ADVERTISEMENT

Turnovers - Anyone know Riley's history

ExxHusker

Walk On
Nov 21, 2001
With Tommy at QB the season comes down to turnovers in my mind. How have MR's teams been taking care of the ball? Of course he hasn't had dual that QB's like TA so history may not tells us anything.

Our backs, line and receivers - deep and with DPE and Westie likely better that opponents. DL and DB's exceptional. Coaching should benefit linebacking.

If we can take care of ball we'll be very tough for anyone to beat. Maybe I'm over traumatized by recent history but I like our chances to go to CG if we are disciplined taking care of ball. If.

2014 OSU 6 fumbles, 8 ints, ranked 13; Nebraska 13 fumbles, 12 ints rank 96
2013 OSU 10/16/103; NU 16/13/112
2012 OSU 7/16/?; NU 22/13/?

Right after HCMR was hired I went back 10 years and seem to recall the turnovers lost were low- mid most years, with a couple stinkers like 2013. That was encouraging, but I looked at penalties and Riley teams get flagged - a lot. That was bothersome since it indicates lack of discipline, which is what we were replacing.

With Tommy at QB the season comes down to turnovers in my mind. How have MR's teams been taking care of the ball? Of course he hasn't had dual that QB's like TA so history may not tells us anything.

Our backs, line and receivers - deep and with DPE and Westie likely better that opponents. DL and DB's exceptional. Coaching should benefit linebacking.

If we can take care of ball we'll be very tough for anyone to beat. Maybe I'm over traumatized by recent history but I like our chances to go to CG if we are disciplined taking care of ball. If.

I disagree. Nebraska's season will come down to its ability to stop opposing running games. The spotlight upon Tommy Armstrong is over illuminated.

2014 OSU 6 fumbles, 8 ints, ranked 13; Nebraska 13 fumbles, 12 ints rank 96
2013 OSU 10/16/103; NU 16/13/112
2012 OSU 7/16/?; NU 22/13/?

Right after HCMR was hired I went back 10 years and seem to recall the turnovers lost were low- mid most years, with a couple stinkers like 2013. That was encouraging, but I looked at penalties and Riley teams get flagged - a lot. That was bothersome since it indicates lack of discipline, which is what we were replacing.

Not trying to bash OSU's talent level, but some of those penalties could be from being outmatched from a talent standpoint.

What kind of penalties did his teams get called for most often? If it is mostly false starts, that is discouraging.

To me, the problem of TA persists.. if you don't allow him to throw over the middle, it's either short passes to the edges, or the long pass.. (which we lived on those big plays last year). If you do allow him to throw over the middle, then interceptions are a very big concern. I don't really see much of that changing. Add to that, no Ameer this year. Things could get dicey. On the plus side, I think the jet sweep could be helpful in keeping defenses spread out along with all the different routes the receivers will run. Depending on the type of offense we run with TA in there, it's possible to have an increase in turnovers.

I'd agree with @Cornicator and @Suvey101885 ; If the D plays better, it will improve offensive play by default. So long as the O can be serviceable, NU will be in a better position to win games, will be on schedule with play calling and game planning, and allows NU to dictate the pace and implement what the coaches want to do on offense.

In regards to penalties. If the majority were holding or PI, yes, that could be indicative of inferior talent playing against superior talent. If it's stuff like we've seen the last few years (false starts, not knowing the snap count) then it is concerning.

People are projecting the upcoming season with Bo in the back of their heads. I honestly believe there will be little if any hangover from the players. They're young, resilient and willing to learn. They will take to Riley and the coaching like fish to water. I expect to see our execution and play calling from the coaches light years ahead of last year.

People are projecting the upcoming season with Bo in the back of their heads. I honestly believe there will be little if any hangover from the players. They're young, resilient and willing to learn. They will take to Riley and the coaching like fish to water. I expect to see our execution and play calling from the coaches light years ahead of last year.

Honestly, I keep thinking back to the change when NU transitioned from Solich to Callahan. Now, I know that transition was a drastic change in offensive styles, but I keep thinking back to the 5-6 season and I cannot help but make that association. With that said, I do not think NU will be anywhere near that record, but that transition always sticks out to me. Personally, I think NU will land on another 9 win season.

To me, the problem of TA persists.. if you don't allow him to throw over the middle, it's either short passes to the edges, or the long pass.. (which we lived on those big plays last year). If you do allow him to throw over the middle, then interceptions are a very big concern. I don't really see much of that changing. Add to that, no Ameer this year. Things could get dicey. On the plus side, I think the jet sweep could be helpful in keeping defenses spread out along with all the different routes the receivers will run. Depending on the type of offense we run with TA in there, it's possible to have an increase in turnovers.
*** If TA can't correct that with the qb coaching available; then we have to game plan around it or rotate qb's. I am not sure our young qb's are ready; the following year we will have a lot of guys ready to step up, or at least on roster with ability. Darlington had a good Spring game; and at the game you could see and hear him giving direction; even during a play - gives me hope he may see the field while playing, and if necessary during a game.
*** Thanks for a good summary in a few sentences.

I disagree. Nebraska's season will come down to its ability to stop opposing running games. The spotlight upon Tommy Armstrong is over illuminated.
BINGO - the key to winning is still outscoring them. Imo, our change in defensive scheme will improve us dramatically. I also expect we will tend towards in game adjustments; rather than a narcissistic philosophy tempered by shock at a track meet.

BINGO - the key to winning is still outscoring them. Imo, our change in defensive scheme will improve us dramatically. I also expect we will tend towards in game adjustments; rather than a narcissistic philosophy tempered by shock at a track meet.
And good offensive line play will move the chains and keep the defense fresh. THE LINE PLAY IS KEY.

Honestly, I keep thinking back to the change when NU transitioned from Solich to Callahan. Now, I know that transition was a drastic change in offensive styles, but I keep thinking back to the 5-6 season and I cannot help but make that association. With that said, I do not think NU will be anywhere near that record, but that transition always sticks out to me. Personally, I think NU will land on another 9 win season.

Bill Callahan came and tried to insert the 1994 San Francisco 49ers offense into a team with Joe Dailey, Ross Pilkington, Grant Mulkey, Cory Ross, Matt Herian, and 5 offensive linemen who had never pass blocked before in their life.

Mike Riley has

4 Star RB Adam Taylor
4 Star. RB Terrel Newby
4 Star RB Mikale Wilbon
4 Star RB Jordan Stevenson
4 Star WR Jordan Westerkamp
4 Star WR Jamal Turner
4 Star WR Alonzo Moore
All American Demornay Pierson El
4.3 forty WR Brandon Riley
4 Star WR Stanley Morgan
Future NFL Tight end Cethan Carter
Bay Areas Top TE prospect Snyder

4 Star (Scout) QB with more than 4,000 career yards and 40 TDs
4 Star backup QB and former FL 8A stateChamp QB
3 Star (ESPN) backup and former GA 8A state champ QB.

13 scholarship offensive linemen including a future NFL tackle draftee for 2016, 7 4Stars, a JUCO All American and 5 other highly recruited linemen with dozens of power 5 offers.

Riley has also been coaching in college for decades. He has seen it all. He's not going to insert something foriegn down the throats of the players here.

To suggest this transition is going to look like Bill Callahan in 2004 is almost silly. Hell, I almost feel bad for Bill Callahan. He would've killed for this type of skill talent.

Reactions: arf_man and HuskerO
Bill Callahan came and tried to insert the 1994 San Francisco 49ers offense into a team with Joe Dailey, Ross Pilkington, Grant Mulkey, Cory Ross, Matt Herian, and 5 offensive linemen who had never pass blocked before in their life.

Mike Riley has

4 Star RB Adam Taylor
4 Star. RB Terrel Newby
4 Star RB Mikale Wilbon
4 Star WR Jamal Turner
4 Star WR Alonzo Moore
4 Star WR Stanley Morgan

13 scholarship offensive linemen including a future NFL tackle draftee for 2016, 7 4Stars, a JUCO All American and 5 other highly recruited linemen with dozens of power 5 offers.

Riley has also been coaching in college for decades. He has seen it all. He's not going to insert something foriegn down the throats of the players here.

To suggest this transition is going to look like Bill Callahan in 2004 is almost silly. Hell, I almost feel bad for Bill Callahan. He would've killed for this type of skill talent.
This post makes me so happy! Thanks, made my day.

I don't expect that painful a transition. Callahan basically came in with the new offense and said we were going to run that offense whether the personnel fit it or not. Joe Dailey worked his tail off, but he simply wasn't even a very good run/pass QB and was horribly miscast in Callahan's offense. And we had nobody behind Joe. Forcing the switch to the new offense probably helped Callahan recruit the players he wanted for the future, but wow did it hurt that first year.

Riley has made it very clear he plans to adjust his playbook to the talent available. For example, some of the offensive coaches spent time studying how to run the zone read so we could include that in the playbook. Absolute zero chance that Riley calls a zone read at OSU with Sean Mannion at QB, but he recognizes that it's an effective play with Armstrong so it's in his offense now.

There will be some challenges in the transition, but the switch from Beck's offense to a modified Riley/Langsdorf scheme won't be as ugly as the change from Solich's to Callahan's.

Mike Riley has

4 Star RB Adam Taylor
4 Star. RB Terrel Newby
4 Star RB Mikale Wilbon
4 Star WR Jamal Turner
4 Star WR Alonzo Moore
4 Star WR Stanley Morgan

Whoa! I never said it was going to be like that at all. I just keep going back and thinking about that disaster of a season. I did the same thing with Bo came in after BC. That transition created an eversion in my mind that I will always refer back to.

Whoa! I never said it was going to be like that at all. I just keep going back and thinking about that disaster of a season. I did the same thing with Bo came in after BC. That transition created an eversion in my mind that I will always refer back to.
I think you're correct in seeing a pattern there. It isn't a crystal ball, but when there is a transition year, we have seen with our own eyes that things go a bit rougher than usual. It's great to see everyone excited for the new season, but I'm hoping people temper their expectations accordingly when things don't quite go as planned in year one.

I think you're correct in seeing a pattern there. It isn't a crystal ball, but when there is a transition year, we have seen with our own eyes that things go a bit rougher than usual. It's great to see everyone excited for the new season, but I'm hoping people temper their expectations accordingly when things don't quite go as planned in year one.

Agreed. I don't think can I confidently say, like others have, that NU will have an 11 win season. I just cannot see it during year 1.

FWIW, OSU under Meyer has ran the ball, on yearly average, at minimum 62 % of the time. If we are struggling in the passing game, then run the ball. "Blah, blah, blah, OSU is always ahead and has that luxury", granted they didn't hold up the average against VT, OSU only ran it 57% of the time.

RE: Linebackers
How many linebackers do we have on the roster? Does everyone think all these guys are COMPLETELY worthless? I would bet that some of them are serviceable. And if they're not...I had a dream of this new defensive package. You put in a defensive back. I'm calling it the nickel defense. It won't be as good against the run (unless the DB is better than any other LB that you could throw out there), but I could use it for rotation.

RE: Linebackers
How many linebackers do we have on the roster? Does everyone think all these guys are COMPLETELY worthless? I would bet that some of them are serviceable. And if they're not...I had a dream of this new defensive package. You put in a defensive back. I'm calling it the nickel defense. It won't be as good against the run (unless the DB is better than any other LB that you could throw out there), but I could use it for rotation.

Returning scholarship linebackers? Four. Including Luke Gifford and Marcus Newby, who have a combined 3 career tackles.

We need at least two of our freshman to show up ready (Young looks great), and a walk-on like Simpson to play well.

As for the nickel, historically Banker isn't a fan. Even against spread offenses he would often play nearly the entire game in a straight 4-3. I do hope that Banker proves a bit flexible about adjusting his defense to suit the personnel and uses some of our DB depth to fill in at LB.

If we are among the leaders in taking care of the ball (top third nationally). I have a hard time seeing us not in the CG.

However with TA at QB that is asking a lot it seems.

The positive of TA is he causes defenses stress and opens up opportunities. If we take care of the ball we will get yards.

Understand the offensive line is crucial, and penalties, and linebacker play. These areas are ripe for improvement through coaching. Last year our linebackers seemed to be coached "out" of plays. Don't see that happening this year.

I'm pessimistic about our chances of having a 10-11 win season. Regardless of how things shake out, I'm very positive about our direction and future. I feel like there's a plethora of factors that weigh against Nebraska exceeding the 9 win threshold this season, and I actually can envision 7 or 8 wins. We're changing coaching staffs, culture, schemes, and we have depth issues in several spots on our roster. I think we will be coached better, and possibly win less than the last few years. Many might think that notion is illogical, but I feel like it's a distinct likelihood. I hope I'm wrong - I'm usually very optimistic. To hazard a crystal ball guess:

BYU - Loss
S. Alabama - Win
Miami - Loss
Southern Miss - Win
Illinois - Win
Wisconsin - Loss
Minnesota - Win
Northwestern - Win
Purdue - Win
Michigan State - Loss
Rutgers - Loss
Iowa - Win

I'm thinking 7-5 in the regular season.

Reactions: NikkiSixx

Well after MR was hired I did a little research and went back until 2004 couldnt find data for OSU in 2003 so I stopped in 2004 Since Riley has been at OSU since 2003. I compared OSU and their season ending TO margin and compared it to where we were at as well as their final TO margin ranking here were the results:

OSU turnover margin under Riley (data I could find)

Year TO Margin Rank NU turnovers Rank
OSU OSU NU
2014 +.033 40th -.15 75th

2013 N/A N/A

2012 +.62 27th -.86 105th

2011 -.67 100th -.08 67th

2010 + .33 35th -.07 62nd

2009 +.38 31st +.36 33rd

2008 +.08 58th -.85 107th

2007 Even 55th -1.42 117th

2006 +.57 24th Even 58th

2005 -1.27 113th -.17 69th

2004 +.26 46th -1.09 110th

10 years Under Riley OSU averaged +.33 in Seasonal turnovers and ranked 53rd in TO margin.

NU in those same 10 years averaged: -.43 on the seasonal TO margin battle and ranked 80.3 in TO margin.

OSU in 10 years had 8 years where they were even or plus in turnovers.

NU in those 10 years only had 2 years even or plus in turnovers.

Reactions: jeans15

I agree to a point, but I think MR is smarter than BC and more willing to adapt his scheme to the abilities of the team.

I still have nightmares from the 2004 Southern Miss game. No reason Nebraska should have lost that game, but BC was hell bent on doing things his way despite the consequences. I just don't think MR will be as stuborn as BC in year 1.

Reactions: red rover 70
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT