ADVERTISEMENT

Transition classes: 2004, 2008, 2015, 2018 (updated 12/21, 3:35pm)

Status
Not open for further replies.

coachDubs

Sophomore
Aug 15, 2016
Numbers only reflect commits from date of hire of new head coach. "Top guys" is based from their careers at NU. 2018 class will be updated after signing day Wednesday and once again after signing day in February...

2018 class (incomplete)
2 4*
7 3*
Top guys - TBD

2015 class
2 4*
7 3*
3 2*
Top guys - TBD

2008 class
1 4*
11 3*
4 2*
Top guys - Compton, Dennard, Cotton

2004 class
2 4*
5 3*
4 2*
2 0*
Top guys - B Jackson, Ganz, Murtha

**Any player(s) that decommitted and recommitted to the new staff is figured in up above. Example: Compton in 2008 class.

Last edited:
Reactions: davecisar
Numbers only reflect commits from date of hire of new head coach. "Top guys" is based from their careers at NU. 2018 class will be updated after signing day Wednesday and once again after signing day in February...

2018 class (incomplete)
2 4*
3 3*
Top guys - TBD

2015 class
2 4*
7 3*
3 2*
Top guys - TBD

2008 class
1 4*
11 3*
4 2*
Top guys - Compton, Dennard, Cotton

2004 class
2 4*
5 3*
4 2*
2 0*
Top guys - B Jackson, Ganz, Murtha, Santino Panico.

**Any player(s) that decommitted and recommitted to the new staff is figured in up above. Example: Compton in 2008 class.

So not likely to get more 4* recruits...

Come on Frost! You can do it! Break the trend!

Will be interesting to see how this class turns out..

I know time flies, Dennard's days just don't seem to be that far back..

So not likely to get more 4* recruits...

Come on Frost! You can do it! Break the trend!

Well I have a feeling that 2018's 4-star additions will be better than 2015's. Can't be worse

2015's 4-stars that signed with MR are awful. I don't even think Jordan Stevenson is playing football anymore. Could be wrong.

Reactions: Cernin
Well I have a feeling that 2018's 4-star additions will be better than 2015's. Can't be worse

2015's 4-stars that signed with MR are awful. I don't even think Jordan Stevenson is playing football anymore. Could be wrong.

Barnett doesn’t seem like he will be a contributor unless he really turns it around.

But Morgan is a stud, the Davis twin is a good player. And Lee and Anderson could still do something.

Barnett doesn’t seem like he will be a contributor unless he really turns it around.

But Morgan is a stud, the Davis twin is a good player. And Lee and Anderson could still do something.

I agree 100% with you, but the OP was about commits under the "new coaches" watch. The only 4-stars Riley landed in 2015 was Barnett & Stevenson, which both are busts.

The others you named committed under BO's watch.

It was a mystery as to how many kids would sign early. It is looking like th number is large. This obviously takes a lot of big fish out of the pond. Those that are left are going to be highly sought after. If some on here think some of these kids are "me" first thinkers, just wait now when an 4* who didn't sign is.one rh best remaining at his position. It could get brutal.

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
All numbers are up to date as of the early signing period, 12/20/2017 at 3:50pm.

Next update will happen when we get another signature or once the next crop of guyssign in February.

Last edited:
McGriff signed today, per Mitch Sherman, numbers are updated.

Next update will happen when we get another signature or once the next crop of guyssign in February.

Have ever had so many low level 3*??? We have 5 3.5*. Unreal
How many 4 and 5 and other star recruits were already committed to schools or had their options narrowed to 3-4 by the time Frost was hired at Nebraska vs. the day after signing day last season?
I will wait for your answer. I expect one from soneone who has obviously thought of everything since youre so willing to post this crap everywhere.
Answer.

You should put an asterisk next to the 2018 transition class because of the early signing period. The early signing period makes it exponentially more difficult for a coach in a transition year. The fact that Frost has 11 guys signed, 3 of which are 4 star kids, in roughly 2 weeks is pretty impressive. He already has more 4 star kids than the previous 3 transition classes, and will probably finish with more than 3. If he can bring in that kind of talent in a transition year, imagine what it’s going to look like when he has a whole recruiting cycle.

Reactions: Huskercigar
How many 4 and 5 and other star recruits were already committed to schools or had their options narrowed to 3-4 by the time Frost was hired at Nebraska vs. the day after signing day last season?
I will wait for your answer. I expect one from soneone who has obviously thought of everything since youre so willing to post this crap everywhere.
Answer.
@Footballfinatic2016

It was a mystery as to how many kids would sign early. It is looking like th number is large. This obviously takes a lot of big fish out of the pond. Those that are left are going to be highly sought after. If some on here think some of these kids are "me" first thinkers, just wait now when an 4* who didn't sign is.one rh best remaining at his position. It could get brutal.
I think in some ways, the early signing period helps us this go round. We know who's left now that we have no shot at and we can focus on remaining kids who fill needs without having to try to keep our commits from getting poached. Guys that had been stringing us along are gone so there's no more wasted time and money on those guys. It's a GREAT thing to have our QB, RB and a couple of WRs especially signed and in the fold. Now we need to get at least one OT to develop and a couple of CBs and WRs.

Reactions: nebcountry
Frost and crew up to 5 4*'s now I'm thinking? Should be interesting indeed!

I was thinking about this thread earlier today but couldn't seem to find it.

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
I think it’s safe to say this is going to be by far the best transition class.

Up to 7 4-star commits now. Plus a handful of 5.7 3-stars. Just imagine the work this staff will do on the trail with a full year to recruit. The future is bright.
Most importantly some huge needs being filled. THE QB, WRs, and DBs rolling in. Now we need at least one OT if not two. Filling needs with what appears to be quality recruits late in the cycle.

Up to 7 4-star commits now. Plus a handful of 5.7 3-stars. Just imagine the work this staff will do on the trail with a full year to recruit. The future is bright.

I was following along with the players landed from the date of hire which is 5. That gives Frost the same number of 4* recruits in his transition class as Pelini, Callahan and Riley combined had in theirs. We also got Dixon as well..

Our future could be bright..

Reactions: headcard
Most importantly some huge needs being filled. THE QB, WRs, and DBs rolling in. Now we need at least one OT if not two. Filling needs with what appears to be quality recruits late in the cycle.

I think we are in good shape with Bell, who could be a monster OT. OLB and CB are huge needs too. Landing guys like Tannor, Jean-Baptiste and Palmer would really help us fill our needs and could be the difference between a solid class and a great one.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I was thinking about this thread earlier today but couldn't seem to find it.

Me too! I didn't look for it though, but last night after the 2nd 4* of the day committed, this thread popped into my head.

Frost and company are kicking a$$ and taking names!

I was following along with the players landed from the date of hire which is 5. That gives Frost the same number of 4* recruits in his transition class as Pelini, Callahan and Riley combined had in theirs. We also got Dixon as well..

Just gotta finish filling the holes. No freshmen or RS freshman on the DB scholarship distribution chart might not impact 2018, but it certainly will eventually, especially if any injuries happen.

giphy.gif

For comparison - James Franklin's transition class at Penn State finished 24th nationally, and had 6 4-star recruits. Since then he's had 2 Top-15 classes and this year has a Top-5 class.

Right now, we have 7 4-stars and will probably add at least one more.

Regardless of the specific place finish for this class, the organization, effort and demonstrated talent for recruiting of this staff is quite impressive. This aspect of the staff is what all of us hoped we'd get, but no one was sure that was the case.
Close the class and get to work on transitioning the players to the new systems on O and D!

It has been helpful that at least this year we are successfully recruiting community colleges and getting a few key transfers. Not sure Riley was allowed to do much of this in 2015.

I’d hate to become KSU North but it makes sense to get some immediate help at the beginning of a coach’s tenure.

It has been helpful that at least this year we are successfully recruiting community colleges and getting a few key transfers. Not sure Riley was allowed to do much of this in 2015.

I’d hate to become KSU North but it makes sense to get some immediate help at the beginning of a coach’s tenure.

I don't think we'll take so many JUCOs after this year. But with all of the talent nearby at the Kansas JUCOs and IWCC, plus Coach Held's JUCO connections, we'd be foolish not to consider a handful of the top JUCO guys every year at positions of need.

I don't think we'll take so many JUCOs after this year. But with all of the talent nearby at the Kansas JUCOs and IWCC, plus Coach Held's JUCO connections, we'd be foolish not to consider a handful of the top JUCO guys every year at positions of need.
Frost is going to take JUCOs every year if he thinks they will make us better. Count on it.

For comparison - James Franklin's transition class at Penn State finished 24th nationally, and had 6 4-star recruits. Since then he's had 2 Top-15 classes and this year has a Top-5 class.

Right now, we have 7 4-stars and will probably add at least one more.

Nu will have 9 four stars on signing day
We get bell tommorrow and jones on Saturday

This is on par with what several elite programs did in year 1 and will most likely be ranked 50 percent better than the previous 3 guys in year 1

By far this will be the best rated incoming class by anyone since Osborne

And that after a 4 win year and 2 losing seasons in last 3, the edge of the abyss in Nebraska football since 1961- 57 years ago and with a guy who was only a part timer his first 3 weeks here

Last edited:
Reactions: Huskercigar
No, it won't, the 2005 class was #5 overall, the 2018 class won't come close to that.

Goodness gracious.

Callahans first class was in 2004 and ranked 27th with just 2 four star kids

2005 was callahans second class

Sorry
The facts are the facts
You can have your own opinion
Not your own facts

Last edited:
The last few years I have been so sick of pretending like Bo could find diamonds in the rough and that Riley was some really good recruiter...now it seems like we have a coach that can recruit and coach.

Callahans first class was in 2004 and ranked 27th
You didn't say first, or transitional, you said - and I quote...

Go ahead and backtrack, nebfaninwisconsin.

My goodness
Incoming/ first which is what we have always been talking about on this thread and the headline of this post

No one thinks a 20th ranked class would be the best ever

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT