ADVERTISEMENT

Triple Option Pass

DannyLangsdork

Walk On
Nov 5, 2017
It’s time to bring this back out of the I, ace, wishbone or whatever formation like we used to do back in the day. I’m talking about the play when the quarterback would run right or left for a second or two and then step back and pass to a wide open receiver instead handing it off, pitching it or keeping it. Mills would be a great option at fullback for this play and we could even do it out of the shotgun (though probably less effective) if we want. I will cancel you if you say our lineman are too fat/slow, it takes too much preparation to install or none of our quarterbacks can handle this. Thoughts?

giphy.gif

It’s time to bring this back out of the I, ace, wishbone or whatever formation like we used to do back in the day. I’m talking about the play when the quarterback would run right or left for a second or two and then step back and pass to a wide open receiver instead handing it off, pitching it or keeping it. Mills would be a great option at fullback for this play and we could even do it out of the shotgun (though probably less effective) if we want. I will cancel you if you say our lineman are too fat/slow, it takes too much preparation to install or none of our quarterbacks can handle this. Thoughts?
It did work incredibly well during the Osborne days. Our Oline has been so bad in recent years that I don't even know if we'd have time to run it.

Reactions: bshirt73
Frazier and Frost were the only qbs we ever had that actually ran this play, and technically it was a quadruple option (dive, pitch, keep, or throw) The rest were designed play action passes, or a single RPO where the qb could keep or toss.

I think that the Power I is not coming back. To pass succesfully on the play action pass you'd have to run it out of that formation a lot.

Frazier and Frost were the only qbs we ever had that actually ran this play, and technically it was a quadruple option (dive, pitch, keep, or throw) The rest were designed play action passes, or a single RPO where the qb could keep or toss.

All of the option passes were designed plays. There wasn't a read. And we ran it with all of our QBs.

I am all for the old school running game, but Frost gonna do Oregon uptempo thing. If he gets it going, it will be exciting.. if not, he can always pull out Toms old playbook as a last resort. That is what I actually see happening in year 5/6

Reactions: BleedRed78

I thought j lo ran it pretty good. Receivers were usually wide open.

Gdowski ran it really well...I think he had 26 Td passes and 3 interceptions in his year as a starter and most of his passes seemed to be to wide open receivers off that kind of play.

We used that play a few times in 2018 and it paid dividends for Ziggy the few times we ran it. Ziggy scord on 2 long runs out of it.

This, and we didn’t run a triple option either, the dive/trap was a called play under TO and was blocked differently.

Yes, we most certainly ran the triple option. The play action pass was a presnap read as well in many cases.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT