ADVERTISEMENT

Turnover margin

DWS

Junior
Gold Member
Aug 25, 2001
A little checking shows an interesting comparison between OSU (Riley) and Neb (Bo). From 2008 through 2014, OSU was a combined plus 17 in turnover margin while Neb was a combined negative 33 in turnover margin. What exactly accounts for such a huge disparity?

Martinez had well known problems holding onto the ball but he was the full time starter for only three of those years. IN fact in 20010 and 2011 with Martinez at the helm, out turnover margin was negative 1 and negative 1 - not that bad.

Even more amazing is that Nebraska fumbled the ball away 46 times more than their opponents over the 2008-2014 time period. This stat is the greatest anomaly I've ever seen in any organized football competition.

I have a hard time identifying exactly why the huge disparity in fumbles exists. I'll take a stab at it::
1. Bo recruited some players who had trouble holding onto the ball (i.e Martinez and others)
2. Bo's extremely passive defense forced very few fumbles. Fumbles usually occur when RB's and QB's are in traffic, not when they are in space. But with Bo playing 2-deep against everyone and with little blitzing, opposing QB's/RB's were consistently carrying the ball in less traffic than Nebraska's ball carriers, hence the disparity in fumbles.

I will be very interested to see if Banker's more aggressive defensive scheme leads to more turnovers, especially fumbles. This may well be the real reason we see a much better team this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.