ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer portal inventory

Once you put your name in the portal, the school no longer has to honor your scholarship IF you then decide you want to come back after all. So, yes it is an important step.

Nebraska refused to take back RB Bell when he wanted to reverse his decision to leave. But Nebraska welcomed QB Bunch back after he decided he didn't want to transfer.

Not wise to burn your bridges if you aren't sure.

Once you put your name in the portal, the school no longer has to honor your scholarship IF you then decide you want to come back after all. So, yes it is an important step.

Nebraska refused to take back RB Bell when he wanted to reverse his decision to leave. But Nebraska welcomed QB Bunch back after he decided he didn't want to transfer.

Not wise to burn your bridges if you aren't sure.

Bell was on scholly though...Bunch is not. So bringing Bunch back doesn't really cost NU anything.

I think many of these kids think they are some super star and their coaches are dumb for not seeing their talent. They enter the portal thinking they will have tons of schools fighting to get them. Once they enter, they realize they aren't as awesome as they think

Reactions: mmunso7
I think many of these kids think they are some super star and their coaches are dumb for not seeing their talent. They enter the portal thinking they will have tons of schools fighting to get them. Once they enter, they realize they aren't as awesome as they think
There is probably a lot of truth to that...I think a lot of them also think that they are better known than they really are. For the most part, once you are at a school, other coaches forget about you and move on. So unless you are just a huge recruit or totally established as a college player...you are probably just another name on a list to a lot of coaches.

There are as many reasons as there are kids wanting to transfer. We picked up who wanted to play with his brother. We lose some because they aren't cracking the two deep. Coaches have to decide if the transfer is going to really help their team - skill and culturally. If it is risky, why take a chance? I also think there are many underlying issues we know nothing about. A kid might be lazy, miss classes, not a good teammate, or a whole bunch of other things. I know if I were a coach I would be VERY selective on who brought in. Your entire team Dynamics can change in a hurry. I would have to ask what the kid is escaping from and what do they expect to find?

I’m starting to wonder if Illinois and Smith are getting desperate. I seen they have taken a decent number of guys and they are from big name schools like USC, Bama, OU and Georgia I believe. The weird part is the players have like 2 catches, or 4 catches and stuff like that. They are players they have done literally nothing. My point is, it appears Smith is just rolling the dice a few players from bigger name schools at Illinois. I’m not sure if that’s smart or wise.

I’m starting to wonder if Illinois and Smith are getting desperate. I seen they have taken a decent number of guys and they are from big name schools like USC, Bama, OU and Georgia I believe. The weird part is the players have like 2 catches, or 4 catches and stuff like that. They are players they have done literally nothing. My point is, it appears Smith is just rolling the dice a few players from bigger name schools at Illinois. I’m not sure if that’s smart or wise.

Sounds like Hoiberg

Not even close. Hoiberg is taking proven players. Again Illinois is timing the dice on players that HAVE NOT PLAYED.

Sort of...

JC guys are never really proven and most of the time a shell of them former selves at the D1 level.

Transfers are a bit different. You have dudes that are highly sought after (KU, UK, UNC and the like, like Holyfield from SFA and I imagine Blackshear from VT)

Then you have transfers that just didn't fit but are still good...then you have transfers that are looking for a shot somewhere else but more than likely are not playing a lot at their current school because they are just not that good.

Lastly...you have the dudes that have been problems and are down to their last chance.

Out of all those, there is really only one category that isn't a dice role. That is the transfer/grad transfer that has put up numbers AND is being courted by big time programs.

Reactions: cecilB and Top_Gun_
Sort of...

JC guys are never really proven and most of the time a shell of them former selves at the D1 level.

Transfers are a bit different. You have dudes that are highly sought after (KU, UK, UNC and the like, like Holyfield from SFA and I imagine Blackshear from VT)

Then you have transfers that just didn't fit but are still good...then you have transfers that are looking for a shot somewhere else but more than likely are not playing a lot at their current school because they are just not that good.

Lastly...you have the dudes that have been problems and are down to their last chance.

Out of all those, there is really only one category that isn't a dice role. That is the transfer/grad transfer that has put up numbers AND is being courted by big time programs.

That’s still better in my opinion to roll the dice on someone averaging 21.4 points a game and like 10 assists over a player that has never played a snap of D1 football or maybe seen the field ONCE. If you look at the guys he’s taking most are sophomores and juniors. Maybe I’m wrong there. Sorry but I don’t see how you’d even think it’s close. And so far two are jucos, correct...Green and Cam Mack...the other ones are proven D1 players, CORRECT??

Last edited:
Reactions: Top_Gun_
Illinois targets they taken so far per transfer portal and I’ll start with their two senior grad transfers....

Richie Petitbon OL from Georgia: senior and no clue if he’s played at all...they don’t show stats on Oline...

AD Miller WR from OU: senior grad transfer.... he has 14 receptions his career

Oluwole Betiku Jr LB from USC; he is a junior so he will have to set a year and he had a whopping 2 tackles and a half of a TFL his career

Luke Ford TE from Georgia: he is a sophomore so he will have to set a year and has no stats...he never played a down.

Trevon Sidney WR from USC: he’s a sophomore so will have to SIT (there Du...HAPPY NOW) a year and has a monstrous 3 receptions his career....

This the few I could find..I think Smith has taken more. Again those guys just seem like a roll of the dice...and yes, in my opinion at least, different from what Hoiberg has been taking.

Last edited:
I remember the Yankoff Johnson jokes (Keshawn Johnson) that recruiting cycle. I just checked and Johnson is not listed on the Arizona roster and is not in the transfer portal. Anyone know what happened to him?

We supposed to be a blueblood program and we in here talkin' bout Illinois. Illinois! Not another blueblood, We talkin' bout Illinois, man. How silly is that?

Winking

That’s just weird. Illinois is a fellow BIG10 team and an in conference foe. Yes we can talk about them and I don’t see how being a blue bloods has thing to do with talking about other conference foes... ;)

Reactions: TarheelHuskerFan
Sort of...

And my bad bro, I forgot to do the two transfers Hoiberg has taken so far to compare to Illinois transfers they have taken..

Hoiberg has taken two plays per transfer thus far and looking at another or few...

Cheatham (sorry if miss spelled) he’s a proven Talent that played at Marq. And is a senior grad transfer

Matej Kavas he’s a proven talent that’s a senior grad transfer.

Then we are after Jayce Johnson a grad Transfer from Utah and he’s a 7 footer and a proven talent..

Now Green and Cam Mack are both jucos YES...but that’s more like recruiting senior high schoolers and not the same thing as taken transfers in the portal...or at least doesn’t seem that way since Jucos and High school talent has been hand in hand with recruiting for decades and viewed the same. But I do admit it seems more equal to the transfer portal...but that thing just came out...lol. Jucos are immediate and transfers out side grad transfers, have to set a year.

Last edited:
That’s still better in my opinion to roll the dice on someone averaging 21.4 points a game and like 10 assists over a player that has never played a snap of D1 football or maybe seen the field ONCE. If you look at the guys he’s taking most are sophomores and juniors. Maybe I’m wrong there. Sorry but I don’t see how you’d even think it’s close. And so far two are jucos, correct...Green and Cam Mack...the other ones are proven D1 players, CORRECT??

Cam Mack is the #2 PG at the JC level.
Andre Feliz was the #1 PG at the JC level last year, went to Illinois and played in all 33 games and went for 8.8 points a game. I think that is pretty good for the most part. I would assume Mack would be similar.

Isn't one of the guys from FGCU? Big difference from FGCU to the Big Ten but I think he did do well while in the Big East.

I don't know if I would call any of them "proven" except for maybe the FGCU guy because he played well in a big conference. The rest of the guys will have to prove it, I think.

I do agree that Lovie is pretty much trying to get anyone he can right now. Guys that, at the time, seemed like studs but clearly have not done much if anything at all.

Reactions: Top_Gun_
Cam Mack is the #2 PG at the JC level.
Andre Feliz was the #1 PG at the JC level last year, went to Illinois and played in all 33 games and went for 8.8 points a game. I think that is pretty good for the most part. I would assume Mack would be similar.

Isn't one of the guys from FGCU? Big difference from FGCU to the Big Ten but I think he did do well while in the Big East.

I don't know if I would call any of them "proven" except for maybe the FGCU guy because he played well in a big conference. The rest of the guys will have to prove it, I think.

Again I’m counting the JUCOS AS RECRUITS. Bro are you not reading y my posts at all lol. That’s why I see it differently. And two I’m talking Illinois football team. Wasn’t even mentioning their basketball team.

That’s just weird. Illinois is a fellow BIG10 team and an in conference foe. Yes we can talk about them and I don’t see how being a blue bloods has thing to do with talking about other conference foes... ;)
I knew no one would get it.

maybe smith is just figuring he doesn't have a great deal to lose as he doesn't have a lot to start with

I was referring to Hoiberg's history. He was known at Iowa St for taking some transfers that were on their last chance and getting the most out of them. Many of them were guys that were highly rated coming out of high school that didn't get it done at their first and sometimes second school.

It wasn't a criticism of Hoiberg, just simply stating what he has done in the past.

Do I need to remind you of James Palmer, Andrew White, or Isaac Copeland? Those guys all came from "name" schools, were top prospects, and didn't produce like they were supposed to at Miami, Kansas, or Georgetown, but when they got to Nebraska all performed better than they did at their previous school. Were those all shots in the dark?

Reactions: dinglefritz
I was referring to Hoiberg's history. He was known at Iowa St for taking some transfers that were on their last chance and getting the most out of them. Many of them were guys that were highly rated coming out of high school that didn't get it done at their first and sometimes second school.

It wasn't a criticism of Hoiberg, just simply stating what he has done in the past.

Do I need to remind you of James Palmer, Andrew White, or Isaac Copeland? Those guys all came from "name" schools, were top prospects, and didn't produce like they were supposed to at Miami, Kansas, or Georgetown, but when they got to Nebraska all performed better than they did at their previous school. Were those all shots in the dark?

Agreed to an extent. But all of those guys mentioned at least had a decent season or two and one got hurt then got jumped on the depth chart then found a team he could start with and the other one had several ok to decent season.

Again the guys Smiths taking haven’t even played a full game let alone in the two deep. But I get, maybe he’s hoping the guys he’s taking are guys that where buried on the depth chart by really good players...but it’s sting a HUGE roll of the dice...it’s only a scholarship right or 5 ;)

Agreed to an extent. But all of those guys mentioned at least had a decent season or two and one got hurt then got jumped on the depth chart then found a team he could start with and the other one had several ok to decent season.

Again the guys Smiths taking haven’t even played a full game let alone in the two deep. But I get, maybe he’s hoping the guys he’s taking are guys that where buried on the depth chart by really good players...but it’s sting a HUGE roll of the dice...it’s only a scholarship right or 5 ;)

As I said in another thread, 50% of every class busts, a huge majority of the playing time comes from about 45 scholarship dudes on the roster. The rest never contribute. If half the dudes work out that Smith takes a chance on, that have physical skills but couldn't crack the lineup at their previous schools, he will be no worse for the wear and could possibly see improvement.

For the record Palmer and White never averaged more that 4 points per game at Miami and Kansas. So neither of them had a "decent" season.

Issac Copeland averaged 11 points and 5 rebounds a game before he got hurt at Georgetown
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/isaac-copeland-1.html

James Palmer was never a starter at Miami as a freshman and sophomore. He didn’t wait and see how he’d done at Miami and join us and killed it...
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/james-palmer-1.html

So I guess we are both right and wrong.
Either way, both players gave Miles enough film to make a good judgement call. AGAIN the players Smith is taking isn’t giving any film outside high school recruiting profiles.

Lol I see you purposely left Copeland off there. Regardless, all Husker players had at least film on them to see how they played as young players. Go look at the players L Smith is taking, none have played a down or at best...played a few snaps or a snap..

Lol I see you purposely left Copeland off there. Regardless, all Husker players had at least film on them to see how they played as young players. Go look at the players L Smith is taking, none have played a down or at best...played a few snaps or a snap..
Of course he left Copeland off because he's the only one that had a decent season prior to coming to Nebraska though you said all 3 had decent seasons....

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
I agree that 11 points and 5 rebounds are "decent" but would also say it was viewed as a disappointment for a 5 star recruit. It's common knowledge that Copeland took a lot of criticism during his time at Georgetown.

Don't forget, a lot of the kids in the transfer portal have had the conversation with the coaches and see the writing on the wall that they are not likely to play.

Transfers are just part of the landscape of college sports these days. Like someone said earlier in the post there are a lot of reason for a kid wanting to transfer, and also the coach wanting a kid to transfer.

People tend to overlook the fact that some of the reasons kids are transferring is on the coach. Not that they aren't playing them or they are buried on the depth chart, but maybe the coaches didn't do a good job evaluating the player. Looking in to his personality, his abilities, has he already peaked in his performance, being able to handle being a long way away from home. What he wants to do with his life after school.

Just starting out this process with our daughter for soccer, and it can be really intimidating for a parent, let alone on 16-18 year old kid. There is so much that goes in to finding the best possible fit.

Reactions: baseball31ne
While I generally want to support player freedoms, seeing football turn into what basketball has become (re: transfers) does not appeal to me. Maybe I’m old fashioned, which is odd for me to say.

I don’t oppose some transferring but don’t like the mass exodus shit show where players have zero loyalty to the concept of “team”.
I can’t argue against many valid counterpoints, but just my take.

Illinois targets they taken so far per transfer portal and I’ll start with their two senior grad transfers....

Richie Petitbon OL from Georgia: senior and no clue if he’s played at all...they don’t show stats on Oline...

AD Miller WR from OU: senior grad transfer.... he has 14 receptions his career

Oluwole Betiku Jr LB from USC; he is a junior so he will have to set a year and he had a whopping 2 tackles and a half of a TFL his career

Luke Ford TE from Georgia: he is a sophomore so he will have to set a year and has no stats...he never played a down.

Trevon Sidney WR from USC: he’s a sophomore so will have to set a year and has a monstrous 3 receptions his career....

This the few I could find..I think Smith has taken more. Again those guys just seem like a roll of the dice...and yes, in my opinion at least, different from what Hoiberg has been taking.

I'm sorry, but some has to say it; it's 'sit' not "set." A person sits out a year, sits in a chair, or babysits. You set an object on a table, or play a set of tennis or volleyball.

This should only be for kids with 1st yrsr coaches.

Feels lIke jumping jobs then wonder why you dont make more money.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT