ADVERTISEMENT

Troy Walters

The hope with Callahan was the roster. He had a ton of future NFL players on that roster and he would have brought in more. The problem as Tom noted was not the offense, It was the defense and the fact that Steve Pederson hired Callahan. Callahan is a very good coach, extremely organized and was a tremendous recruiter. He didn't deal well with football alums though or some of the media.
I don't know why it would be so hard to deal with the alums and some members of media. Just feed them an earful of the b******* they want to hear and then focus on the task at hand which is coaching your team. Limit your time spent at booster functions and the media to a minimal yet acceptable level. Learn to like scotch and praise Devaney effusively. That should get you over the finish line

I don't know why it would be so hard to deal with the alums and some members of media. Just feed them an earful of the b******* they want to hear and then focus on the task at hand which is coaching your team. Limit your time spent at booster functions and the media to a minimal yet acceptable level. Learn to like scotch and praise Devaney effusively. That should get you over the finish line
Limiting time and access by boosters, fans, media and former players was part of the problem. It pissed them off. Callahan according to a family member who had a professional relationship with him, is actually a really good guy. He just wasn't mentally prepared for what awaited him at Nebraska. He walked in to a really bad situation with a good share of the alums and fanbase really pissed about Frank's firing. He's a blue collar work your ass off no nonsense guy that MOST Nebraskans would like if they ever got to know him.

Limiting time and access by boosters, fans, media and former players was part of the problem. It pissed them off. Callahan according to a family member who had a professional relationship with him, is actually a really good guy. He just wasn't mentally prepared for what awaited him at Nebraska. He walked in to a really bad situation with a good share of the alums and fanbase really pissed about Frank's firing. He's a blue collar work your ass off no nonsense guy that MOST Nebraskans would like if they ever got to know him.
Benning touched on this a bit this morning. Basically said that Callahan was like (I'm paraphrasing), "Nebraska fans have crazy high, almost unrealistic expectations in that this isn't going to be flipped any time soon".

Ironically the guy who brags about getting Gabbert to de-commit is Joe Ganz. He got in a fight with him on Gabbert's last visit.
I think that was the Josh Freeman incident with Ganz and Freeman not getting along on Freeman's official visit.. thus he ended up at K-State.

lookin back, wish we would have had Ganz for a few more years

Reactions: scarletred
Yeah, but he's pretty arrogant too. I'd take the stupid question from the junior reporter from Scottsbluff and answer it in the manner it deserved. I'd find out who my allies were quickly. Nick Saban does not suffer fools. It's just part of the job, in which case you find a way to get through it.

I think that was the Josh Freeman incident with Ganz and Freeman not getting along on Freeman's official visit.. thus he ended up at K-State.

That cinderella play from Ganz was awesome. It was like, WAIT, we had this guy on the team the whole time!?!?!? 510 yards passing in his second start! ha ha. I love it.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Callahan's last year was about the same as Riley's last year. By the end of the year, there wasn't even a glimmer of hope that things would improve. Both had to go.

Neb is on it’s 3rd straight year of what equates to Callahan‘s and Riley’s last year

The difference is Neb now has demagogue as a coach such that the fan base will ignore the obvious

Neb is on it’s 3rd straight year of what equates to Callahan‘s and Riley’s last year

The difference is Neb now has demagogue as a coach such that the fan base will ignore the obvious
you may be partially right.

The fans have to convince Scott to give up his pitiful scheme.. and likely gonna take a couple more painful years to do that.

you may be partially right.

The fans have to convince Scott to give up his pitiful scheme.. and likely gonna take a couple more painful years to do that.

he will eventually get us to mediocre and given how bad he has been his first few years the fan base will accept mediocrity as great improvement and convince themselves that no one in the whole wide world could ever do a better job of football coaching at Neb.

the emperor has no clothes

images-11.jpg

Ganz was FOS with his story on Freeman I believe. I don't think the timeline made sense.

Nope. He asked Tom if he wanted him to fire Cosgrove. Tom said that. I've heard Tom say two different versions of his answer to Callahan. One was, he simply said no. The other was "I told him I would never tell him to fire one of his assistants". IF Tom had said, "I think it's in your best interest to fire him", he would have done it 5 minutes later. Callahan knew it needed to be done at that point.
Coz was already gonna get replaced as DC by John Blake as Coz was supposed go coach with his buddy Brad Childress up at Minnesota and at the last second changed his mind and is one of the major reasons Blake left.

Yeah, but he's pretty arrogant too. I'd take the stupid question from the junior reporter from Scottsbluff and answer it in the manner it deserved. I'd find out who my allies were quickly. Nick Saban does not suffer fools. It's just part of the job, in which case you find a way to get through it.
Can you imagine what Saban would have done to the special teams coordinator after that fake punt failure. He would have been fired before he got back to the locker room at halftime or after the game. At some point Frost has to hold his assistants accountable. Likewise whoever he has upstairs on that first "fumble" should have been screaming in his headset "call timeout. That wasn't a fumble." Making the team accountable starts with holding assistants accountable.

Reactions: drubendall
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT