ADVERTISEMENT

Tweet about Gebbia and POB

I looked at the hudl film for all the quarterbacks SF offered, and I didn't have an instant warm and fuzzy feeling, like I did when I did the same for the RB prospects. After going through them again, it dawned on me, what I think he is looking for is more about intangibles.

For example, take a look at Garrett Shrader's film. His passing fundamentals made me queasy to say the least, but watch how he makes plays regardless.

Then take a look at John Plumtree, a guy I really like. Says he is 6' 0" But watching him sure reminds me a bit of Crouch. The kid just makes plays.

So in my opinion, for SF, the QB position is more about being a playmaker than anything else. This is why I also believe Gebbia has the best shot at winning the job.

To me, it seems it has little to do with how well you pass, or even how well you run. It's about being a playmaker, a baller, whatever you want to call it.
I looked at the hudl film for all the quarterbacks SF offered, and I didn't have an instant warm and fuzzy feeling, like I did when I did the same for the RB prospects. After going through them again, it dawned on me, what I think he is looking for is more about intangibles.

For example, take a look at Garrett Shrader's film. His passing fundamentals made me queasy to say the least, but watch how he makes plays regardless.

Then take a look at John Plumtree, a guy I really like. Says he is 6' 0" But watching him sure reminds me a bit of Crouch. The kid just makes plays.

So in my opinion, for SF, the QB position is more about being a playmaker than anything else. This is why I also believe Gebbia has the best shot at winning the job.

To me, it seems it has little to do with how well you pass, or even how well you run. It's about being a playmaker, a baller, whatever you want to call it.
Astute observation. Guys like Tmart and TA could make something out of nothing, but also made a lot of boneheaded plays. A guy with their athleticism but with more natural QB skills would thrive in Frosts offense.

Astute observation. Guys like Tmart and TA could make something out of nothing, but also made a lot of boneheaded plays. A guy with their athleticism but with more natural QB skills would thrive in Frosts offense.

With Tmart, he was essentially a one-man team. His defense was truly pathetic but of course most fans here blame that on Tmart somehow (par for the course).

He was injured and almost didn't play his senior year but here's his 2012 losses.....

UCLA 36 - NU 30
Ohio State 63 - NU 38
Wisconsin 70 - NU 31
Georgia 45 - NU 31

I'd bet the ranch NU with Tmart would have been unstoppable with Frazier's, Crouch's or Tagge's blackshirts.

Gebbia was not allowed by his coach to run. POB actually ran for 655 yards his senior year. Guess that kind of blows your theory out of the water for the reasoning they were called pro style QB's!
The thing with POB running in high school is you put on his film and he looks like a big, 6'4 kid with little high school kids trying to tackle him. He just runs through people, he's not what you'd call "fluid in the open field." I wouldn't bet on him being so effective with his feet against D1 defenses.

But make no mistake, the QB job will be won between the ears, not below the waist. It's all about making the correct reads.

Reactions: kakdawg and timnsun
And UCLA was so awesome when he was there....ummm... Never mind.

$100 neither of these dudes start for Nebraska for any meaningful amount of time.

Why? Frost has never had anything other than a dual threat QB. I don't think he will bet his career on a pro style QB. You can say that POB and Gebbia can run.... The reality is that neither ran so we'll they were classified as a dual threat QB out of high school.

Here is what I would bet on: Two years of Joe Burrow followed by Adrian Martinez.

Loser of POB/Gebbia transfer after spring semester. Joe Burrow graduate transfer in May. Winner of POB/Gebbia transfers at some point in August when it becomes apparent that Burrow is going to win the job.

In the off chance Burrow wins the Ohio State job (hardly anyone thinks this is going to happen) and stays, then my money is on the true freshman. He fits what Frost had done in the past more than POB or Gebbia.

Welp, I guess you have it all figured out well before they step on the field. Must be really neat-o to know everything before it happens.

The thing with POB running in high school is you put on his film and he looks like a big, 6'4 kid with little high school kids trying to tackle him. He just runs through people, he's not what you'd call "fluid in the open field." I wouldn't bet on him being so effective with his feet against D1 defenses.

But make no mistake, the QB job will be won between the ears, not below the waist. It's all about making the correct reads.
There is a high level of QB coaching at NU. Frost and Verdu who knows what Frost wants. The guy who gets the job will be put in the best decision to be successful.

Exactly what Coach Mario V. Said.

Interesting that someone would name Burrow his favorite if here to start at Qb when he has hardly played and nobody could have seen what he can do as a starter either. Amazing how someone can decide things like this and not even realize what they are doing!

With Tmart, he was essentially a one-man team. His defense was truly pathetic but of course most fans here blame that on Tmart somehow (par for the course).

He was injured and almost didn't play his senior year but here's his 2012 losses.....

UCLA 36 - NU 30
Ohio State 63 - NU 38
Wisconsin 70 - NU 31
Georgia 45 - NU 31

I'd bet the ranch NU with Tmart would have been unstoppable with Frazier's, Crouch's or Tagge's blackshirts.
No.

Interesting that someone would name Burrow his favorite if here to start at Qb when he has hardly played and nobody could have seen what he can do as a starter either. Amazing how someone can decide things like this and not even realize what they are doing!

It's not hard. If anyone can be the backup QB for Urban Meyer at Ohio State, then he can start for 95% of FBS schools around the country. This statement is true literally every year.

Welp, I guess you have it all figured out well before they step on the field. Must be really neat-o to know everything before it happens.

Again, another douchebag comment.

There are plenty of folks on here that are just assuming that Gebbia is going to start. They don't just "know everything before it happens"? This is a place to converse about football. Unlike most people, I generally present some facts and basis for my belief before I just throw it out there.

People like you make this place shittier.

Frost's offenses run the ball.

Out of about 130 teams:

2017: UCF passed 32.8 times / game. 61st most in FCS.
2016: UCF passed 34.3 times / game. 43rd most in FCS.

2017: UCF ran 38.7 times / game 54th most in FCS.
2016: UCF ran 39.3 times / game. 65th most in FCS.

I'd classify that offense as balanced AF.

At Oregon:

2015: Oregon passed 29.2 times / game for 95th most in FCS
2014: Oregon passed 31.1 times / game for 78th most in FCS

2015: Oregon ran 46.8 times / game for 14th in FCS
2014: Oregon ran 44.1 times / game for 24th in FCS

While ratio matters, timing matters more when talking about system identity and focus. Frost passes out of a shotgun on 3rd and 2 even more often than Riley.

It's a pass first system, and when they do run it's most often without a lead blocker, relying on a back using speed/agility to beat the first contact 1 on 1. So not only is it pass first, it's way more geared to finese over power running as well.

Last year Gebbia was 6’2” and some change so they rounded up to 6’3” and he was between 180/185lbs.
This year he is 6’3” and some change and 195lbs. He will have 4mo after spring ball to continue to put on weight. Under Duval’s program I expect him to be closer to 200/205 when the season starts.

Also take into account Duval was able to take a 4.6 40 guy at 185lbs in Griffin and put 40lbs on him and make him a 4.38 40 guy. This I expect Tristan to be able to gain speed with his leg muscle gains as he continues in the program. He runs a high 4.6 40 now. With lower body strength gains he could be in the low 4.6 by season start. We know he is fast enough to get to the edge, we saw that in the spring game last year on the run right for a TD.

Last year Gebbia was 6’2” and some change so they rounded up to 6’3” and he was between 180/185lbs.
This year he is 6’3” and some change and 195lbs. He will have 4mo after spring ball to continue to put on weight. Under Duval’s program I expect him to be closer to 200/205 when the season starts.

Also take into account Duval was able to take a 4.6 40 guy at 185lbs in Griffin and put 40lbs on him and make him a 4.38 40 guy. This I expect Tristan to be able to gain speed with his leg muscle gains as he continues in the program. He runs a high 4.6 40 now. With lower body strength gains he could be in the low 4.6 by season start. We know he is fast enough to get to the edge, we saw that in the spring game last year on the run right for a TD.
How have spring games QB fared during the rest of their careers? In the minds of spring game attendees, they not only won the Heisman but the NC!

How have spring games QB fared during the rest of their careers? In the minds of spring game attendees, they not only won the Heisman but the NC!
Well, Frazier and Frost played in spring games and won NCs... and Crouch played in spring games and won the Heisman, so you are giving me hope about Gebbia!

Thanks for being positive!

While ratio matters, timing matters more when talking about system identity and focus. Frost passes out of a shotgun on 3rd and 2 even more often than Riley.

It's a pass first system, and when they do run it's most often without a lead blocker, relying on a back using speed/agility to beat the first contact 1 on 1. So not only is it pass first, it's way more geared to finese over power running as well.

I'm not sure I'd call counters, the "buck sweep" or pulling the hell out of linemen to be finesse ball by any means.

Hopefully the smartest and most effective playmaker goes in as QB, I don't care about the arrangement or what letters are on the back of his jersey are going to be.

Good luck and good health to all our boys!

GO BIG RED!!!

Hopefully the smartest and most effective playmaker goes in as QB, I don't care about the arrangement or what letters are on the back of his jersey are going to be.

Good luck and good health to all our boys!

GO BIG RED!!!

Thats about it for me..

I dont want the best runner and I dont want the best passer.. I want the best player taking snaps..

Reactions: Sinomatic

There are plenty of folks on here that are just assuming that Gebbia is going to start. They don't just "know everything before it happens"? This is a place to converse about football. Unlike most people, I generally present some facts and basis for my belief before I just throw it out there.

And...you are assuming that some guy at Ohio State is not only going to transfer, but is going to start at Nebraska. How about instead of making ridiculously premature and declarative statements like...

"$100 neither of these dudes start for Nebraska for any meaningful amount of time."
or
"Here is what I would bet on: Two years of Joe Burrow followed by Adrian Martinez."
or
"Loser of POB/Gebbia transfer after spring semester."
or
"Joe Burrow graduate transfer in May. Winner of POB/Gebbia transfers at some point in August when it becomes apparent that Burrow is going to win the job."

...here's an idea...how about you just wait and see?

Reactions: huskerfan1414

Ironic considered you're the most delusional poster in this thread. Burrow is not coming to Nebraska.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT