ADVERTISEMENT

Tyreke is N

Plan is for him to play corner, he liked the scheme and the plan Fish showed him. Played with Deontai in HS and they've kept in touch. Peer recruiting may have sealed the deal.

Johnson was listed as the backup CB on both sides for the game against Bama and will be competing for a spot with scholarship corners.
With both CB starters Banks and Brown sidelined this spring from injuries, other underclassman were getting strong looks over Johnson. He probably wouldn't even have been 2nd string for Ohio State next fall.

With both CB starters Banks and Brown sidelined this spring from injuries, other underclassman were getting strong looks over Johnson. He probably wouldn't even have been 2nd string for Ohio State next fall.
literally on the team at ohiost = instant playing time at NU

how many guys on our team even garnered an offer from ohiost? guessing very, very few

After reading the OSU boards, many seem to think Johnson would fit in better at safety. He certainly has the athleticism. Like a few already mentioned, they had some really good DBs from later classes move ahead of him. Many times, a change in schools can work wonders for some kids. Have a feeling he'll excel at Nebraska

literally on the team at ohiost = instant playing time at NU

how many guys on our team even garnered an offer from ohiost? guessing very, very few
Yeah, saw an article awhile back on the number of transfers - many 4 and 5 stars - from Alabama, OSU, and Georgia over the last few years and it's staggering. You could field a HS All-American team just from them. Just shows how confident most of these kids are when they'll commit to a school already loaded with blue-chip talent

Last edited:
After reading the OSU boards, many seem to think Johnson would fit in better at safety. He certainly has the athleticism. Like a few already mentioned, they had some really good DBs from later classes move ahead of him. Many times, a change in schools can work wonders for some kids. Have a feeling he'll excel at Nebraska
I hope he comes in and sets the world on fire, becomes all league and more. I have to ask the question what makes you think he will all of a sudden "excel"? Will it better coaching? Better scheme? The bottom line is he was down the list on a tOSU team which says a lot about their depth and ours as well. He has a better chance of playing at Nebraska for obvious reasons, there aren't as many guys he has to climb over for PT. He has the 5* going for him I guess but that doesn't seem to be translating to the field. Time will tell.

Last edited:
I hope he comes in and sets the world in fire, becomes all league and more. I have to ask the question what makes you think he will all of a sudden *excel"? Will it better coaching? Better scheme? The bottom line is he was down the list on tOSU team which says a lot about their depth and ours as well. He has a better chance of playing at Nebraska for obvious reasons, there aren't as many guys he has to climb over for PT. He has the 5* going for him I guess but that doesn't seem to be translating to the field. Time will tell.
he's by far the highest rated recruit we've landed under Frost, if not the entirety of the last decade

he should be the best athlete we have on defense the second he sets foot on campus

I hope he comes in and sets the world in fire, becomes all league and more. I have to ask the question what makes you think he will all of a sudden *excel"? Will it better coaching? Better scheme? The bottom line is he was down the list on tOSU team which says a lot about their depth and ours as well. He has a better chance of playing at Nebraska for obvious reasons, there aren't as many guys he has to climb over for PT. He has the 5* going for him I guess but that doesn't seem to be translating to the field. Time will tell.
The reason I think he'll excel is for the reason you mentioned: he'll finally have a chance to play at Nebraska. He's still an outstanding athlete but was just buried on OSU's depth chart

The reason I think he'll excel is for the reason you mentioned: he'll finally have a chance to play at Nebraska. He's still an outstanding athlete but was just buried on OSU's depth chart
See, you are making a point, but not the one I think you want. The reason he will have a chance to play is because we don't have the athletes, not because he is very good, he is just better than what we have.

I get that he is one of the highest rated players we have had in like forever, but there is something to be proven here. I recall Joseph was supposed to be the savior with his stars and all and he hasn't seen the field yet as well.

It is fun to star gaze and be optimistic about players coming in but in Johnson's case, he isn't coming right out of HS, he has been in one of the best programs in the country which tells us something.

See, you are making a point, but not the one I think you want. The reason he will have a chance to play is because we don't have the athletes, not because he is very good, he is just better than what we have.

I get that he is one of the highest rated players we have had in like forever, but there is something to be proven here. I recall Joseph was supposed to be the savior with his stars and all and he hasn't seen the field yet as well.

It is fun to star gaze and be optimistic about players coming in but in Johnson's case, he isn't coming right out of HS, he has been in one of the best programs in the country which tells us something.
"Johnson's lack of playing time was likely due to those ahead of him on the depth chart, not because he lacks talent and potential. Keep in mind Johnson was playing in a secondary that boasted NFL draft picks Jeff Okudah (1st round, 2020), Damon Arnette (1st round, 2020), Kendall Sheffield (4th round, 2019), Shaun Wade (5th round, 2021) and Jordan Fuller (6th round, 2020).

The Buckeyes maintain enviable talent in the secondary. The competition is fierce, despite returning three of four starters. You're talking about a room (and roster) that is essentially full of four- and five-star prospects. CB1 is senior Sevyn Banks, who has a chance to be a 1st round pick in 2022. Safety Josh Proctor will be a mid-round selection in 2022 as well. Johnson went into spring ball competing with incumbent senior starter Marcus Williamson and talented junior Cameron Brown for the corner spot opposite Banks. Williamson came out of spring still holding his starting spot, and Johnson was neck-and-neck with Brown for CB3."

So not really arguing here with you but you're kind of all over the map here. Who says we don't have athletes?
I get that you don't like Frost, but to say one of the top regarded defenses in the B1G doesn't have athletes is, well, kinda nutty and smacks of either an agenda, lack of reason or both. I posted the above to show that Johnson had more experienced TOP FLIGHT competition in front of him, and "he has been in one of the best programs in the country which tells us something." Maybe the desire of playing sooner rather than later is the reason he came here, but sure as hell it is not because the defense does not have athletes.

That's what I thought looking at his high school film. He doesn't really flip his hips the way you'd like to see a CB. If I'm not mistaken Shaun Wade was also an OSU safety-to-CB convert. Wade really got dusted up last season in multiple games. If we're looking for a good player to compare Tyreke to Marquel Dismuke is a good choice. I think he might be a bit faster but Johnson needs to hit the weight room like Dismuke did. I think we ultimately see him at safety.

That's what I thought looking at his high school film. He doesn't really flip his hips the way you'd like to see a CB. If I'm not mistaken Shaun Wade was also an OSU safety-to-CB convert. Wade really got dusted up last season in multiple games. If we're looking for a good player to compare Tyreke to Marquel Dismuke is a good choice. I think he might be a bit faster but Johnson needs to hit the weight room like Dismuke did. I think we ultimately see him at safety.

Feel like he is kind of a hybrid who could be very good at safety and effective at corner.

Assuming he doesn't beat one of top four out in secondary, Is Nickel an option in 2021 to keep him happy until spots open up at Safety and Corner in 2022.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Feel like he is kind of a hybrid who could be very good at safety and effective at corner.

Assuming he doesn't beat one of top four out in secondary, Is Nickel an option in 2021 to keep him happy until spots open up at Safety and Corner in 2022.
5 star player with 3 years left to play who was good enough to be in the 2 deep at times at OSU. Their DB recruiting has been ridiculous. We are very fortunate to get this guy. He's going to play for us this fall if not start.

ADVERTISEMENT