ADVERTISEMENT

Trev Alberts - contracts for dummies

Red_Symptoms

Redshirt Freshman
Oct 30, 2016
Contract comparisons.

Deion Sanders = $29.5M, Sanders will owe Colorado $15 million if he leaves after one season, $10 million after the season season, $8 million after the third season, and $5 million after either of the final two years of the deal

Luke Fickell - $57M, he has to PAY Wisconsin $8M if he leaves before 2027. If Wisconsin fires him before 2029 they only owe him $6.5M

Matt Rhule = $74M, 90% guaranteed ($66M)

We gave Matt Rhule a contract that you only give if you bring in a guy with a name like Harbaugh, Meyers or Sean Payton. This isn't about "Well it isn't your money". This is about stewardship of finances; and he overpaid a bad contract for a guy that has never beat a ranked team. Make no mistake, regardless of who's money this is we are stuck with Rhule for the next 5 years. There will not be money to afford a buyout after 3 years.

Yes, you could argue that maybe we hit the lottery of coaches and we are winning divisions in the next 2-3 years. That is a huge gamble on a guy that we don't even know if he is a consistent winner. I don't think you'd want to lock this money on a gamble, just pay the money on a proven name and if there isn't one available do what Colorado did and gamble on the field so that if it doesn't work out you can get out of it easy and see what candidates are available 2 or 3 years from now instead of 5.

TLDR - This locks us in a potentially terrible situation if Rhule doesn't work out. Fans gave Frost a lot of patience because he was a Husker but I'm suspect if we don't make a bowl game next year that sell out streak will be in danger in 2024 and the sharks will be circling with no way to get out if 2024 fails too.

So much fail in the OP.

Why do you only mention the buyout in Sanders’ and Fickell’s contracts, but not in Rhule’s? And why list the guaranteed money in Rhule’s and not in theirs? You do know all contracts contain all these features right? That Rhule does have to pay a buyout if he leaves?

Last edited:
How many times do I have to post that football contracts are meaningless to the avg fan? If we want to get rid of a coach, some rich booster will write the check, just as what happened after Georgia Southern.

Also, one of these three coaches has done it at the power 5 level, and this is the contract you have to pay if you want to get one of these guys. And you may not like it, but Rhule would have gotten this kind of contract from any other power 5 program, imho.

Contract comparisons.

Deion Sanders = $29.5M, Sanders will owe Colorado $15 million if he leaves after one season, $10 million after the season season, $8 million after the third season, and $5 million after either of the final two years of the deal

Luke Fickell - $57M, he has to PAY Wisconsin $8M if he leaves before 2027. If Wisconsin fires him before 2029 they only owe him $6.5M

We gave Matt Rhule a contract that you only give if you bring in a guy with a name like Harbaugh, Meyers or Sean Payton. This isn't about "Well it isn't your money". This is about stewardship of finances; and he overpaid a bad contract for a guy that has never beat a ranked team. Make no mistake, regardless of who's money this is we are stuck with Rhule for the next 5 years. There will not be money to afford a buyout after 3 years.

Yes, you could argue that maybe we hit the lottery of coaches and we are winning divisions in the next 2-3 years. That is a huge gamble on a guy that we don't even know if he is a consistent winner. I don't think you'd want to lock this money on a gamble, just pay the money on a proven name and if there isn't one available do what Colorado did and gamble on the field so that if it doesn't work out you can get out of it easy and see what candidates are available 2 or 3 years from now instead of 5.

TLDR - This locks us in a potentially terrible situation if Rhule doesn't work out. Fans gave Frost a lot of patience because he was a Husker but I'm suspect if we don't make a bowl game next year that sell out streak will be in danger in 2024 and the sharks will be circling with no way to get out if 2024 fails too.

You should stop buying Husker merchandise, stop going to games, quit watching on TV and listening on the radio, and stop donating your money that would really show them.

You should take some time to calm down, then fúck off. No seriously, don’t be upset, just fúck off.

Contract comparisons.

You and RedCap can head up a support group

Also, one of these three coaches has done it at the power 5 level, and this is the contract you have to pay if you want to get one of these guys. And you may not like it, but Rhule would have gotten this kind of contract from any other power 5 program, imho.
@OAHU-SKER, what would Auburn have paid for him? What about Wisconsin? Time will tell, but if he’s better than Mel Tucker, we did pretty well. And I think he’s gonna be better than Tucker.

Reactions: Winston Smith 84
You should stop buying Husker merchandise, stop going to games, quit watching on TV and listening on the radio, and stop donating your money that would really show them.

You should take some time to calm down, then fúck off. No seriously, don’t be upset, just fúck off.

And also maybe read up on how contracts work.

Contract comparisons.

JMO but you were likely going to have to pay this much to get him; he could sit on his ass for several years and collect $8-9 million/yr from Carolina. I suspect that someone else would have done it if we didn't.
That said, it does seem a bit risky to guarantee this much money; we could be 4 years in and still owe him ~$40 million. And NU will be paying him that money unless he's a rockstar and gets bought out by Penn State or wherever.
If you could get Fickell or Klieman without all the guaranteed money... but I guess that's up to the people writing the checks.

Reactions: Danimal4NU
Contract comparisons.

Sanders made 500k at JSU. Rhule was due $40M from the Panthers. It's apples and oranges guy.

Contract comparisons.

It looks a little bit like desperation on Trev's part. For all we know, nobody else was interested in the job.

Nothing anyone can do now, just have to hope for the best.
That's the same thing we said after Riley was hired and early on in Frost’s tenure. Terrible administrative decisions haven't really left, but hopefully we get lucky and Rhule ends up working out. We've boxed ourselves into a corner once again, because he's staying for 5 years minimum no matter what the results are.

If it makes anyone happy I would bet that Prime Time Sanders and Luke Fickell were on the potential HC list for the Nebraska job but it seems Matt Rhule is a better fit. If Sanders or Fickell came to Lincoln I doubt they would stay very long just like they will not stay at CU or Wisconsin.

Now Rhule is an east coast guy but I feel the only job he would leave Nebraska for would be PSU and I don't see that happening. Franklin agreed to a new 10-year contract that will guarantee him at least $75 million through 2031.

Franklin and Penn State's Board of Trustees agreed to the terms, which include a yearly base salary of $7 million, retention bonuses of $500,000 each year and a $1 million annual loan for life insurance. I don't see CU or Wisconsin being able to offer their two new head coaches any contract like this.

That's the same thing we said after Riley was hired and early on in Frost’s tenure. Terrible administrative decisions haven't really left, but hopefully we get lucky and Rhule ends up working out. We've boxed ourselves into a corner once again, because he's staying for 5 years minimum no matter what the results are.
Isn't best to keep mouth zipped, support and hope for the best!
Some N fans are nutz!

So we have a good HC who hasn't had one practice or one game and people are pissed off because they couldn't have glitzy Sanders a coach that will leave once a better opportunity arises. He will do a good job getting great players to CU but the fact is he can't have them all.

My guess is he will be at CU for 2 or 3 years tops before he get a job that pays him more and a place that he really wants to be at. Sanders is a treasure hunter and I wouldn't trust him too much if I was a player he may leave you in a lurch once he finds what he's looking for.

Quit your bitching OP, Trev ran a tight ship search until the last minute. We were all speculating, ffs we had Jeff Monken as a candidate and ended up with a top 3 available coach. Support the hire until we know it’s a bust , probably by mid year 2 we will know, or burn your husker shit and go support midland or doane. Quit worrying about who paid what.

Quit your bitching OP, Trev ran a tight ship search until the last minute. We were all speculating, ffs we had Jeff Monken as a candidate and ended up with a top 3 available coach. Support the hire until we know it’s a bust , probably by mid year 2 we will know, or burn your husker shit and go support midland or doane. Quit worrying about who paid what.
Midland would kick the shit out if Doane

How many times do I have to post that football contracts are meaningless to the avg fan? If we want to get rid of a coach, some rich booster will write the check, just as what happened after Georgia Southern.
Because it’s nice to know if the higher up admins running the ship behind this scenes are competent or not.

Trev will either be in Bryne/Devaney company with this hire or Pederson/Eichorst company.

Reactions: OAHU-SKER
@OAHU-SKER, what would Auburn have paid for him? What about Wisconsin? Time will tell, but if he’s better than Mel Tucker, we did pretty well. And I think he’s gonna be better than Tucker.
Well, let’s pretend that those other two programs actually wanted him. It’s a reasonable argument to say the coaches they hired are better hires.

I think the issue everyone has is not what we have to pay to get him to want to work again, but what is this guy actually worth?

What has he accomplished to make us assume that any other P5 program would pay him over 9mil a year?

If we’re paying him off of his accomplishments then OP is right, it’s an embarrassingly bad deal for Nebraska.

For what’s it’s worth, MSU got raked over the coals also imo. I really do hope he ends up being better than Tucker.

Its a horrible contract for a coach who has never won a conference title and literally just got fired from his last job. Thats just the simple truth. He has done absolutely nothing to warrant that contract, but that was the agreement.

It will not matter if he wins. Well, I guess it will because he will expect us to keep increasing it. But if hes getting top ten performances so be it.

Because we had better expect top ten results from a coach getting paid top ten money with top ten fan support and top ten facilities, all of which he will have.

Its a horrible contract for a coach who has never won a conference title and literally just got fired from his last job. Thats just the simple truth. He has done absolutely nothing to warrant that contract, but that was the agreement.

It will not matter if he wins. Well, I guess it will because he will expect us to keep increasing it. But if hes getting top ten performances so be it.

Because we had better expect top ten results from a coach getting paid top ten money with top ten fan support and top ten facilities, all of which he will have.
Top ten players too.

Nebraska is where coaching careers go to die right now. Unless you want to hire Craig Bohl, you have to pay a premium to land someone. If 20 million people and some beaches suddenly move to Nebraska tomorrow, that might not be true. Lincoln is easily the toughest place to recruit in the Power 5, and it isn't even close.

Nebraska is where coaching careers go to die right now. Unless you want to hire Craig Bohl, you have to pay a premium to land someone. If 20 million people and some beaches suddenly move to Nebraska tomorrow, that might not be true. Lincoln is easily the toughest place to recruit in the Power 5, and it isn't even close.
Tougher than Manhattan or Ames? On paper/Rivals, Nebraska had multiple top 20-25 classes when Frost was HC, not sure Lincoln is the toughest, #21 class in 2018, #15 in 2019, #17 in 2020, #18 in 2021. Not very tough at all in reality. Just saying.

Reactions: oldjar07
This stupid hysteria about the contract, the assistants and the student athletes is nauseating. Trev did the search the right way and got the best that was available. Urban didn't want to come here. Rhule is the program builder. That's exactly what NU needs.

Stuff like Mickey is beyond his control.

What we get to witness is an adult in charge of our program. Just give him some air and let him do his thing.

freaking-out-sheldon.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT