ADVERTISEMENT

True freshman take a bow..never kicked in snow!!

HBK4life

Nebraska Legend
Jan 24, 2004
North of Lincoln South of Heaven
He was wearing a beanie and an oversized sweatshirt, thawing out next to some boosters. He looked a little lost.

Barret Pickering usually talks to media in the hallway after games. Typically he's around just a few people, and he often isn't too pleased with himself.

Saturday everyone wanted to talk to the true freshman. Frost walked over and wrapped Pickering in a hug. The kicker's rosy cheeks lit up with a smile, then he headed to the podium for the first time in his young career.

"It definitely feels a lot better than having a bad game," said Pickering, who has made 12 of 16 field goal attempts this season.

The Alabaman had never kicked in the snow before Saturday, but he nailed three fourth-quarter field goals from 36, 20 and 47 yards to give Nebraska the 9-6 win over Michigan State.

What'd he think of the snow?

"It was a little cold out there," he said with a smile.

Especially with the wind, and with the pressure. On his game winner from 47, Pickering said he aimed for the left goalpost and let the wind take it right. He knew it was good once the wind kicked in, and he was mauled by teammates after it went through the uprights.

Pickering dedicated his game to Sam Foltz and Mike Sadler, the two fallen punters who were honored before the game.
"This day was for them," Pickering said.

Love this dude. Career high with these conditions, dedicating his game to Foltz and Sadler, I'm proud to have this guy as our kicker.

He has made his last 8, but prior to that, he was very shaky. Very happy for the kid.

Plus his career high was 35 going into this game. So anything beyond the 18 yard line was “out of range” for him. But not after today. He’s becoming legit now with a 47 under his belt. Should have more confidence from now on.

The kicking game is starting to be a strength in this team. Does Armstrong have 2 years left to play I saw he’s a JR but I doubt before this year he’s played so was wondering if he could get one year back maybe? Sure be nice to have the kicking game locked down for a while

Reactions: Hoosker Du
Plus his career high was 35 going into this game. So anything beyond the 18 yard line was “out of range” for him. But not after today. He’s becoming legit now with a 47 under his belt. Should have more confidence from now on.

The kicking game is starting to be a strength in this team. Does Armstrong have 2 years left to play I saw he’s a JR but I doubt before this year he’s played so was wondering if he could get one year back maybe? Sure be nice to have the kicking game locked down for a while

Yup, this is going to be a big boost to his confidence. I didn't think he had a 47-harder in him during perfect weather, let alone in wind-driven snow.

Props to the young man, his performance under pressure was the payoff for how hard every player worked to give him those opportunities to keep them in, then eventually win the game.

What is lost in this thread is that his kickoffs were pretty darned good as well and made a huge difference in the game. Clutch performance. I was questioning having him kick the first one when we were down by 6. Doubted he could do it in with the wind and swirling snow. Great job. When he lined up for the 47 yarder I was fully prepared for it to be missed.

He was wearing a beanie and an oversized sweatshirt, thawing out next to some boosters. He looked a little lost.

Barret Pickering usually talks to media in the hallway after games. Typically he's around just a few people, and he often isn't too pleased with himself.

Saturday everyone wanted to talk to the true freshman. Frost walked over and wrapped Pickering in a hug. The kicker's rosy cheeks lit up with a smile, then he headed to the podium for the first time in his young career.

"It definitely feels a lot better than having a bad game," said Pickering, who has made 12 of 16 field goal attempts this season.

The Alabaman had never kicked in the snow before Saturday, but he nailed three fourth-quarter field goals from 36, 20 and 47 yards to give Nebraska the 9-6 win over Michigan State.

What'd he think of the snow?

"It was a little cold out there," he said with a smile.

Especially with the wind, and with the pressure. On his game winner from 47, Pickering said he aimed for the left goalpost and let the wind take it right. He knew it was good once the wind kicked in, and he was mauled by teammates after it went through the uprights.

Pickering dedicated his game to Sam Foltz and Mike Sadler, the two fallen punters who were honored before the game.
"This day was for them," Pickering said.

His last kick looked like my bowling ball. Starts out right to left then changes course left to right right on the head pin.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT