ADVERTISEMENT

Trey Palmer received zero NIL money

3fingershomer

Walk On
Feb 8, 2022
SIAP. Local WOWT-Omaha just had a story that Trey received no NIL money from this past season apparently turning down over 20 different opportunities.

Paraphrasing, his reasoning was to be in better position as he focused first on his season at Nebraska and now as he prepares to turn pro, stating the NIL offers were the ‘short money’ and he wants to be in a stronger position to provide for his family long term.
Go get it 3 !

SIAP. Local WOWT-Omaha just had a story that Trey received no NIL money from this past season apparently turning down over 20 different opportunities.

Paraphrasing, his reasoning was to be in better position as he focused first on his season at Nebraska and now as he prepares to turn pro, stating the NIL offers were the ‘short money’ and he wants to be in a stronger position to provide for his family long term.
Go get it 3 !
That’s interesting. I dig it.

Go get it 3 !
Someone should have told him he could get the NIL money AND turn pro after that.
Hope he has a good NFL career

Go get it 3 !
Sounds hard to believe. Would have to think he would take both.

Sounds like the type of guy who will play in the league for some years, buy a nice car and large, but sensible house and sock a lot of his pay into investments. Then after football getting a job broadcasting, coaching, training, motivational speaking (or whatever) and keep himself busy. We won't be hearing about him being flat broke three years after the league.

him, the rush end, and daneils should of stayed for their senor season...
I think it would have helped NU tremendously...

but I hope he makes a big splash in the nfl and gets big bucks
Palmer needed to go now. He's a hot commodity. I'm guessing his NIL deals were chump change compared to giving up a year of earnings in the NFL. Next year will probably be even rougher than this year with all kinds of uncertainty. Trey doesn't need that.

Palmer needed to go now. He's a hot commodity. I'm guessing his NIL deals were chump change compared to giving up a year of earnings in the NFL. Next year will probably be even rougher than this year with all kinds of uncertainty. Trey doesn't need that.
I disagree, I think trey is very talented and we could use him next year

Reactions: king_kong_
no wonder he's leaving early

this isn't the good news some think it is

WOWT running it is even dumber

Go get it 3 !
Trey Palmer is one of my favorite Huskers

• Angry
Reactions: Bold Words
There are teams where almost every player by virtue of just being on the team is getting NIL money with it escalating if you are on the 2 deep

Bad look for NU if a starter isn’t getting NIL money

Reactions: king_kong_
There are teams where almost every player by virtue of just being on the team is getting NIL money with it escalating if you are on the 2 deep

with this savings we can double riolas pay

He was obviously offered NIL money. If he didn't take it, it was a mindset thing. Refusing a little money to accomplish his ultimate goal of getting to the NFL. Played like a man on a mission this year.

Reactions: yort2000
He was obviously offered NIL money. If he didn't take it, it was a mindset thing. Refusing a little money to accomplish his ultimate goal of getting to the NFL. Played like a man on a mission this year.
He showed how slow our conference is compared to where he came from

Dropped a ton of passes, basically gave up during the Minn and Mich games, didn’t break many tackles, didn’t show anything in the return game

He was fun to watch, and I’m glad he was on our side, but the “man on a mission” has a ton of work to do yet

Wow. Sounds like a mature, driven kid. Exactly the kid of player we need more of.
He left after one year. One year rentals are not the type of players we need to build our program over the long term. He's also a late round draft pick at best, so it's questionable if he even made a mature or prudent decision. He'd have way more opportunity to showcase his talent as the focal point of a P5 offense rather than relegated to the practice squad of an NFL team.

• Haha
Reactions: headcard
Weird.
He's also a late round draft pick at best
I'm seeing projections of 3rd-4th rounds, and if he gets a combine invite a lot will hinge on his 40 time. He's not big, not strong, and has a rep for drops. I could definitely see him dropping to the late rounds as you say.

As for the NIL deal, I can't see any reasonable take that I buy as this being a negative for Nebraska. If the kid didn't want free money what are we supposed to do? Cram it in his pockets? Put it in an envelope and slide it under his door?

apperently a&m players have nil companies stiffing them, and the a&m players don't have lawyers or agents.
I guess some rich people stiff folks for money then battle it out in court..good life lesson..

apperently a&m players have nil companies stiffing them, and the a&m players don't have lawyers or agents.
I guess some rich people stiff folks for money then battle it out in court..good life lesson..

Not saying this isn't happening there, but I can't find a single thing to verify this online anywhere.

Reactions: baseball31ne
this is where I heard it, the guy is pretty annoying and a bama fan..
but he could be onto something
maybe discloser agreements stop it getting round...

Not sure I'm buying that....I cannot think of a better way to kill the life blood of your program. Perhaps an outlier example happened and a rival fanbase or fanboi ratchets up the nonsense.

I did read an interesting article about how some of these at A&M are structured month to month and as soon as you have a foot out the door the money stops. Perhaps a player or two went fishing and of course word travels and if he's fringe player anyway....the booster just says "see ya" ??. Guessing.

As a claim adjuster by trade and I see firsthand contracts people sign and have zero idea what they are buying. Last week I had a lady who had no idea she bought lifetime oil changes with her new Corolla, think the dealer didn't make some money on that? Two weeks ago I saw a grown smart educated man who owns his own business get talked into financing $90K for a half ton pickup he purchased, payments of $1,400 a month for 7 years, after talking to him I'm not sure he knew....and these are adults...think about how dumb we all were at the ripe old age of 18 and think about what some of these kids with little to zero parental oversight sign their names to. Guessing a lot of them don't know the details, like "You can't go shopping for a better deal on a bye week"...or whatever. The adults are going to word these very carefully, the kids won't read them with the same attention to the same detail.

Last edited:
Not sure I'm buying that....I cannot think of a better way to kill the life blood of your program. Perhaps an outlier example happened and a rival fanbase or fanboi ratchets up the nonsense.

I did read an interesting article about how some of these at A&M are structured month to month and as soon as you have a foot out the door the money stops. Perhaps a player or two went fishing and of course word travels and if he's fringe player anyway....the booster just says "see ya" ??. Guessing.

As a claim adjuster by trade and I see firsthand contracts people sign and have zero idea what they are buying. Last week I had a lady who had no idea she bought lifetime oil changes with her new Corolla, think the dealer didn't make some money on that? Two weeks ago I saw a grown smart educated man who owns his own business get talked into financing $90K for a half ton pickup he purchased, payments of $1,400 a month for 7 years, after talking to him I'm not sure he knew....and these are adults...think about how dumb we all were at the ripe old age of 18 and think about what some of these kids with little to zero parental oversight sign their names to. Guessing a lot of them don't know the details, like "You can't go shopping for a better deal on a bye week"...or whatever. The adults are going to word these very carefully, the kids won't read them with the same attention to the same detail.
all true, I think there's probably going to be agents to read the fine print.. unless the kids don't want to deal with it, and want to go the trey route at NU, that would be better.. :)

The on3 report says he make $420,000. Of course, who knows how accurate and what that report is based on.

Calling bullshit on the entire wholesome - I didn’t take any NIL money to avoid distractions narrative

I don’t know if his handlers/agent thinks this fable will endear him to NFL teams or what -regardless many of the fanbase are sure eating it up

Anyone who saw how he rolled on campus knows he was getting plenty of money

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT