1
I think they should just promote Troy Walters. Keep running the same O and keep rolling.
Moos should Hire Troy Walters for HC at N . So IS it'd Frosts Offense ,or is it Walters Offenses that Frosty fans are crooning for.If Walters Offense ,then we or looking to hire the Wrong HC.Walters for Nebraska HC I'm N

I hope Frost stays at UCF. Then we'll see how the supposed greatest fans react. I hope he realizes what a cesspool he would be walking into. Fans will be screaming for assistant coach heads a year from now when NU struggles to win 6 or 7 games. It's like the last fifteen years didn't happen. We aren't 1997 Nebraska and neither is our fan base.

Clearly not going to lighten up I see. And their program isn’t in the same stratosphere as ours. If you hate that we are taking a coach from poor UCF so much, you could always go rot for them.

Moos should Hire Troy Walters for HC at N . So IS it'd Frosts Offense ,or is it Walters Offenses that Frosty fans are crooning for.If Walters Offense ,then we or looking to hire the Wrong HC.Walters for Nebraska HC I'm N

Walters is the OC and he is up for the Broyals award, it makes sense to promote him if they lose Frost. Get a grip

Florida ran out their head coach after 2 division titles in 2 years. FSU fans want Jimbo to fire all of his assistants after winning a BCS bowl last year and a National Title a few years before. It's not unique to Nebraska.

Frost was one of those fans in 2005 criticizing the coaching staff here - see the thread "Scott Frost blog from 2005". He knows what he's getting into, he was criticized harshly when he played here in 1996. He knows how to handle pressure and criticism.

If you obviously hate NU so much and the husker fans, couldn’t you find something better to do with your time?

Beck is terrible, all qbs get worse each going on with 3 different schools.

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
Yep, UCF is ready to take advice from Nebraska message board geeks.

If Scott leaves, I'll root for him. If he does not, I'll laugh at Nebraska fans showing up at UCF with game signs and yelling at him ( like today in Philly) when his team runs on the field. Its just pathetic. Don't beg.

The offense always fell apart late in the year in the B1G. It was too soft. Hopefully Frost incorporates more power concepts.
Frost and power offense????LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing It's virtually all finesse RPO stuff trying to exploit weaknesses in a defense and make defenders make mistakes with their speed of play. They do NOT have a fullback on their roster.

Reactions: HuskerLLM
Beck's tenure in Columbus did not last long. Let's see how he works out in Austin. I would stay away from him.
Beck's problems in Columbus were Urban. Urban was unhappy because his QB play was inconsistent last year. Guess what, it still is inconsistent (look at their Iowa game). Beck wasn't the problem there IMO.

If Scott leaves, I'll root for him. If he does not, I'll laugh at Nebraska fans showing up at UCF with game signs and yelling at him ( like today in Philly) when his team runs on the field. Its just pathetic. Don't beg.

We get it. You're mad that we're about to take your coach. I would be too if I were in your position, but I wouldn't be pissing and moaning about it on another team's message board. Talk about pathetic.

Reactions: SOHusker11

That's the thing with fan bases that are as loyal and passionate as the Huskers have. There's always going to be a few loonies. Comes with the territory.

Reactions: footnfan1
The guy does nothing but fail upwards.

That's the thing with fan bases that are as loyal and passionate as the Huskers have. There's always going to be a few loonies. Comes with the territory.
Yep, I get it. Just having some fun with you guys. Scott will do what is best for him, and I'll support his decision.

Well Im not sure Beck coulda cut it here as HC, but def at a lower tier. I always thought he was a decent OC even though a lot of ppl didnt. His offenses were more productive than what we have now.

You also have to understand that many vocal Nebraska fans have not liked a single O coordinator since Tom left and only liked him at the end of his career. He took a verbal beating for many years for his offensive play calling, lack of ability to throw, etc. People remember the glory years and want to go back to that, anything else won't work.

Head coaches vs. OC roles ...

There is far more to being a head coach to managing the offense.

A staff is a key component.

If Scott Frost is hired at Nebraska, how will his staff be comprised?

Jeff Brohm was a good hire at Purdue. Paul Chryst is rolling at Wisconsin.

The next 30 days plus will be very interesting in Lincoln and around the College coaching landscape ...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT