ADVERTISEMENT

Trev is walking a tightrope

Sounds like Bo 2.0
Part of me says that Chryst would do much with NU resources. But that may be a bad assumption because I don’t know how Wisconsin and Nebraska’s resources compare. Gut tells me NU is better but again that is an assumption

If you don’t have a better coach ready to come in, you could give him another year or two as a trial. It also depends on how the team looks at .500. Are they improving? Competitive in all games? Etc.
This! It would save the recruiting class and we get Malachi and the team's confidence soars!

Not at all. Seriously?

Let’s say we improve a lot, but are around .500. You would say:

You haven’t previously been a head coach, so you are more of an unknown. However, you have done some impressive things, and after considering our options we want to see what you can do with more time. The players love you, and we want to see you be successful. If you continue to be successful and progress, we would be happy to extend a longer term contract.
you left out the part you said about finding someone better which is kind of key don't you think? Regardless of the record - whatever around .500 is, it all hinges on the fact you can't get anyone better. So essentially you are saying, we didn't get any of our top guys to say yes so you are our option now but not forever, you still have to prove yourself.

Either commit to the guy and his staff or not. I don't like the "purgatory" situation. If he is the guy, then tell him that. I don't telling him, well you are the 5th guy and at that point we have short time line for the #5 guy.

I see your idea but the pure function and rational of it all is kind of out there. What about recruits? What does he tell them, hey I will be here for a long time if they like me after my second trial period. With all the talk of going big or going home, hmmm.

And this has nothing to do with MJ himself. He inherited a mess.

My guess is Joseph is going to have to force Alberts hand and the only way he will do that is by winning almost every game and not being blown out. I don't consider the OU game as part of Joseph's audition because that game had way to many variables for Joseph to overcome. I expect Joseph will need to turn this team completely around and hold the sports media in awe in order to get the job permanently.

One problem for Mickey that no one is even talking about is the possibility that there may be a few on the team that haven't totally bought into Joseph as the head coach. I would imagine there may be some on the team who didn't want Frost canned and may be harboring grudges, but that's for Joseph to sniff out and remove those and move on.

As much as I would love for Mickey to do the near impossible I just don't see there is much hope he will become like a magician and pull a rabbit out of the hat. I think Alberts already has a few head coaches he would like to have for the head coaching job at Nebraska but we won't really know who they are until the completion of the 2022 football season. jmo

I don't profess to know what he is thinking, but as far as our new coach goes, if Mickey is moderately successful, it's going to be hard not to make him the coach because he has a lot of fans among his team and the general population.

If this thing stalls out, it's an easier proposition to move on.

If he's pretty much .500, what do you do? Most of the stench still belongs to man boy Scott Frost.
I'm not as overawed by someone like Lance Leipold as the rest of the fanbase is right now. The meat of Kansas' schedule is coming up and that 5-0 will likely diminish to a 8-5 by the time the season is over. Successful, yeah, but let's not go bananas over every coach that has a big year on a team that isn't supposed to be good. The level of success that weare shooting for says a lot about the coach that we pursue. Ae we just wanting to be above average or compete for NCs? We'll need an ace recruiter, program builder, etc for the latter.
It will take at least six more games to really get a good idea of how MJ would do as head coach. If we grade him on the last game and the improvements overall it is an A+. But there is a lot more to evaluate.
The only coach I would hire quickly and for top salary is the only one that has basically proven to be a sure thing: Urban Meyer. Short of Meyer, I'm willing to wait it out and see what MJ can do a bit longer and be ready to offer him the job if he has the desire and the plan to bring the program to the top.

So far I like:

1. His saying toughness is the #1 factor for someone starting for Nebraska.
2. His insisting the most physical team should win. His philosophy seemed to bear fruit by how physical the game was Saturday night, exemplified the most by Reimer rocking the receiver and stealing the ball.
3. Pulling CT after the sack on 3rd and 2 so he could "see the field". Yes, Purdy fumbled and that sucked, but Casey got the message, and so did the rest of the team.
4. MJ saying he pulled CT because he wasn't getting it done, and going on to say he will pull ANY player who isn't getting it done.
5. MJ firing Chinander, that HAD to be done and took courage.
6. Simplifying the D and playing man so we didn't get carved up as usual.
7. His demeanor at PCs.
8. His diplomacy about the F$%^ed up ejection
9. Getting in the face of players who just F%^&ed up
10. Live tackling in practice
11. Admitting mistakes like not slowing down tempo against OU and clock management in 2nd Q against IU
12. His continuing to recruit in a tough situation and has recruited well before Frost was fired
13. Other things I've forgotten.

But....the bottom line is winning. If he wins 4 more to get to a bowl (especially if one of them is MI in Ann Arbor) and is "close" in the others I'd hire him him in a heartbeat because to me, 1-13 above trump being a winning P5 HC for a few years.

I don't profess to know what he is thinking, but as far as our new coach goes, if Mickey is moderately successful, it's going to be hard not to make him the coach because he has a lot of fans among his team and the general population.

If he's pretty much .500, what do you do? Most of the stench still belongs to man boy Scott Frost.
The only tightrope Trev is walking is to hire a coach that will turn the program around and WIN. Whoever he hires will get some initial criticism but it won't matter one bit for the long haul IF the new coach turns this into a winning program. Like or hate whoever the new coach is, all criticism will be silenced by someone who wins a lot of games (including the big ones).

I don't pretend to know who that coach is that will be such a winner. That's Trev's job and why he gets paid the big bucks and I don't.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I don’t get that part either. It was surprising that he agreed to such significant coaching and buyout changes. Why not demand to be paid in full and claim your dignity on the way out?

One could claim at the time that was a sign that he was willing to do anything/everything to turn things around. But when he showed up unshaven and without an opening statement at B1G media days, it was clear that wasn’t truly the case.

So why not just give Trev the bird 11 months ago? I suspect some people went to bat for him that he didn’t want to disappoint. He didn’t have the courage to say “No, I want the money” or the fortitude to give the new plan his best shot.
Bingo - I hadn't yet figured this out, but you did.

I guess add "chicken-shit" as another to the list of his character flaws.

Trev needs to go get Urban Meyer. I know there’s no shortage of recent baggage, but Urb can flat out get it done at the college level. He’s the guy that I believe would generate the most buzz and get us back to where we rightfully belong. Urb’s ego will entice him to return to coaching. But, will Trev be bold enough to go after such a guy? Probably not, but I would love to see it.

I'm not as overawed by someone like Lance Leipold as the rest of the fanbase is right now. The meat of Kansas' schedule is coming up and that 5-0 will likely diminish to a 8-5 by the time the season is over. Successful, yeah, but let's not go bananas over every coach that has a big year on a team that isn't supposed to be good. The level of success that weare shooting for says a lot about the coach that we pursue. Ae we just wanting to be above average or compete for NCs? We'll need an ace recruiter, program builder, etc for the latter.
It will take at least six more games to really get a good idea of how MJ would do as head coach. If we grade him on the last game and the improvements overall it is an A+. But there is a lot more to evaluate.
The only coach I would hire quickly and for top salary is the only one that has basically proven to be a sure thing: Urban Meyer. Short of Meyer, I'm willing to wait it out and see what MJ can do a bit longer and be ready to offer him the job if he has the desire and the plan to bring the program to the top.
From your job description, I only know of three candidates - Urban who, by all accounts has said no, Saban who isn't leaving Bama and Smart who is not leaving Georgia. Those are the only ones that I know of that fit your requirements. Someone can chime in with others I am not thinking of? Perhaps Lincoln Riley? Others?

No he isn’t. Despite what 1 win against Indiana has somehow made people think…. Mickey is not currently a head coaching option for Nebraska. Not on the list. To think so is absolutely idiotic. If he does well enough, Mickey will get a token interview.

• Haha

If he goes 8-4, I think Mickey has got the job, unless Urban Meyer is interested. 7-6 maybe, depending on what other candidates are interested. 6 wins or less I'm guessing probably not.

Love what Mickey has done so far, and hope he wins out. Would be one of the greatest Cinderella stories of all time.

However, he’s now in control of a team that is borderline top 20 in terms of talent. Competent coaching dictates a team of that caliber should finish top 20 in results.

“trending in the right direction, just needs a little more time” is the lie we told ourselves with Frost, and Alberts cannot afford to risk that over proven results like Leipold.

I want the best person available given our resources for the job. Would love for that to be Mickey, but the bar is probably wins over Michigan, Wisconsin, and Iowa for that to be the case.

The thing about Urban Meyer that you need to keep in mind is that he's a complete degenerate.

Love what Mickey has done so far, and hope he wins out. Would be one of the greatest Cinderella stories of all time.

However, he’s now in control of a team that is borderline top 20 in terms of talent. Competent coaching dictates a team of that caliber should finish top 20 in results.

“trending in the right direction, just needs a little more time” is the lie we told ourselves with Frost, and Alberts cannot afford to risk that over proven results like Leipold.

I want the best person available given our resources for the job. Would love for that to be Mickey, but the bar is probably wins over Michigan, Wisconsin, and Iowa for that to be the case.
We don't have the horses for Michigan, but I wouldn't be surprised if we beat Iowa and Wisconsin. They are very very average, especially on offense

So far I like:

1. His saying toughness is the #1 factor for someone starting for Nebraska.
2. His insisting the most physical team should win. His philosophy seemed to bear fruit by how physical the game was Saturday night, exemplified the most by Reimer rocking the receiver and stealing the ball.
3. Pulling CT after the sack on 3rd and 2 so he could "see the field". Yes, Purdy fumbled and that sucked, but Casey got the message, and so did the rest of the team.
4. MJ saying he pulled CT because he wasn't getting it done, and going on to say he will pull ANY player who isn't getting it done.
5. MJ firing Chinander, that HAD to be done and took courage.
6. Simplifying the D and playing man so we didn't get carved up as usual.
7. His demeanor at PCs.
8. His diplomacy about the F$%^ed up ejection
9. Getting in the face of players who just F%^&ed up
10. Live tackling in practice
11. Admitting mistakes like not slowing down tempo against OU and clock management in 2nd Q against IU
12. His continuing to recruit in a tough situation and has recruited well before Frost was fired
13. Other things I've forgotten.

But....the bottom line is winning. If he wins 4 more to get to a bowl (especially if one of them is MI in Ann Arbor) and is "close" in the others I'd hire him him in a heartbeat because to me, 1-13 above trump being a winning P5 HC for a few years.
By far the best post on here in awhile. Well done.

Reactions: Husker.Wed.
Mickey has no business being considered for the position. We will no longer be a training ground for coaches! Hahaha Jesus people! I find it hilarious that people actually believe Mickey should even be considered 🤦🏼‍♂️
I find it hard to understand racism. Hate to go there but to rule him out like that, gotta question the motives

Dabo worked out well as an IHC hire with no experience for Clemson

Last edited:
Trev is going to get painted into a corner based on a few wins against some of the worst teams in all of power 5

On the plus side, Mickey has already outdone Frost on some points.

At least 0.500 winning percentage at one point.

He won a game coming off a bye week.

Won a game with all 3 phases contributing, and effective halftime adjustments.
Wow your sights are low. SMDH

Not much he can do right now. He’ll have to wait his turn in picking a coach behind Wisconsin, ASU, & Colorado. Once those jobs fill, Trev can probably get someone he might like

• Haha
Reactions: headcard and WHCSC
Nebraska is the Indiana of basketball, and will never compete for a NC again. In fact, the job is a career killer. Hugh Freeze or Tom Hermann would be a good hire for nebraska

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT