ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer WR Marcus Washington

I was wondering that same thing about the safety who committed when we brought him in with the defensive tackle from Alabama. We have a lot of safeties already.
I think they're looking at the WR and Safety from Alabama a little differently. The WR would be a one-year back up who Thompson is already comfortable and familiar with. The Safety is likely viewed just like a 2023 freshman recruit who could have a long career with years of eligibility and eventually could see a starting role. Fisher likes his talent I would think for the longer haul.

We currently have zero safeties who have done much of anything in FBS.
Farmer has the most experience and a few INTs, but still not a long proven track record overall.
Adding talent is not a bad idea back there, unless it completely derails the chances to make moves in other areas of need.

Would be a good replacement for Betts. Not quite the athlete imo but still good enough. 6'2 and has experience with CT

I think from a numbers perspective you can say that. I agree with your talent perspective.

I think he would be used differently than Betts though. Betts was an X type wr while Washington is a slot or z type wr. I think they moved Manning out to X to replace the loss of Betts plus it gets Manning and Palmer out there at the same time. I think if Washington signs he will be somewhere in the rotation and the top 7 players but is more of an inside receiver. Could also be used as a z guy that motions back to the formation for blocking, inside routes and combination routes.

Last edited:
Reactions: BleedRed78
I think from a numbers perspective you can say that. I agree with your talent perspective.

I think he would be used differently than Betts though. Betts was an X type wr while Washington is a slot or z type wr. I think they moved Manning out to X to replace the loss of Betts plus it gets Manning and Palmer out there at the same time. I think if Washington signs he will be somewhere in the rotation and the top 7 players but is more of an inside receiver. Could also be used as a z guy that motions back to the formation for blocking, inside routes and combination routes.

I thought Palmer was more of an inside guy and Washington would compete with Brown at the Z spot.

I thought Palmer was more of an inside guy and Washington would compete with Brown at the Z spot.
Palmer is playing the slot and I agree Washington could could compete at the Z and would be effective motioning back to the formation for blocking, inside routes and combination routes. I think he could play slot or Z. Some of this may depend where Castaneda and I wonder if they play 4 WR at times? Also, in watching Washington highlights at Texas he was playing slot a lot and motioning hence my statement.

not doubting the kid but like it or not Garica- castenda yards were at a different level of play..

Still believe in Palmer but he was a top tier 5 star that’s careers been really a bit of a disappointment thus far.

And don’t mean to hate on Martin but he probably caused two of our losses last year. He’s got a lot yet to prove in an actual game. I believe he proves it in practice but he needs to do it in games.

I don’t know that we have a #1. ultimately if Mickey thinks he needs someone else, then by all means…
Coming in hot. I like it.

Here are Washington/Thompson highlights I was talking about.

After viewing a 2nd time, I see Washington actually played all 3 spots with the majority at z and a healthy amount at slot. Only a few x.

I think your right he will probably end up at z.

I think they're looking at the WR and Safety from Alabama a little differently. The WR would be a one-year back up who Thompson is already comfortable and familiar with. The Safety is likely viewed just like a 2023 freshman recruit who could have a long career with years of eligibility and eventually could see a starting role. Fisher likes his talent I would think for the longer haul.
Good post. Makes sense to me. I just think transfers expect to play right away, especially a kid coming from Alabama to a school that hasn't had a winning season since Obama was president.

Here are Washington/Thompson highlights I was talking about.

After viewing a 2nd time, I see Washington actually played all 3 spots with the majority at z and a healthy amount at slot. Only a few x.

I think your right he will probably end up at z.

Not often you get to scout the new WR at the same time as the new QB.

1. Washington adjusts well to the ball. A few plays in he had a pretty back shoulder spinning catch, but foot landed out.
2. Casey is familiar with being under pressure, he was under duress a lot. That experience will serve him well here.
3. Casey had plenty of bad throws, but some of this seems related to hand injury. I feel good about him in general, and he’ll have more experience going into this fall with regards to decision making a general maturity in the position.

lit_brown.0.gif

Palmer and Washington should be lethal on the field together..
The thing that jumps out at me is that Thompson doesn't hesitate to throw the ball. After the steady diet of AM being afraid to throw into a tight window and just pull it down and run, it looks like Thompson is just gonna let it fly.

If Whipple and Mickey can get our receivers to run those really tight routes with proper depths, NU could develop a nice passing attack assuming the OL can give Thompson some time.

I really hope NU is able to sign another OL or two, especially the OT variety. Make that a legitimate OT that has decent feet.

The thing that jumps out at me is that Thompson doesn't hesitate to throw the ball. After the steady diet of AM being afraid to throw into a tight window and just pull it down and run, it looks like Thompson is just gonna let it fly.

If Whipple and Mickey can get our receivers to run those really tight routes with proper depths, NU could develop a nice passing attack assuming the OL can give Thompson some time.

I really hope NU is able to sign another OL or two, especially the OT variety. Make that a legitimate OT that has decent feet.
CT is going to look like Johnny Unitas after being subjected to AM for 4 straight years

Been gone a couple weeks so this has been great news to come back to. Love seeing all the new transfers, hopefully raising the team's floor a bit. GBR

Reactions: yunginsNU2
Been gone a couple weeks so this has been great news to come back to. Love seeing all the new transfers, hopefully raising the team's floor a bit. GBR
Maybe you being gone is what changed NU's luck? If NU hits another dry spell in the portal, you may well be asked to leave again.

ADVERTISEMENT