ADVERTISEMENT

U of Houston suspending all athletic workouts

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bit more concerning that they specify these positives were symptomatic which increases likelihood of spread
this is a new way to expose the whole team without specifically trying to do it. Just let everybody come in, work out for a week or two THEN test some folks. IF they're lucky the whole football team got exposed so they can be over and done with it within 2 weeks.

Reactions: ZaneHickey
Lmao....Guinea pigs for profit
Of the guys who tested positive the odds are extremely good that they had a "cold" and maybe ran a degree or two of fever. In people that age it's normally over and done with in a couple of days.

Reactions: ZaneHickey
Texas in general and Houston in particular are hotspots for Covid. Texas really started opening on Memorial Day weekend, and just this week the numbers started to spike. With the spike happening at the same time as protests were going on, I expect the numbers to keep going up.
Houston may be an outlier. I don't expect Lincoln to see the same kind of numbers.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Lmao....Guinea pigs for profit
I'm not sure how anyone can view this as different with covid than any other year players aren't paid?

again, football is much more dangerous than the coronavirus for 18-22 year olds.

college football has been gladiatorial in nature for a long, long time.

A virus didn't do that. If it did, the rest of her organs would have been bad enough to not be worth a lung transplant. No way we have the whole story here.

you have no idea what you are talking about - there are currently 400+ patients on ECMO related to COVID in the US - most with primary single organ failure - lungs

the virus primarily damages the lungs - when severe, the ventilator further beats the shit out of the lungs and they gradually become fibrotic and nonviable

Last edited:
A virus didn't do that. If it did, the rest of her organs would have been bad enough to not be worth a lung transplant. No way we have the whole story here.
With all due respect, you are completely out of your element. Covid can destroy a patient’s lungs, and we’ve seen it in patients less than 35 years old without major health problems, whose other organs are functioning relatively normally.

With all due respect, you are completely out of your element. Covid can destroy a patient’s lungs, and we’ve seen it in patients less than 35 years old without major health problems, whose other organs are functioning relatively normally.
Maybe without known major health problems. This girl did not go from perfectly healthy lungs to ribeye steaks in the course of a couple of weeks from a virus. If it did that, this would be far more deadly than we've seen.

You are right. The odds are good - but it only takes one
It's interesting that she's a breast oncologist. She would have no access to what the patient's pre-existing disease history might be. A Dr. I "know" says they are NOT reporting the underlying health problem that is causing the severe cases of COVID-19 in young people. She tells me she's getting 5 or more communications from the CDC per day. There is virtually ZERO risk of serious illness from COVID-19 for healthy late teen to early 20s people. It's about a 1 in a million. The risk from Influenza is actually WAY higher in that age group.

Maybe without known major health problems. This girl did not go from perfectly healthy lungs to ribeye steaks in the course of a couple of weeks from a virus. If it did that, this would be far more deadly than we've seen.
It could. But not with this one. Secondary untreated bacterial pneumonia maybe but in this case it was due to immunosuppression by a drug.

Are you board certified in pulmonary? Severe asthma is a major health problem. The Dr. I "know" well, says this doesn't happen without a pre-existing issue. This Dr. is currently caring for multiple vent patients with COVID-19. .

Are you board certified in pulmonary? Severe asthma is a major health problem. The Dr. I "know" well, says this doesn't happen without a pre-existing issue. This Dr. is currently caring for multiple vent patients with COVID-19. .
I’m a physician, in charge of taking care of over 150 covid pts to date. At one point we had 70 covid pts in the hospital and were out of ICU beds. A St. Paul school board member died this week (at a different hospital) at the age of 30. Absolutely, the biggest risk is for those over 50. But for anyone to imply there is little risk to younger pts is not true. Is a 2-3 week stay in the hospital on high flow oxygen with a high risk of blood clots nothing? Then there is the growing recognition of MIS-C in children. Over 110k dead in 3 months (with the country shut down), vs a bad 12 months of influenza with 50 k dead. This is not influenza, and those passing on that narrative only make the situation worse.

I’m a physician, in charge of taking care of over 150 covid pts to date. At one point we had 70 covid pts in the hospital and were out of ICU beds. A St. Paul school board member died this week (at a different hospital) at the age of 30. Absolutely, the biggest risk is for those over 50. But for anyone to imply there is little risk to younger pts is not true. Is a 2-3 week stay in the hospital on high flow oxygen with a high risk of blood clots nothing? Then there is the growing recognition of MIS-C in children. Over 110k dead in 3 months (with the country shut down), vs a bad 12 months of influenza with 50 k dead. This is not influenza, and those passing on that narrative only make the situation worse.
You're a physician in charge. Are you boarded in pulmonary? So are you willing to share the comorbidity the 30 year old who died had? Asthma, diabetes, heart disease, chemotherapy, RA therapy? Oh that's right, you don't have access to that information (or at least you're not supposed to). You just commented about the girl with the transplant. Turns our she was on an immunosuppressive drug. What percentage of your patients age 18 to 25 WITH NO COMPLICATING FACTORS require hospitalization? I'll answer for you. None.

The Kawasaki syndrome as you know occurs in children from multiple pathogens. When you have millions of children exposed to this virus of course you're going to see things like we're seeing with COVID-19. Early recognition and treatment is important. As you know, the CDC says that this is rare and death is very rare. Again we don't know what underlying conditions may have contributed to the very few deaths that have occurred from this. Cystic fibrosis, negligence, delayed recognition by the physician, improper treatment etc. Unfortunately many urban families rely on ER docs or worse yet NPs for their children's care. That's not always a good situation and you know it.

Reactions: NorthwoodHusker
Life has little meaning anymore... we have doubled the deaths in Vietnam and it is no big deal... crazy...
It IS a big deal. The 3 blue state governors who forced nursing homes to take COVID-19 patients should be prosecuted. Over 30,000 deaths occurred in those 3 states in their nursing homes. They've tried to fudge the numbers by making the hospitals count them in their death totals after they were transferred out of the nursing homes. Maybe NY should have shut down mass transit. F'n idiots. That said, most if not all of the new cases in our area have been in people who either have a work related exposure or are just plain knuckleheads who don't take any precautions. If you go to a bar, you had better assume you're going to get exposed. IF you work in a packing plant with immigrant labor, you better assume you're going to get exposed.

I'm wondering how many people will dies as a result of contracting COVID-19 during the protests these past 2 weeks. Apparently the protestors don't care.

Last edited:
When offseason workouts kill someone, do we forever cancel off season workouts?
We should all just be safe and go back into hiding. That is what made America great, historically. Citizens ready to hide, collectively, in the face of any sort of danger. Not about surveying the landscape, sizing up risks, doing a risk assessment...just hide. Land of the free and home of the safe.

I think there are more young people with underlying health issues than some realize. Everyone wearing masks would keep this virus well contained. But just like people won't stop risky behaviors that spread the HIV virus, not many people seem to want to bother with a mask either. By the way, the latest info suggests that a mutation did occur somewhere in Italy and that strain is 10 times more contagious and is the strain that ravaged Europe and the East Coast. My guess is that strain now has made its way to LA, Arizona, etc just in time for the reopening of everything. Could get ugly again out there. Mask up!

Reactions: regionsdoc
We should all just be safe and go back into hiding. That is what made America great, historically. Citizens ready to hide, collectively, in the face of any sort of danger. Not about surveying the landscape, sizing up risks, doing a risk assessment...just hide. Land of the free and home of the safe.
So true.

You're a physician in charge. Are you boarded in pulmonary? So are you willing to share the comorbidity the 30 year old who died had? Asthma, diabetes, heart disease, chemotherapy, RA therapy? Oh that's right, you don't have access to that information (or at least you're not supposed to). You just commented about the girl with the transplant. Turns our she was on an immunosuppressive drug. What percentage of your patients age 18 to 25 WITH NO COMPLICATING FACTORS require hospitalization? I'll answer for you. None.

The Kawasaki syndrome as you know occurs in children from multiple pathogens. When you have millions of children exposed to this virus of course you're going to see things like we're seeing with COVID-19. Early recognition and treatment is important. As you know, the CDC says that this is rare and death is very rare. Again we don't know what underlying conditions may have contributed to the very few deaths that have occurred from this. Cystic fibrosis, negligence, delayed recognition by the physician, improper treatment etc. Unfortunately many urban families rely on ER docs or worse yet NPs for their children's care. That's not always a good situation and you know it.
seriously, what is your problem? Do you think I’m going to give you identifying information on a football board? I’m a board certified physician (all you need to know) who takes care of individual Covid pts, and is tasked with coordinating the care of all Covid pts in our system. “I don’t have access to that information”? Seriously, what is your problem? And I never commented on the pt needing a transplant. I documented the young woman in St. Paul who died a few days ago. Either you are Benignly mixing up posters, or your rage/agenda is getting to you.

seriously, what is your problem? Do you think I’m going to give you identifying information on a football board? I’m a board certified physician (all you need to know) who takes care of individual Covid pts, and is tasked with coordinating the care of all Covid pts in our system. “I don’t have access to that information”? Seriously, what is your problem? And I never commented on the pt needing a transplant. I documented the young woman in St. Paul who died a few days ago. Either you are Benignly mixing up posters, or your rage/agenda is getting to you.

Never argue with dingle.

He stayed in Holiday Inn last night.

Very few if any power five schools have been as half assed with their testing. The reality is a lot of schools will experience positive tests. Presumably they’ll be much better prepared than Houston

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
the latest info suggests that a mutation did occur somewhere in Italy and that strain is 10 times more contagious and is the strain that ravaged Europe and the East Coast. My guess is that strain now has made its way to LA, Arizona, etc just in time for the reopening of everything. Could get ugly again out there. Mask up!

Thanks but no thanks. I've masked up voluntarily for long enough. I'm done. I want life to come back. I'm no more worried about the Muhan virus than I am about any other virus. Democrats would LOVE to lock us at home and close businesses because of a new mutated virus. But real Americans should be done with this nonsense.

Reactions: bshirt73
I don't understand why they would be suspending all workouts. Don't they test on a regular basis and immediately isolate anybody who tests positive? Why wouldn't those who test negative continue a safe routine?

Known exposure to an infected person and show some symptoms on average 5 days later

so in those who has been exposed and become symptomatic around day 5

false negative rate of test

day 1 after exposure - 100% false negative
Day 4 - 67% false negative
Day 5 (symptom onset) - 38% false negative
Day 8 (symptoms for 4 days) - 20% false neg

20% false negative is as precise as it gets.

https://www.acc.org/latest-in-cardi...2/variation-in-false-negative-rate-of-reverse

Reactions: dinglefritz
Thanks but no thanks. I've masked up voluntarily for long enough. I'm done. I want life to come back. I'm no more worried about the Muhan virus than I am about any other virus. Democrats would LOVE to lock us at home and close businesses because of a new mutated virus. But real Americans should be done with this nonsense.

I don’t understand this resistance to wearing a mask when out in stores-groups etc. It is cheap - benign - and takes minimal effort. There is little, if any downside and if anything increases the chance that things open up and stay open and that includes the chances of seeing football this year.

But I guess it is too much of an inconvenience for many.

I don’t understand this resistance to wearing a mask when out in stores-groups etc. It is cheap - benign - and takes minimal effort. There is little, if any downside and if anything increases the chance that things open up and stay open and that includes the chances of seeing football this year.

But I guess it is too much of an inconvenience for many.

Then knock yourself out and wear one. I will continue to pass. Cannot speak for others but for me the covid reaction feels a little scammy, I won't do a thing to legitimize it....and we also have about as many people who argue it does no good as we do who will argue the opposite. So it's certainly not a black and white issue by any means.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT