ADVERTISEMENT

Ty Robinson

Ty looked good today but I think most of us knew this was coming. The big guy who impressed me also was Keen Green. That guys does have an NFL body and showed his ability to run today as well. I think he's one of our 3 best DL if today is an indicator.

Holla
There was one "Suh-like" play late in the game where the running back or receiver took a swing pass and Keen was the guy who knocked him out of bounds for a short gain. Right after that play I said to my group that a d-linemen just made the tackle on the sideline. I noticed.

Little disappointed in Daniels today. He played decent overall, but seemed to get beat at the worst possible times.

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15
Ty still has a long ways to go. Our D-line still overpursues a lot on reach blocks or when the Guard pulls and Ohio State is as good as anyone at using misdirection to exploit a defense. Ty Robinson was guilty of this a number of times. He has a lot of upside, but Ohio State exploited our young guys a number of times.

Reactions: HuskerBlueDevil
Ty still has a long ways to go. Our D-line still overpursues a lot on reach blocks or when the Guard pulls and Ohio State is as good as anyone at using misdirection to exploit a defense. Ty Robinson was guilty of this a number of times. He has a lot of upside, but Ohio State exploited our young guys a number of times.
They are young but they were tough at that point of attack and they stayed with assignments as you noticed the counters and cut backs against the grain didn’t kill us as it has the last umpteen years.

I thought Stille played well and I was happy with how Robinson played. I liked what I saw from Green in his first action. He's a big guy that can move. I like him outside more than I do inside. Needs to hold the LOS a little better. I think he will improve with game experience. Want to see more of him. I thought Rogers did some good things and is a capable backup to spell the starters. Also needs to continue working on holding the LOS. I thought Daniels was fine but would like to see him play with lower pad level on those short yardage situations. We got crushed a few times. He was more effective vs run than pass. Hoping to see Riley at NG at some point to see what he can give us. Did Thomas get hurt?? Where was he? Wildeman also got a few snaps. Got his feet wet.
I think the DL did fine.

I was also happy with the ILB's for the most part. Honas and Miller did a pretty good job. but we are thin there. Hope Reimers gets back. Want to see what he can do. We had a couple of times where we weren't in the right defense but I don't know if that was a coaches call, misalignment or a LB call. We had NOBODY in the middle as they spread us out and we got gashed by read option at least 3 times on that. Need an expert to help me understand how to defend that.

The OLB's are still a work in progress. I think it's better than last year but still needs work. I kind of like the 4 man fronts. It will be interesting to see what they do against Wisky.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Miller is just too slow. Thought honas played well enough. Thought we tackled really well on short passes which was a nice change.
Miller took himself out of the play on one TD run by Fields I think it was and I saw him take a really bad angle on another one. Other than that, I was reasonably happy with our LB play. IMO we got better backer play overall than I've seen for a while against a really good offense. I was encouraged by the physicality of our D line as well. While the result wasn't what I had hoped, I saw a lot of encouraging things. We were not able to stay with OSU's WRs but that doesn't surprise me all that much. I don't think anybody else in the B1G will either.

The biggest disappointment for me in this game was all of the penalties. Quite of few of them including that face mask on that punt return were complete horseshit. It's kind of hard to believe that we were called for 5 holding penalties in the first half and OSU didn't hold a single time????? It kind of went the way I was a afraid it would. The B1G has way too much at stake from OSU getting in the final 4.

Miller took himself out of the play on one TD run by Fields I think it was and I saw him take a really bad angle on another one. Other than that, I was reasonably happy with our LB play. IMO we got better backer play overall than I've seen for a while against a really good offense. I was encouraged by the physicality of our D line as well. While the result wasn't what I had hoped, I saw a lot of encouraging things. We were not able to stay with OSU's WRs but that doesn't surprise me all that much. I don't think anybody else in the B1G will either.

The biggest disappointment for me in this game was all of the penalties. Quite of few of them including that face mask on that punt return were complete horseshit. It's kind of hard to believe that we were called for 5 holding penalties in the first half and OSU didn't hold a single time????? It kind of went the way I was a afraid it would. The B1G has way too much at stake from OSU getting in the final 4.

Agree on the penalties, and if you go re-watch the game there were egregious holds not called on OSU. I don't think the refs cost us the game as we were going to lose to them no matter what, not bitching about that, but that game is a lot closer without that shit. If we go down 17-14 at half, that game has a way different feel. Especially since we moved the ball pretty well, just made untimely turnovers.

I agree. I was pleasantly surprised with Payne and the only one who looked bad was Nelson. The rest kind of held their own. I liked what I saw out of that group. Definitely a great base if they maintain that level of play.
Nelson didn't play great, but Henrich was worse and Tannor didn't play much better.

Nelson was by far the worst in my opinion. He is swimming in it for whatever reason. Tannor made a few plays and had a sack, but go back and watch Nelson. He was bad.
I think Nelson missed some practice time due to injury, so he's a little behind the curve. I think he'll be fine though.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Collin miller is a good leader, and a decent run stopper. He has no lateral speed, and little to no pass coverage ability. He reminds me of Mohammed Barry. Great attitude but he is everything that had been wrong with our linebackers for quite some time now. No speed,always sits back and waits for the play instead of attacking the play, wide pursuit angles and easily confused. He also leaves his assignments regularly because he is afraid of a 55+ yard run busting at moments notice. Almost like ptsd.

Payne had some issues with ending up in the same gap as another Husker which is understandable considering it's a new position for him. He physically looks like he is up for the challenge though and I liked when they did the 4 man front when Payne was in a 3 pt stance and Domann was more of a 4-3 LB.

Payne had some issues with ending up in the same gap as another Husker which is understandable considering it's a new position for him. He physically looks like he is up for the challenge though and I liked when they did the 4 man front when Payne was in a 3 pt stance and Domann was more of a 4-3 LB.
I was sure Payne was going to be a hand in the dirt DE for us but he's obviously not big enough for that. I could see him at DE in a 4-3. I liked how they changed things up with the 4 man fronts at times.

I was sure Payne was going to be a hand in the dirt DE for us but he's obviously not big enough for that. I could see him at DE in a 4-3. I liked how they changed things up with the 4 man fronts at times.

I thought I read that he got sick and lost some weight and that spurred the position change. I could be remembering incorrectly though.

I actually thought Payne looked decent. That might be a good spot for him as he performed better than most that were tried.

Nelson looked hobbled to me. There was a play near our end zone where Ohio State ran towards the left side of the field. Nelson was pursuing from his position and seemed to be taking very short and peculiar strides. Arrived very late to the play despite having no contact. For his sake, I hope it is something physical that will correct itself.

Remember-- we were probably going to look bad given that we were playing on the road against a probable playoff team. First game jitters. A lot of first time starters up front. I really thought we held up well overall, especially in the first half. Take away those two turnovers and some horrible calls and its probably a 38-24 game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT