ADVERTISEMENT

Troy Walters gone...

Nebraska scored fewer than 30 points 6 times last year.

Nebraska allowed fewer than 30 points 5 times last year.

Similarly to if Chinader were to leave, I'm okay with the opportunity to make a change on the offensive side of the ball.

Nebraska scored fewer than 30 points 6 times last year.

Nebraska allowed fewer than 30 points 5 times last year.

Similarly to if Chinader were to leave, I'm okay with the opportunity to make a change on the offensive side of the ball.
But the defense went like 14 straight games against power 5 competition giving up 30 or more...the defense improved in every major category, and dramatically. The wrs showed zero improvement and the only decent player was coached by Held or not at all. I really liked Walters but he could have hated the weather or the travel for recruiting or maybe he realized his brand wasn't being improved at NU.

But the defense went like 14 straight games against power 5 competition giving up 30 or more...the defense improved in every major category, and dramatically. The wrs showed zero improvement and the only decent player was coached by Held or not at all. I really liked Walters but he could have hated the weather or the travel for recruiting or maybe he realized his brand wasn't being improved at NU.
That's likely the reason Chinander is still with the university and Walters isn't.

I will start this by saying I like Keith Williams and WR's obviously like him with all the work he does with them in the offseason, but doesn't it kind of say something if no other program has snatched him up in the past few years since his issues here?
His DUI background hurts his employment opportunities at the college level. It creates liability and image issues for a public institution.

Reactions: WHCSC
Well despite all the rumors, this still comes as a surprise to me. I just didn't expect Frost to give Walters his walking papers. Leads me now to conclude Jovan got the same treatment. Guess Frost is feeling the heat to win (which of course is appropriate given the poor showings). Glad to see he is willing to take action when other head coaches weren't.

Chins needs to be upgraded way more than Walters.

The news about SF was going to demote Walters and Walters was pissed about holds more weight now...
Or it could just be that Walters knows that if he's ever going to get a head coaching job he needs to at least be the play caller. I really didn't ever think Walters was going to be a long term guy at NU.

Reactions: dand84
I agree with that, TW wants to move on and up. I get it. On the other hand, the position he is in charge of has been one of our weakest points. Massive failure really given the number of highly rated players we recruited to WR.

Reactions: TheBeav815
Respect to Frost for doing what needed to be done and firing these guys who are regressing instead of progressing.

I think coach Verduzco might be next as well and/or coach Austin.

We need more coach Held "ish" type of coaches on this team. Coach Held literally can even turn his position group around in the middle of a season if need be. He doesn't just let his position group sit there and suck. Held will FIND...A...WAY!!!

These other coaches will just freaking sit back and watch their position group perform like sh*t the whole season blaming the players, making excuses, and doing whatever without trying to find a way to make it work with what they have there already. Same with coach Fisher too who needs a hefty shout out as well.

Respect to Frost for doing what needed to be done and firing these guys who are regressing instead of progressing.

I think coach Verduzco might be next as well and/or coach Austin.
Ummm. Austin just got a large pay raise and additional title. Verduzco isn't going anywhere either.

Reactions: TheBeav815
Because 4-8, 5-7 and lack of wide receiver development is not good enough.

Not knocking Walters. I’m sure he’s a good coach but sometimes change is good and I believe that it’s time for a change.

He was crucial in landing Wandale. Wish Walters all the best.
Exactly, just because he was let go doesn't necessarily mean he was a bad coach. Just means things weren't working out here and sometimes it's best to make a change. I actually believe that about a lot of the assistants on staff is although they may have been good coaches at UCF, something just isn't working out here and I think it's time to make some changes.

Did you guys see that O-line this past season? It was the most crippling part of our entire offense. Don't think "recruiting" is all it's going to take to make a position group or any team good. Look at how well Chad Morris was recruiting at Arkansas and yet his team still regressed horribly. I'm still going to question coach Austin until I see that group perform well on the GOT....D*MN...FIELD! PERIOD!!!

Did you guys see that O-line this past season? It was the most crippling part of our entire offense. Don't think "recruiting" is all it's going to take to make a position group or any team good. Look at how well Chad Morris was recruiting at Arkansas and yet his team still regressed horribly. I'm still going to question coach Austin until I see that group perform well on the GOT....D*MN...FIELD! PERIOD!!!
They started a freshman center and a walk on soph at guard. At the end of the year they were playing pretty well. They're all back next fall and we've added some depth so I expect them to be a strength of this team next year. Everybody want's coaches to develop players. It appeared to me that in fact Austin is getting that done.

Reactions: yort2000
Ummm. Austin just got a large pay raise and additional title. Verduzco isn't going anywhere either.

They started a freshman center and a walk on soph at guard. At the end of the year they were playing pretty well. They're all back next fall and we've added some depth so I expect them to be a strength of this team next year. Everybody want's coaches to develop players. It appeared to me that in fact Austin is getting that done.

We had like how many guys back from that O-line from the previous year? When you have the worst line in the Big Ten while already recruiting at the level we do, there's a problem with coaching. But what's your excuse for Verduzco staying on board? He clearly regressed his player(s) from one year to the next.

Reactions: howie 4 huskers
We had like how many guys back from that O-line from the previous year? When you have the worst line in the Big Ten while already recruiting at the level we do, there's a problem with coaching. But what's your excuse for Verduzco staying on board? He clearly regressed his player(s) from one year to the next.
Where do you get the idea that we'd been recruiting well? Was Benhart supposed to come in and start from day one? Austin had nothing to work with this year.

Where do you get the idea that we'd been recruiting well? Was Benhart supposed to come in and start from day one? Austin had nothing to work with this year.

Bruh, Iowa destroyed Ohio State not to long ago and dropped 55 on them with two freshman O-linemen and a freshman at QB. There is no excuse.

Reactions: bigredhunter

Austin has done fine with the little talent he inherited. Now if he fails to develop Benhart, Corcoran, Piper, Fritzsche, Banks etc. over the next couple years, then that's another story.

Why can't no one defend keeping Verduzco who clearly regressed his player(s) this past season?

You better look at the offensive stats before you call it the worst line in the B1G. I'm beginning to smell a troll.....

You better look at the offensive stats before you call it the worst line in the B1G. I'm beginning to smell a troll.....

I'm going to repost something else you've just seemed to have ignored earlier.

Bruh, Iowa destroyed Ohio State not to long ago and dropped 55 on them with two freshman O-linemen and a freshman at QB. There is no excuse.

Trying to make sense? It's actually not as hard as you think when you look at Martinez from his first season to this past season.
I'm sure you'll reel some in, but this is 4/10 trolling at best. Like I said, it's cute.

ADVERTISEMENT