ADVERTISEMENT

Ty Hahn is N

Gotta love the return of our walk on program. It not only adds depth and a potential starter/contributor now and then, but it solidifies the culture. I love the infusion of these Nebraska kids into the program. Makes me damn proud.

There were many on here a few years back claiming there was no way we could ever resurrect the walk on program and make it something special again. Times have changed we were told. College is too expensive so these kids will gravitate toward the lesser schools where they can get scholarships. Ha. Wrong.

And somewhere Dave Rimington is getting the last laugh.

I did not read the article, does it say if he’s reporting in January 2020 or is he reporting in June 2020? The reason I ask is because if he reports in June 2020 that means he does not go on scholarship until after the 2021 football season. That would be two years of football not on scholarship period
The article says 2 years no scholly, 3 years with. Assumed redshirt first year but doesn’t get that far into the weeds.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I did not read the article, does it say if he’s reporting in January 2020 or is he reporting in June 2020? The reason I ask is because if he reports in June 2020 that means he does not go on scholarship until after the 2021 football season. That would be two years of football not on scholarship period

It didn't say, but I would be surprised if he is coming in January. You don't see that much from these tiny schools in Nebraska.

Along with Bunch, who was the other walk on that is in the portal this year?

Gotta love the return of our walk on program. It not only adds depth and a potential starter/contributor now and then, but it solidifies the culture. I love the infusion of these Nebraska kids into the program. Makes me damn proud.

There were many on here a few years back claiming there was no way we could ever resurrect the walk on program and make it something special again. Times have changed we were told. College is too expensive so these kids will gravitate toward the lesser schools where they can get scholarships. Ha. Wrong.

Excellent post compadre'. Damn well said.

He's playing basketball, so he's not graduating until next May. The plan is to redshirt next year (2020), and then go on scholarship after his redshirt freshman season (2021), unless he earns it sooner.

Reactions: dinglefritz
He was promised a scholarship within 18 months:

I hope this doesn't come back to bite someone in the butt in 2 years. I wonder if that "promise" was meant to be keep on the DL or not. I know you see attrition with team and players, but at least when you get engaged to get married you get a ring.

There have been some interesting scholarship talk in the last 24 hrs with things like Blue Shirts and promising scholie $ 1 1/2 years out.

Reactions: WHCSC

Not to rain on your parade, but I’d hardly call him a walk on if he’s getting a scholarship in 18 months.

me too. it just means more.

don't tell Tuco, though.

I'm not an expert on these kinds of things but I am pretty skeptical of the idea of promising someone a scholarship after 18 months. If the kid is worth a scholarship, give it to him now. If he wants to walk on, let him earn a scholarship. We are now in a position where we could possibly find ourselves with a player that hasn't earned a scholly but we promised it, so either we don't honor a promise and damage recruiting connections in the future or we do honor it and have dead weight on the roster.

Hopefully there are at least conditions that make this promise valid. Maybe the kid was giving a rendition of an agreement that sounded more solid than it is.

Reactions: Bruce1981 and WHCSC
I was not aware that Tuco was against the walk on program. Are you sure?
he's against the idea that just because a kid's from NE means he's got more to play for or will play harder at NU.

I'm not so sure. tough to gauge either way. obviously we've had tons of out-of-state kids come here and become All-Americans and the best players in husker history.

the more in-state kids on the roster, the better, I think.

Reactions: bigRed-no-BiilyC
Not to rain on your parade, but I’d hardly call him a walk on if he’s getting a scholarship in 18 months.
Will he have a scholarship next year? No. That is a walk on. Lots of players who were initially walk ons end up on scholarship. The only difference here is that apparently he has been “promised” a scholarship eventually. But I am sure that that is contingent upon performance as well. No way he gets a scholarship in 18 months if he shows up and turns out to be a lazy asshole.

he's against the idea that just because a kid's from NE means he's got more to play for or will play harder at NU.

I'm not so sure. tough to gauge either way. obviously we've had tons of out-of-state kids come here and become All-Americans and the best players in husker history.

the more in-state kids on the roster, the better, I think.
Ok. Thanks.
We have had tons of non Nebraska guys come in here and bust their balls. But most of them will tell you that watching the less talented walk on guys from Nebraska busting their balls too, really motivated them. it ain’t a zero sum game.

Will he have a scholarship next year? No. That is a walk on. Lots of players who were initially walk ons end up on scholarship. The only difference here is that apparently he has been “promised” a scholarship eventually. But I am sure that that is contingent upon performance as well. No way he gets a scholarship in 18 months if he shows up and turns out to be a lazy asshole.
That’s what worries me. A promise is a promise. Typically I like our walkons to earn their schollys, but so far I think Scott has had a great eye for talent so I trust him.

I'm not an expert on these kinds of things but I am pretty skeptical of the idea of promising someone a scholarship after 18 months. If the kid is worth a scholarship, give it to him now. If he wants to walk on, let him earn a scholarship. We are now in a position where we could possibly find ourselves with a player that hasn't earned a scholly but we promised it, so either we don't honor a promise and damage recruiting connections in the future or we do honor it and have dead weight on the roster.

Hopefully there are at least conditions that make this promise valid. Maybe the kid was giving a rendition of an agreement that sounded more solid than it is.

I think after his Joe Burrow comments, Frost doesn't want any athletic kids who dream of playing here to get away again.

Gifford and Hahn have the measurables and the work ethic to be great players eventually. They are high-character young men. Even if they don't become stars, at the very least, they will contribute a lot on special teams and add depth and push the other players. We've had a lot of 4-star recruits who didn't last very long over the last decade, so what's the harm in giving these kids a chance who want to be here so much they are willing to turn down other FBS offers?

I think after his Joe Burrow comments, Frost doesn't want any athletic kids who dream of playing here to get away again.

Gifford and Hahn have the measurables and the work ethic to be great players eventually. They are high-character young men. Even if they don't become stars, at the very least, they will contribute a lot on special teams and add depth and push the other players. We've had a lot of 4-star recruits who didn't last very long over the last decade, so what's the harm in giving these kids a chance who want to be here so much they are willing to turn down other FBS offers?
^^^^This^^^^

Hahn is a farm kid, I don't think work ethic will be a problem - much like Drew Ott and Nathan Bazata, who we let get away to Iowa. But yeah, I'm guessing Frost said something like he needs to make the 2-Deep or at least contribute heavily on special teams in the first 2 years to earn the scholarship.

I just wonder how Isaiah Stalbird feels though, he actually was on the 2-deep this season as a redshirt freshman and played a lot of special teams - but didn't earn a scholarship so he's in the transfer portal. Is Hahn really a better prospect than Stalbird?

Yeah not sure if Coach Frost wants that out there, BUT I would guess there's also more to the story. Like you have to work hard and prove that in 2 years you've earned it and deserve one.

Skip the weight room and late for practices won't cut it. "Fat drunk and stupid......."

Reactions: Pennsyhusker

no problem with walkon grey shirts or whatever

but the lesson of the Burrow situation is keep your mouth shut and don’t make stupid comments that make you and the program look like idiots rather than we should offer every kid with any kind husker tie just because one day they might one turn out to be good

I hope you're right, but its impossible to measure a kids character coming out of high school. Kids go to college and totally change, some for the better and some for the worse. I trust frost and his judgment here but it seems like if a kid is worth promising a future scholarship they should be worth a scholarship right now. Maybe it's a deal where the parents are happy to support the program and pay their kids way for a while so that we can free up spots for other kids. Who knows, but the idea of a promise without any details sounds funky.

no problem with walkon grey shirts or whatever

but the lesson of the Burrow situation is keep your mouth shut and don’t make stupid comments that make you and the program look like idiots rather than we should offer every kid with any kind husker tie just because one day they might one turn out to be good
Must have missed it... are you telling us (again) that Frost stupidly passed on Burrow? Wow... what an idiot he turned out to be...

I’m sure there’s details we aren’t aware of. Point is he’s passing up other D1 scholarship opportunities so the coaching staff is meeting him halfway. I’m also sure he will be processed if not competitive roster wise. I think I saw the walk-on program was designed with numbers in each class that progressively reduce so it has a competitive element cooked into it.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Hahn is a farm kid, I don't think work ethic will be a problem - much like Drew Ott and Nathan Bazata, who we let get away to Iowa. But yeah, I'm guessing Frost said something like he needs to make the 2-Deep or at least contribute heavily on special teams in the first 2 years to earn the scholarship.

I just wonder how Isaiah Stalbird feels though, he actually was on the 2-deep this season as a redshirt freshman and played a lot of special teams - but didn't earn a scholarship so he's in the transfer portal. Is Hahn really a better prospect than Stalbird?

This is a great post.

His measurables are great. He played in the smallest 8-man class in the state, so it's hard to judge his football talent against weak competition, but I've heard he was very impressive in the summer camps. Duval and Ellis said he could probably get up to 215 lbs without losing any speed and athleticism.

Must have missed it... are you telling us (again) that Frost stupidly passed on Burrow? Wow... what an idiot he turned out to be...

not at all .... I completely understand why he passed. The issue isn’t passing on him ... talent eval misses happen all the time

the issue is when he opened his mouth about “do you think he is better than what we’ve got” quote- no reason to run your mouth and make yourself and the program look like idiots.

I’ve said this multiple times - never have been critical about not getting him - just the stupid media comments

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT