ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer target Samori Toure

headcard

Nebraska Legend
Feb 2, 2005
Supposedly this guy is deciding between Nebraska, Miami and Oregon State tomorrow. He was a FCS All-American last year at Montana and was a pre/season All-American this year. Another board said he is currently projected as a 2-3 round draft pick.

Would be a huge addition to a WR room that needs it.

Last edited:
Supposedly this guy is deciding between Nebraska, Miami and Oregon State tomorrow. He was a FCS All-American last year at Montana and was a pre/season All-American this year. Another board said he is currently projected as a 2-3 round draft pick.

If he wants to go to the NFL why would he want to play WR for Frost?

He's not a 2nd or 3rd round pick, but he certainly looks better than what we have.

He's not a 2nd or 3rd round pick, but he certainly looks better than what we have.
You might be right, but he would be a big upgrade. Bigger, faster and more polished than Stan, who was a 1,000 yard receiver here. Don’t want to get my hopes up too high here, but this is a position we need to upgrade and this seems like a great use of the portal. Hope he picks us.

Said it before and I’ll say it again, why are we concerned about bringing in receivers when we don’t have a quarterback that can get the ball to them?
QB is the biggest position of need right now.

Reactions: HuskerO
Hate to say it but what guarantee is there that he wouldn't just be sitting on the bench like Omar? That would be the very first question I would want answered if I was a WR considering a transfer to Nebraska.

Reactions: ssmill777
Hate to say it but what guarantee is there that he wouldn't just be sitting on the bench like Omar? That would be the very first question I would want answered if I was a WR considering a transfer to Nebraska.
Omar didn’t sit on the bench. That’s a pretty bad comparison. The last two grad transfer WR’s we brought in, who were much less talented, played a lot.

Omar didn't play more than a couple snaps because of something he had going on. Not because he was sat on the bench. Hopefully he breaks out next season.

Omar didn’t sit on the bench. That’s a pretty bad comparison. The last two grad transfer WR’s we brought in, who were much less talented, played a lot.
How many catches did they each have? And did they get showcased enough to get into the NFL? Obviously I'm being the devil's advocate here but I think those are the questions that grad transfers would ask now and opposing coaches recruiting them would tell them to ask. The point being that sadly the Huskers don't have a great rep these days for WRs.

How many catches did they each have? And did they get showcased enough to get into the NFL? Obviously I'm being the devil's advocate here but I think those are the questions that grad transfers would ask now.

They never were going to the NFL. I get it, WR play here hasn’t been great. But Frost and Lubick have had some NFL receivers over the years and this kid has some connection to them (he’s from Portland) and, hopefully, thinks this is his best route to the NFL.

He'd be an exciting addition, but let's pump the brakes first. Everywhere I looked that predicts NFL drafts for players, one predicted Toure as 5-7 round guy, but three others say he's an PFA player. This is still better than anyone we have now. Rivals does not list him among the top 25 WRs in the transfer portal.

And to hijack the hype for Markese Stepp, who would also be a nice add, Rivals says he is a P5 depth guy. He gained 500 yards for USC in 3 seasons. For us, though, if Mills doesn't return and Robinson leaves, he would probably enter as our starter.

Said it before and I’ll say it again, why are we concerned about bringing in receivers when we don’t have a quarterback that can get the ball to them?
QB is the biggest position of need right now.
Adrian Martinez set a shool record by completing 71.5% of his passes this past year. Yes his yards per catch wasn't great but SOME of that was on having guys catch the ball who didn't do much after the catch. I think he can get the ball to his WRs. What he has to stop doing is getting it to DBs.

He'd be an exciting addition, but let's pump the brakes first. Everywhere I looked that predicts NFL drafts for players, one predicted Toure as 5-7 round guy, but three others say he's an PFA player. This is still better than anyone we have now. Rivals does not list him among the top 25 WRs in the transfer portal.

And to hijack the hype for Markese Stepp, who would also be a nice add, Rivals says he is a P5 depth guy. He gained 500 yards for USC in 3 seasons. For us, though, if Mills doesn't return and Robinson leaves, he would probably enter as our starter.
Everybody would have called Devine at best a P5 depth guy his freshman year as well. I'll take a STEPP please. He's a beast who could break out at NU.

Our biggest draw in trying to land him is immediate playing time. We desperately need talent at that position. And Amart is not a bad passer. He just isn’t a great one. But his percentages are solid. My biggest issue with Amart is his tendency to fumble.

The clip at 1:46 is the part we desperately need....makes the catch, makes one small move and is gone. Even Wandale doesn't do that, doesn't quite have the top end speed. Hope he picks us.

Adrian Martinez set a shool record by completing 71.5% of his passes this past year. Yes his yards per catch wasn't great but SOME of that was on having guys catch the ball who didn't do much after the catch. I think he can get the ball to his WRs. What he has to stop doing is getting it to DBs.
I'm not so sure Martinez could get the ball to those same receivers today is the problem I'm seeing. He's seemed to greatly regress as he's missed open WRs time & time again. We don't believe we saw it this bad his freshman year which is a huge cause for concern on the lack of development from our coaches.

I hate the "well if Martinez is at QB why does it matter who's playing wide receiver" attitude. We've been awful at the skill positions the last two years. Dedrick Mills is an above average running back and Wandale is a 5'8" slot receiver. Those have been his two best weapons. His best year was his freshman year, when we had Ozigbo, Stanley Morgan, and JD Spielman. We never really replaced Stanley Morgan with any decent outside wide receivers and that's been a huge part of the problem in my opinion.

I hate the "well if Martinez is at QB why does it matter who's playing wide receiver" attitude. We've been awful at the skill positions the last two years. Dedrick Mills is an above average running back and Wandale is a 5'8" slot receiver. Those have been his two best weapons. His best year was his freshman year, when we had Ozigbo, Stanley Morgan, and JD Spielman. We never really replaced Stanley Morgan with any decent outside wide receivers and that's been a huge part of the problem in my opinion.

Stanley Morgan had 1,000 yards receiving AM's freshman year. It matters and people who don't get that don't know football.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT