ADVERTISEMENT

Tuesday: Nebraska vs. Creighton (Huskers lose 5-2)

Bottom 1st

Matt Waldron on the mound for the Skers. One out 4 pitch walk for Creighton and then he steals 2nd. Groundout to 2nd, the runner stays at 2nd. RBI single for Creighton. Another sIngle up the middle (what happened to Matt Waldron this year?). Pop out to 2nd ends the threat.

Creighton is apparently 48-8 when scoring in the 1st. Sucks that it will be 48-9 after this game.

Bottom 2nd

Leadoff single for former Husker current Bluejay Bryce Only through the right side. Fly out to CF. groundout to SS gets the lead runner at 2nd, the batter is safe on a FC. Groundout to 2nd ends the inning

Top 3rd

One out infield single to 2nd for Cronenbold. Meyers flies out to LF. Altavilla groundout had out to 2nd

Bottom 3rd

Leadoff single to CF for Creighton. Next batter Ks. Single to CF puts runners on 1st and 2nd. A HBP loads the bases. An E5 on Altavilla scores a runner and keeps the bases loaded. A 4-5-2-5-3 DP ends the inning on an out at 2nd and on the pickle between 3rd and home. Creighton does score another run on the play.

Top 5th

Leadoff single to left centerfield for Mojo. Wilkening Ks. Mojo is thrown out trying to steal 2nd. Schlepp doubles to LF. Fly out to CF for Cronenbold

Bottom 5th

Nate Fisher now in to pitch. Leadoff single through the left side for Creighton. SAC but my moves the runner to 2nd. Mojo with a great snag in RF for out #2. A K ends the inning

Top 6th

Meyers with an infield single to SS. Altavilla singles to LF! Pitching change for Creighton. Miller with an RBI single to CF!!! Schreiber flies out to RF but Altavilla advances to 3rd on the pay. Alvarado with an RBI infield single to SS!!! Mojo grounds out to 1st, runners advance to 2nd and 3rd. Wilkening grounds out to 1st.

Top 8th

Leadoff single for Altavilla. Miller flies out to deep CF. pitching change for Creighton. Schreiber flies out to LF. Alvarado flies out to RF.

Bottom 8th

Leadoff single to CF for Creighton. Another single up the middle for Creighton. McSteen now in to pitch. SAC bunt fails as McSteen gets the lead runner at 3rd base. RBI single to LF and for some dumb reason the throw is cutoff at home even though he probably would have been out. Single loads the bases (at least cancels out the cutoff). RBI single to RF. The next batter Ks. A WP but the runner is thrown out trying to take home.

Top 9th

One out walk for Roskam and Johnson pinch runs. Pop up by Shlepp for out #2. Johnson steals 2nd. Cronenbold gets on with a "HBP." Meyers Grounds out to 2nd and the Huskers get a very pathetic loss

Top 9th

One out walk for Roskam and Johnson pinch runs. Pop up by Shlepp for out #2. Johnson steals 2nd. Cronenbold gets on with a "HBP." Meyers Grounds out to 2nd and the Huskers get a very pathetic loss
Can't say I'm surprised either. This weekend may tell the tale of the rest of the season. Minnesota is a team we have dominated since joining the B1G-may be the biggest thing we have going for us this weekend.

Reactions: RobsterMobster
Yawn...hopefully just means the Erstdud slump is coming early this year. It's hard to watch this offense under him.
The offense is so pathetic that I turned the game off after Creighton went up by 2 runs in the 8th. 1 run is hard enough to overcome, 2 or more is practically impossible for this offense.

Yawn...hopefully just means the Erstdud slump is coming early this year. It's hard to watch this offense under him.
What offense?
The Huskers don't hit for power, don't bunt well, and don't steal many bases. Outside of those three areas I'm sure everything is fine. Hard to get to the next level when you are playing station to station with little to no power......

What offense?
The Huskers don't hit for power, don't bunt well, and don't steal many bases. Outside of those three areas I'm sure everything is fine. Hard to get to the next level when you are playing station to station with little to no power......
I said it a month ago...worst Husker offense since the turn of the century? I'm struggling to think of a worse lineup. The development really doesn't seem to be there.

I understand that in baseball anybody can beat anybody once. But this talented Husker team is NOT being coached to be more than an average top 80 type team. Hopefully this slump gets done quickly so we can try getting some momentum going into the post season.

:oops: bats in postseason form already.
So true considering how appropriate since they won't actually make post season because of it. I want to be wrong but these extended periods of sketchy performance have been part of the programs DNA since DE took over.

I said it a month ago...worst Husker offense since the turn of the century? I'm struggling to think of a worse lineup. The development really doesn't seem to be there.
Agree development doesn't "appear" to be there but another thing to consider is maybe we just aren't recruiting talented enough players.

Agree development doesn't "appear" to be there but another thing to consider is maybe we just aren't recruiting talented enough players.
I would say the only non-pitching position we haven't recruited well lately is middle infield. Schleppenbach makes up for his average bat with an above average glove. If we can get Mike Waldron or Luke Roskam to be consistent at 3B and move Altavilla to SS, we are pretty solid top to bottom IMO, just no consistent power. Schreiber just doesn't have what he had last year before the injury.

Pitching has just been ravaged by injury, so managing the bullpen is going to be a struggle. I wonder how much that has played into Silva leaving guys in too long. Given his track record with Nebraseball, he's waited too long consistently, it's being exacerbated by the poor bullpen depth this year.

I'm probably waxing too positively on this team, but I really like its makeup.

I would say the only non-pitching position we haven't recruited well lately is middle infield. Schleppenbach makes up for his average bat with an above average glove. If we can get Mike Waldron or Luke Roskam to be consistent at 3B and move Altavilla to SS, we are pretty solid top to bottom IMO, just no consistent power. Schreiber just doesn't have what he had last year before the injury.

Pitching has just been ravaged by injury, so managing the bullpen is going to be a struggle. I wonder how much that has played into Silva leaving guys in too long. Given his track record with Nebraseball, he's waited too long consistently, it's being exacerbated by the poor bullpen depth this year.

Lots of ways to look at it.... unfortunately for me I've come to the conclusion it's just another "ifs and buts" season and the only thing that's been consistent under DE.

Reactions: saluno22

National Rankings
RPG- #191
Avg-#152
Home Runs-#274(Kansas and Boston College only power five schools below NU)
Stolen Bases-#202

If we have recruited well...it's not really showing on the field. If we have recruited well, Erstad and Kirby are doing a pretty piss poor job developing said talent. The above numbers paint most of the picture...I get that each team has a different schedule but out of 290 some baseball teams in D-1 we are not where we need to be.

The bolded has lost us at least 4-5 games this year alone. Creighton wasn't one but I'm never sure what plan they have. They seem to change it up all the time. They find a good Tuesday option in Miller and instead of stretching him out they completely abandon the plan. Maybe they want to use him on the weekend now instead? Not sure, because he wasn't used last weekend at all. It just seems Silva will hit reset at random times during a pitchers season/career (Howell and Luensmann being prime examples) but won't pull a guy until he's completely screwed up the situation (Hohensee last weekend). They seem to devise a plan based on luck at times and that will backfire more often than not.

At least the pitching is further along in the staff's careers than hitting (Team ERA is 2nd in the league). Hitting is atrocious and doesn't seem to be getting better since Bolt left. Too many times do our hitters get worse as their careers advance. We only have three players hitting over .300 and the high is Alvarado at .317. A lot of season left of course so that could change but in order for this team and they chosen style to succeed they will need much better averages going forward. A team that can't hit the deep ball, doesn't play much small ball, and is incapable of stealing bases leads to a very low recipe for success.

I still think they will hit another streak of wins because this team does have talent to do so. Heck I wouldn't be surprised if we took 2/3 from Minny this weekend. However, if we are looking at a legitimately competitive regional team that is where my worry sets in because let's be honest, that is what we want at the end of the day.

Reactions: saluno22
ADVERTISEMENT