ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal/OU/Micah Bowen

v1nufan

Redshirt Freshman
Aug 15, 2018
Can’t help but laugh on how the transfer portal process disguises the behind the scenes ‘recruiting’ that occurs for some players who are still on active rosters of other teams. Take former PSU QB Micah Bowen;
—2020 3star from Las Vegas signs with PSU, among his offers were just 1 school from the Big 12, Kansas.
—Within 8 days of each other at the end of 2020, OU see’s 2 backup QB’s enter the portal and end up at TCU and SMU.
—Bowen enters transfer portal on January 15.
—Bowen accepts scholarship offer to OU on January 19.

Hard to imagine player and OU actually make this happen without ‘handlers’ involved prior to Jan. 15th. Happens to every team of course, and certainly most teams are involved with the back office dealings to bring in a new player. IMO, it sucks. That is all.
GBR !

College football is simply a combo of nfl minor leagues and what one thinks is historical college football. The condo is split by school/conference though. At some point it needs to be figured out how to separate that for health of the system and clarity of purpose. I would be ok with too high school players being in a non-college based system. But you know what, NFL does not want that. An expense they don’t have to worry about and college system is really their bitch where they don’t have to worry about pensions, widespread medical suits for players until they are part of the big show.

Reactions: 9and4 and v1nufan
College football is getting close to imploding. There is a leadership vacuum. The NCAA is a paper puppet. The money is huge, at what point does someone figure out a model that replaces college with semi pro?

I mean, transfer portal = free agency

NiL = contracts or salary for players.

Recruiting is a cesspool. Rule breakers are everywhere.

If the NFL changes the 3 year rule it will be like college hoops. A shell of its former greatness

im convinced the transfer portal will probably end up helping the blue bloods more than the average program. The only way a blue blood has a down year is when they lose a key player or players who they can't replace immediately. Now they have the opportunity to replace that player from the transfer portal if they happened to miss in recruiting and have a weak spot. the elite transfers are still going to go to the elite programs.
OU had a OT leave early for the NFL so they replaced him with a 5-star OT transfer from tennessee. problem solved
the big boys now have another pathway to ensure they never have a down year.

im convinced the transfer portal will probably end up helping the blue bloods more than the average program. The only way a blue blood has a down year is when they lose a key player or players who they can't replace immediately. Now they have the opportunity to replace that player from the transfer portal if they happened to miss in recruiting and have a weak spot. the elite transfers are still going to go to the elite programs.
OU had a OT leave early for the NFL so they replaced him with a 5-star OT transfer from tennessee. problem solved
Yea. Just call his high school coach and bam, done. Would be interesting if had a cap on various scholarship rules. Like OU loses can taken2 less next year or something. Anyway, I would prefer a minor leagues where they are paid and leave college sports to real college students. Yes I am old. But would prefer lower profile yet still competitive and fun school spirit type of atmosphere. Coaches making 8 mil for college sports is silly to me

Reactions: ATX Husker
Yea. Just call his high school coach and bam, done. Would be interesting if had a cap on various scholarship rules. Like OU loses can taken2 less next year or something. Anyway, I would prefer a minor leagues where they are paid and leave college sports to real college students. Yes I am old. But would prefer lower profile yet still competitive and fun school spirit type of atmosphere. Coaches making 8 mil for college sports is silly to me
paying the players is only going to make it worse.

Reactions: ATX Husker
College football is getting close to imploding. There is a leadership vacuum. The NCAA is a paper puppet. The money is huge, at what point does someone figure out a model that replaces college with semi pro?

I mean, transfer portal = free agency

NiL = contracts or salary for players.

Recruiting is a cesspool. Rule breakers are everywhere.

If the NFL changes the 3 year rule it will be like college hoops. A shell of its former greatness
There's way more money in college football. And besides, the players get their schooling and living expenses paid for. In semi-pro, they probably wouldn't be making much more and have to get a regular job in the off-season.

There's way more money in college football. And besides, the players get their schooling and living expenses paid for. In semi-pro, they probably wouldn't be making much more and have to get a regular job in the off-season.
college athletes also get extravagant meals. my friends son was a walk on track athlete at NeB and he got prime rib, shrimp, lobster, steak, twice baked potatoes, all you can drink smoothies, every day.
more gear than he could use in his lifetime. and he was just a walk on.
no wonder these kids will walk on and never play. its worth it just to get the benefits. some of use make 6 figures and can count on 1 hand the number of high end meals we eat in a year that are the equivalent of what NEB athletes eat on a daily basis.

Yep. I’ve said this for a couple of years now. Blue bloods aren’t going to be hurt by a QB not panning out from a recruiting class. OSU missed on Tate Martell but got Justin Fields instead. Jalen Hurts to OU is another example.

ADVERTISEMENT