ADVERTISEMENT

Two weeks later...

I think right now Urban is looking for reasons to not discuss taking the NU. In other words, he is very interested, it has everything he wants.

Huge fan base
crazy resources
huge NIL
Top 5-10 name in college football history
He goes out of his way to say nice things about the program for a guy who has zero interest. He was even talking about our conditioning program under Devaney unprompted.

He was even talking about our conditioning program under Devaney unprompted.
Yeah...when he was pointing out the advantages that you guys used to have. Go back and listen again, it was part of a list they were putting together of why you guys were great back in the day but no longer are now. Not exactly to be taken as a compliment.

Yeah...when he was pointing out the advantages that you guys used to have. Go back and listen again, it was part of a list they were putting together of why you guys were great back in the day but no longer are now. Not exactly to be taken as a compliment.

Aren’t we lucky to have you around to point these things out for us 🙄

Reactions: bshirt73
He goes out of his way to say nice things about the program for a guy who has zero interest. He was even talking about our conditioning program under Devaney unprompted.
He really does say great things, I think he really appreciate what NU football is.

Reactions: oldjar07
PRA- Proven Recruiting Acumen is high on my list of desired traits.
While there could be lightning in some of these bottles, it feels like a huge gamble to take someone who has no proven track record recruiting to P5 teams.
If the HC lacks that, it’s critical to find assistants who do.

Reactions: headcard
I don't think you're wrong, I know you are wrong. A little odd your reponse. Tuco's a big boy, he can clear up what he meant when he brought up race. I don't think he will make any other effort to do so, because it is clear what he meant.
You haven’t been paying any attention to what has been going on for the past several years pertaining to hires. Personally I would welcome a minority hire IF he’s qualified and a good fit. Aranda fits both. Hell I was pissed that Tom didn’t hire Turner. Methinks thou protesteth a little too much about Tuco’s advocacy for Aranda

He wasn't trying to be complimentary. He said this is what Nebraska needs to get back to doing. Player development

And he did talk about the fan base.

You haven’t been paying any attention to what has been going on for the past several years pertaining to hires. Personally I would welcome a minority hire IF he’s qualified and a good fit. Aranda fits both. Hell I was pissed that Tom didn’t hire Turner. Methinks thou protesteth a little too much about Tuco’s advocacy for Aranda
Ffs, go back and read what he posted. Talk about not paying attention. He didn't even know Aranda wasn't white until I pointed ot out, and when asked for his candidates, he pooped himself. You got some reading to do dingle.

Ffs, go back and read what he posted. Talk about not paying attention. He didn't even know Aranda wasn't white until I pointed ot out, and when asked for his candidates, he pooped himself. You got some reading to do dingle.
Not sure why you are so offended by the fact that all but 1 of the candidates talked about were white guys from the midwest in their mid 50's who want to run the ball 70% of the time. The fact that you are probably says more about you than me.

For the record, I am very familiar with Aranda's heritage and background.

No one knows for sure what the new coach will do, hopefully it will be good. Track record should be considered, but there are also a lot of guys that just won’t take the Nebraska job because of the location and pressure cooker.
If I made my own personal list in order of want, excluding Saban, Dabo, Riley, Bob Stoops, Smart:

1) Urban
2) Whittingham
3) Mark Stoops
4) Dan Mullen
5) Brian Kelly
6) Lane Kiffen
7) Dan Doeren
8) Kalen DeBoer
Leipold/Klieman

I know it will be a long 8 weeks, that’s for sure
Don't agree with your list after UM.
Kiffin at # 2
Your 2,3,4 &5 I would eliminate and add Aranda as # 3

Not sure why you are so offended by the fact that all but 1 of the candidates talked about were white guys from the midwest in their mid 50's who want to run the ball 70% of the time. The fact that you are probably says more about you than me.

For the record, I am very familiar with Aranda's heritage and background.
Im not the one who brought it up, racist. I know you are familiar, you read up on him after I pointed out the stupidity of your post in a chain supporting a non-white coach that pretty much everyone wants. Well done, Im sure you knew what you were talking about.

Still waiting on your lengthy list of minority coaches that should be interviewed.

You’re the only one that I can find who has brought up race in this thread. It’s kind of a bad look for you.

You’re the only one that I can find who has brought up race in this thread. It’s kind of a bad look for you.
Try thinking outside of a small box. Check out the "Aranda rumor" thread, which was before this thread, and which you were involved in. Could be difficult for you to find, but trust me, it's out there. Tuco went full racist in the thread. There isn't any question about it. So when he says that all he wants is a competent coach, no, that isn't all he wants. You either can't understand it, you don't remember the thread, or it is too emotional for you to deal with, whatever it is, it is a bad look for you.

Im not the one who brought it up, racist. I know you are familiar, you read up on him after I pointed out the stupidity of your post in a chain supporting a non-white coach that pretty much everyone wants. Well done, Im sure you knew what you were talking about.

Still waiting on your lengthy list of minority coaches that should be interviewed.
@Tuco Salamanca

Still waiting.

Try thinking outside of a small box. Check out the "Aranda rumor" thread, which was before this thread, and which you were involved in. Probably difficult for you to find, but trust me, it's out there. Tuco went full racist in the thread. There isn't any question about it. So when he says that all he wants is a competent coach, no, that isn't all he wants. You either can't understand it, you don't remember the thread, or it is too emotional for you to deal with, whatever it is, it is a bad look for you.
I vaguely remember you bickering over hiring a minority coach. I’m no quota guy but damnit if there’s a man who’s qualified we better give him a long look. Aranda is certainly qualified by his resume. WAY more qualified than Bo or Frost probably. Personally I will be happy if Mickey wins the job by our play over the rest of the season.

I vaguely remember you bickering over hiring a minority coach. I’m no quota guy but damnit if there’s a man who’s qualified we better give him a long look. Aranda is certainly qualified by his resume. WAY more qualified than Bo or Frost probably. Personally I will be happy if Mickey wins the job by our play over the rest of the season.
holy hell

This is the exact post that I wrote. Although it took place in the Aranda thread, there were also posts about how Meyer won't be a candidate because.. whatever, we need this guy or that guy. So I wrote the following.

The reason Nebraska will continue to be a middle of the pack team, at best, is simply because of the lack of aggressiveness and creativity in finding a head football coach. You all want the 55 year old white guy, that runs a clean program, that runs the ball 60% of the time, and probably has some sort of tie to Nebraska or at worst a bordering state, Oh and does it the Nebraska Way. That dude's ceiling tops out at 9 games.

My point is and was that Nebraska is always looking for the safe and conservative hire, who runs a clean program and does things the Nebraska way and will keep the fans happy. The most talked about candidates are all mid 50 guys that are from the midwest, who run mostly conservative offenses and stop the run. Guys that will recruit the local players first and most and not worry about getting the best athletes.

My opinion is that conservative approach will get a coach whose ceiling is 9 wins and a loss in the conference title game against the more athletic teams from the east. The fact is, outside of Aranda, and the interim head coach, who we all know doesn't stand a chance of getting the job on a full time basis, all of the other guys discussed are conservative coaching white guys. There is nothing racist in stating a fact. No one is called racist if they say all of the CBs in the NFL are black, or that all of the white basketball players in the NBA are "heady or deceptive".

None of those guys mentioned place an emphasis on recruiting, whether it be at Kansas, Wake Forest, Kansas St, North Carolina St, Wyoming, Iowa St, Penn St (under O'Brien), Washington, or TCU. In order to compete for Big Ten titles, you need to have a guy that can recruit, that will bend the rules, and play in the gray and can get coaches to join the staff that can identify, recruit and develop then necessary players.

There is simply no sense in hiring a guy that is going to get us where Pelini got us. We need to find the guy that is going to get us, first to where Pelini got us, then beyond.

This is the exact post that I wrote. Although it took place in the Aranda thread, there were also posts about how Meyer won't be a candidate because.. whatever, we need this guy or that guy. So I wrote the following.

The reason Nebraska will continue to be a middle of the pack team, at best, is simply because of the lack of aggressiveness and creativity in finding a head football coach. You all want the 55 year old white guy, that runs a clean program, that runs the ball 60% of the time, and probably has some sort of tie to Nebraska or at worst a bordering state, Oh and does it the Nebraska Way. That dude's ceiling tops out at 9 games.

My point is and was that Nebraska is always looking for the safe and conservative hire, who runs a clean program and does things the Nebraska way and will keep the fans happy. The most talked about candidates are all mid 50 guys that are from the midwest, who run mostly conservative offenses and stop the run. Guys that will recruit the local players first and most and not worry about getting the best athletes.

My opinion is that conservative approach will get a coach whose ceiling is 9 wins and a loss in the conference title game against the more athletic teams from the east. The fact is, outside of Aranda, and the interim head coach, who we all know doesn't stand a chance of getting the job on a full time basis, all of the other guys discussed are conservative coaching white guys. There is nothing racist in stating a fact. No one is called racist if they say all of the CBs in the NFL are black, or that all of the white basketball players in the NBA are "heady or deceptive".

None of those guys mentioned place an emphasis on recruiting, whether it be at Kansas, Wake Forest, Kansas St, North Carolina St, Wyoming, Iowa St, Penn St (under O'Brien), Washington, or TCU. In order to compete for Big Ten titles, you need to have a guy that can recruit, that will bend the rules, and play in the gray and can get coaches to join the staff that can identify, recruit and develop then necessary players.

There is simply no sense in hiring a guy that is going to get us where Pelini got us. We need to find the guy that is going to get us, first to where Pelini got us, then beyond.
Give us a list of two or three names you think could do the job. Proven commodity, not middle-aged, not Midwestern, lives to recruit and not a white devil.

Reactions: Lincoln100

I think you can hire the “safe” HC and have the sleazy recruiters under him.

No one knows for sure what the new coach will do, hopefully it will be good. Track record should be considered, but there are also a lot of guys that just won’t take the Nebraska job because of the location and pressure cooker.
If I made my own personal list in order of want, excluding Saban, Dabo, Riley, Bob Stoops, Smart:

1) Urban
2) Whittingham
3) Mark Stoops
4) Dan Mullen
5) Brian Kelly
6) Lane Kiffen
7) Dan Doeren
8) Kalen DeBoer
Leipold/Klieman

I know it will be a long 8 weeks, that’s for sure
Mullen reportedly doesn’t like recruiting. That is one of the reasons he got axed in Gainesville because he was supposedly being out worked on the recruiting trail. I think in Lincoln you need the exact opposite a 24/7 grinder.

Give us a list of two or three names you think could do the job. Proven commodity, not middle-aged, not Midwestern, lives to recruit and not a white devil.
Kiffin, Aranda and Herman. All in their 40's, Kiffin lived all over the place, Aranda is from California, Herman raised in California. Of course Meyer is the guy I make say no.

To quote that famous line from The Fugitive,” I DON’T CARE!”

ADVERTISEMENT