ADVERTISEMENT

Two plays Saturday sum up the season

TruHusker

Head Coach
Sep 21, 2001
Two plays Saturday, unfortunately were indicative of our season overall.

OL - Hixson getting run over by the Dlineman with a straight shot to the QB
DL - Stille was engaged by the M O lineman and he never lost contact with Stille on a zone stretch play, pushing him out of the play to the ground as the RB runs right by him

Our OL doesn't seem to be able to sustain initial contact and drive block (when necessary) and our DL can't get off blocks to make plays too often. Starts up front with some technique

Am I wrong?

DL - Stille was engaged by the M O lineman and he never lost contact with Stille on a zone stretch play, pushing him out of the play to the ground as the RB runs right by him

Our OL doesn't seem to be able to sustain initial contact and drive block (when necessary) and our DL can't get off blocks to make plays too often. Starts up front with some technique

Am I wrong?
Pretty accurate.

Reactions: Baxter48

Am I wrong?
That’s was is the most perplexing especially on the O-line, it appears to me on run plays they don’t move forward just like stand in place and pass blocking it seems that they wait for the dline to engage to me you’ve lost all leverage. Getting off blocks for the defense, it tougher today when the blocking rules are basically you can hold your opponent, I will say all it takes is one holding call by the officials and things change in the game. Now by no means am I blaming the officials. We still need to come up with techniques to get off blocks

Reactions: cubsker

Am I wrong?
Totally agree with Hixon. My question about Stille is does that happen with regularity on our defense? I don’t pay attention away from the ball. If it is happening with regularity then no, you’re not wrong.

Totally agree with Hixon. My question about Stille is does that happen with regularity on our defense? I don’t pay attention away from the ball. If it is happening with regularity then no, you’re not wrong.

I hate to call out players but I used these as examples. Their O line fired out, engaged our D line and moved them back or sideways creating a running lane. You saw it over and over. People think you run to a hole, you run to an area and look for the hole and they created some big lanes to run through. Obviously LB's are involved as well but my goodness, where see the lanes for our backs compared to Mommy's? Kind of obvious to the most casual observer. :)

To stop the run in this defense, you need 2nd and 3rd level players filling areas in the run gaps. Did you see those players doing that on Saturday? For the most part, I think the line played better than the linebackers or DBs in the run defense.
Agree 100%

Reactions: pahusker139

Am I wrong?
we are 4-3

I hate to call out players but I used these as examples. Their O line fired out, engaged our D line and moved them back or sideways creating a running lane. You saw it over and over. People think you run to a hole, you run to an area and look for the hole and they created some big lanes to run through. Obviously LB's are involved as well but my goodness, where see the lanes for our backs compared to Mommy's? Kind of obvious to the most casual observer. :)
It sounds like I clearly would’ve seen it had I watched the game… I was at a wedding and by the time I got home, the score was 34 to nothing. I had no desire to turn it on at that point…

And their linemen were getting upfield and blocking FOR the running back not just jogging following the play

Go back and watch the Ohio State and Minnesota games. Tru is right on the o line. Both Minnesota and Ohio State olines were making holes between the Los and 3 yards. Our backs would be lucky to look for a hole at the Los. More than not they're looking for a hole as soon as they're getting the handoff at -3 yards

Reactions: bshirt73
Go back and watch the Ohio State and Minnesota games. Tru is right on the o line. Both Minnesota and Ohio State olines were making holes between the Los and 3 yards. Our backs would be lucky to look for a hole at the Los. More than not they're looking for a hole as soon as they're getting the handoff at -3 yards
I’d rather not... I’ll just take your and Tru’s word for it. :)

mans I totally believe it about our OLine. The OLine ply has been terrible this year much of the time. Was surprised about our Dline though.

I think on defense it would be plays like an OLB not squeezing and taking away a cutback or an ILB overrunning his gap. Minnesota killed us with outside zone and it had very little to do with the play of our DL. Bad news is we are going to see a lot more of this the rest of the season. Our LB's need to improve, fast.

On offense, I totally agree with the OP.

Am I wrong?

Oline can’t do much of anything. Can’t even cut without getting a high low call

Reactions: SC_'sker
It's happened to other defensive linemen at times, but it happens to Stille all the time.

I’d rather not... I’ll just take your and Tru’s word for it. :)

mans I totally believe it about our OLine. The OLine ply has been terrible this year much of the time. Was surprised about our Dline though.
What's so surprising about the Dline? They sucked last year and all of a sudden they're going to be good with the same players?

I think on defense it would be plays like an OLB not squeezing and taking away a cutback or an ILB overrunning his gap. Minnesota killed us with outside zone and it had very little to do with the play of our DL. Bad news is we are going to see a lot more of this the rest of the season. Our LB's need to improve, fast.

DL needs to get a lot better too. It's not just about getting pushed back, though there was plenty of that. They make bad reads all the time and have bad play recognition. I've hardly ever seen one of our Dline control what the opposing player wants to do and their movements. However that same thing happens to our Dline all the time where their movements are completely controlled by the offensive lineman.

Holy Moly.....just bloody great. Our OLine can't block anybody, our qb is injured, our best rbs are injured, our lbs are at best marginal, our kicking/punting game is a disaster.....oh boy, I bet HCSF is hitting the Jim Beam pretty hard.

I agree that Stille was noticeable in how many times he got manhandled. There was a play near the goal line where the MN back was tripped up and went down around the 5, and here comes Stille sliding in feet first like he was going into home plate. It was odd, was he hoping the back would trip over his body?

What's so surprising about the Dline? They sucked last year and all of a sudden they're going to be good with the same players?
Surprising because, to my untrained eye, it’s better this year overall. Our defense has been a strength more than the offense and apart from possibly the best team in CFB in 2019, our defense has been reasonably good, sacks, pressures etc.

That’s what was surprising to me.

To stop the run in this defense, you need 2nd and 3rd level players filling areas in the run gaps. Did you see those players doing that on Saturday? For the most part, I think the line played better than the linebackers or DBs in the run defense.

And that...19 games in...is coaching. I bet the first moment you f*ck up with a gap assignment in a Wisconsin practice, you are immediately corrected, and will rarely, if at all, make the same mistake again. At least it appears that way.

I have never seen defensive personnel take SOOOOO long to assimilate a scheme as what I've seen with our defense. We're more than a season and a half in (that's 2 spring camps, 2 fall camps, and 1 1/2+ seasons), and the players still aren't aware of gap responsibilities. How does that happen?!! They repeatedly make mistakes. Coaching, coaching, coaching.

BTW, Bryson Williams, a 5.5 3-star from Lincoln, NE whose best offers were from us, Wisconsin, Iowa, and K-State, starts at NT for Wisconsin as a true sophomore at 295 lbs. Their DEs are 296 and 279 lbs respectively. One is a 5.7 3-star, best offers Wisconsin, Oregon, Okie State, and Missouri. The other was a 5.8 4-star, with his best offers being from Wisky, us, and Washington. :(

Chinander, for the love of God, please sit down with as much Wisconsin video as you can find, and start earning your salary.

And that...19 games in...is coaching. I bet the first moment you f*ck up with a gap assignment in a Wisconsin practice, you are immediately corrected, and will rarely, if at all, make the same mistake again. At least it appears that way.

I have never seen defensive personnel take SOOOOO long to assimilate a scheme as what I've seen with our defense. We're more than a season and a half in (that's 2 spring camps, 2 fall camps, and 1 1/2+ seasons), and the players still aren't aware of gap responsibilities. How does that happen?!! They repeatedly make mistakes. Coaching, coaching, coaching.

BTW, Bryson Williams, a 5.5 3-star from Lincoln, NE whose best offers were from us, Wisconsin, Iowa, and K-State, starts at NT for Wisconsin as a true sophomore at 295 lbs. Their DEs are 296 and 279 lbs respectively. One is a 5.7 3-star, best offers Wisconsin, Oregon, Okie State, and Missouri. The other was a 5.8 4-star, with his best offers being from Wisky, us, and Washington. :(

Chinander, for the love of God, please sit down with as much Wisconsin video as you can find, and start earning your salary.

Bryson Williams doing any damage to us will be a sad thing.

Reactions: Hoosker Du

Am I wrong?

There’s probably too many to mention, but one other play that really stood out to me as signaling the bigger problem was Senior Mike Williams (previously called out by coaches for not blocking) didn’t even make an attempt to block his guy on a swing pass to Wandale, resulting in a tackle for loss. He just stood there and watched.

OL has been taking so much blame, rightfully so, but WR’s also gotta be physical on the edge.

Reactions: Hoosker Du
We are using the same sissy zone blocking as Riley used. Only our lineman look like dancing bears from AFV. For all the talk Frost does about visioning us with power and speed you would think our run schemes would be more physical

Surprising because, to my untrained eye, it’s better this year overall. Our defense has been a strength more than the offense and apart from possibly the best team in CFB in 2019, our defense has been reasonably good, sacks, pressures etc.

That’s what was surprising to me.
I don't know that it is better. Our defensive line got a decent pass rush at the beginning of last season but I haven't seen it at all this year. So far this season our defensive line has been manhandled by Ohio State and Minnesota and didn't play well in a couple other games. We haven't even played Wisconsin or Iowa yet. I think Maryland is going to try to do the same thing Minnesota did to us, so I could see us struggling against them as well. There's nothing to me that indicates our defensive line is any better than last year.

ADVERTISEMENT