ADVERTISEMENT

Trey Sermon gone to NFL

Losing WRs and RBs means nothing. They’ll be easily replaced. Hell, Sermon didn’t even play against us.

The only way we’ll have any hope is if their next QB is a major bust.

Reactions: TheBeav815
He had 11 rushes for 48 yards against us.
Fair enough. Only 11 carries and I’d guess most in garbage time though.

My point was that Master Teague was their starter for most the season. Against the other elite programs someone like Sermon can make a difference. Against us it’s the difference between 63-17 and 56-17.

Reactions: TheBeav815
Fields and Sermon gone and most likely Olave as well. Huskers should have a legit shot at competing with OSU next year.
We competed in the 1st Quarter last year. Do you mean we’ll improve to being competitive in the 2nd Quarter as well?

OSU has recruited well so its next man up there. Also, their Offensive staff is light years ahead of our JV staff. I see OSU favored by 21 points right now.

• Haha
Reactions: Husker_AMG63
They lose most of their top 2 deep on their OL, Fields, Sermon, Olave their top 2 in their TE rotation and another 6 or 7 of their staters on the defensive side of the ball. Sure they have a plethora of talent but it's absolutely dilusional to think that a team that will be fielded next year is just gonna run the gambit when quite a few of their staters next year have no in game playing experience. I for one see the Blackshirts having their way with tOSUs offense next year. The only question out there still remains, what will our look like next year. If there is significant improvement on that side, I could actually see us winning that game. I see them losing 2-3 games next year.

We competed in the 1st Quarter last year. Do you mean we’ll improve to being competitive in the 2nd Quarter as well?

OSU has recruited well so its next man up there. Also, their Offensive staff is light years ahead of our JV staff. I see OSU favored by 21 points right now.

See AM's freshman year. People need to remember that the Urban effect should be tailing off significantly.

They reload and will probably upgrade from Sermon. Replacing Fields will be a tougher challenge though. They will have a highly rated guy for sure but that doesn’t always pan out at QB. Our only hope is that the new QB struggles for a while.

Reactions: Herbert Husker
They reload and will probably upgrade from Sermon. Replacing Fields will be a tougher challenge though. They will have a highly rated guy for sure but that doesn’t always pan out at QB. Our only hope is that the new QB struggles for a while.
This. You can put your money on them being better than us at maybe 18 out of the starting 22 positions.

The great equalizer is if QB isn’t one of those 18. Hard to feel good right now about our QB being significantly better than theirs though.

They lose most of their top 2 deep on their OL, Fields, Sermon, Olave their top 2 in their TE rotation and another 6 or 7 of their staters on the defensive side of the ball. Sure they have a plethora of talent but it's absolutely dilusional to think that a team that will be fielded next year is just gonna run the gambit when quite a few of their staters next year have no in game playing experience. I for one see the Blackshirts having their way with tOSUs offense next year. The only question out there still remains, what will our look like next year. If there is significant improvement on that side, I could actually see us winning that game. I see them losing 2-3 games next year.
I could easily see OSU losing 3 or 4 games next year after losing so many players. But it's laughable to think our defense will have our way with them after getting their shit kicked in by them every year.

Upgrade from Sermon, is that a joke? With how he was playing at the end of the year, I would have taken him over Harris or Etienne. Dude is an elite back and I saw that when we played OSU that Sermon was much better than the other guy.

Upgrade from Sermon, is that a joke? With how he was playing at the end of the year, I would have taken him over Harris or Etienne. Dude is an elite back and I saw that when we played OSU that Sermon was much better than the other guy.
Sermon was a step down from some of OSU’s recent backs like Elliot and Dobbins imo. They will come up with someone more explosive than Sermon.

Reactions: kakdawg
Sermon was a step down from some of OSU’s recent backs like Elliot and Dobbins imo. They will come up with someone more explosive than Sermon.

I’m sure they will have an explosive RB. Replacing Meyers and Davis will probably be a bigger issue than replacing Sermon.

Sermon was playing on Zeke’s level and was certainly better than Dobbins. If he was featured the whole season like he was in the postseason he would’ve been recognized as a Zeke type player.

That said, I’m sure they’ll be just fine at RB next year.

I think Nebraska has a legit shot.
Ron-Burgundy-Saying-I-Dont-Believe-You.gif

do you think all those defense guys would come back if they don’t believe they Have a great team?

I think they like playing here and like playing for the staff. I also think the defense will be solid. But OSU is elite and there is a huge gap between them and us.

We are BYU in 2021 with all of our middle aged men. The only difference is that the BYU middle aged men were proselytizing for two years, whereas our middle aged men were wasting time trying to develop NFL-caliber football skills from Frosty’s Flakes.

• Haha
Elliot maybe, Dobbins no. Dobbins took a long time to come around, and wasn't really dominant until his last year. Sermon is better all around I think, and he has the highest chance of success in the NFL of any RB in this draft class imo.

We have 2 running backs in the 2021 class, Evan Pryor (#2 all purpose back in the Rivals rankings) and TreVeyon Henderson (#4 running back in the Rivals ranking). Both are shifty speed backs which we did not have last year. Master Teague will be back along with Miyan Williams, a 5'8" 230 lbs bowling ball who looked good with the limited carries he had.

OL will be good. Thayer Munford, 1st team all-Big 10, surprised OSU fans by announcing he is coming back for a 5th year. Our starting RT should also be back. The key will be the 3 interior lineman. Some returning players saw starting action in 2020 due to COVID holdouts. Parris Johnson (#3 OT in the Rivals 2019 rankings) will probably move to LG. Harry Miller, who started at LG will move to center.

QB will be a battle between C J Stroud, Jack Miller, both freshmen in 2020 and 2021 recruit Kyle McCord. Stroud is probably the early favorite to start. We have recruited very well at WR in both the 2020 and 2021 classes.

The big question is the defense, especially the back 7. We lose all 4 starting linebackers. The backups have been in the system for 2 to 3 years and it is time for them to step up. Our secondary was bad last year. We have many dbs returning plus 5 coming in the 2021 class. Spring ball will be important for this group. A big key will be if both starting DTs, Tommy Toigai and Haskell Garrett, return in 2021. Neither have declared for the 2021 draft as of today. It will be interesting to see if Day makes any coaching changes on the D side.

I know all Cornhusker fans feel our pain.

• Wow
This. You can put your money on them being better than us at maybe 18 out of the starting 22 positions.

The great equalizer is if QB isn’t one of those 18. Hard to feel good right now about our QB being significantly better than theirs though.
The only QB that has been a bust is ours. OSU hasn’t had a bust at QB in years. We haven’t had a great QB since perhaps Crouch .

OSU has the #1 recruiting class in the B1G every year. They might be young if they have departures but their 3rd team guys are probably on the level of our starters

Fields and Sermon gone and most likely Olave as well. Huskers should have a legit shot at competing with OSU next year.
Well. Olave is coming back. Not sure why. Would have been round 1. Bad choice for him and our defense.

This is a pretty deep 2021 WR class with the Alabama kids Smith and Waddle, Chase (LSU), Rondale Moore, Bateman (MInn) and Pitts (TE) from Florida all probable 1st round picks. Maybe he felt another year of development would improve his draft status.

Reactions: headcard
The only area of concern for OSU next year showed up bigtime this year especially against teams like Alabama. Indiana, and a few other B1G teams - their PUTRID DBs and pass defense. If they get that figured out next year, they could be right back in the NC game. Keep in mind, Day's 1st two recruiting classes were better than any of Urban's and they'll be sophomores and freshmen next year. Pretty scary

ADVERTISEMENT