ADVERTISEMENT

Totally OT: What's Your Favorite Breed of Dog?

I've bird hunted for 40 years and been around all the top hunting breeds. My Muensters have had no formal training, just my sorry-azz attempts. Absolutely will not quit, great noses but best of all they are calm and so make terrific house dogs.

I have never heard of this breed until this thread and started researching them. Amazing animals! Breeding is very selective to preserve the genetics. I don't hunt as much as I once did, a few times a year, would probably go more if I had a good dog now that I am retired with more time. My guess is these dogs are very expensive and most breeders won't sell one to just anyone - you have to promise to have it trained and use it often.

Reactions: Laner2
I have an Aussie/border collie mix and a Brittney. Wonderful breeds. Smart and sweetest dogs int he world.

I have never heard of this breed until this thread and started researching them. Amazing animals! Breeding is very selective to preserve the genetics. I don't hunt as much as I once did, a few times a year, would probably go more if I had a good dog now that I am retired with more time. My guess is these dogs are very expensive and most breeders won't sell one to just anyone - you have to promise to have it trained and use it often.

Last I heard there were not enough Muensters in the US to be AKC registered. The breeders I've met are kinda fanatics about this breed. They routinely go back to Germany for fresh stock so the genetics stay good. To a certain extent, when you buy one it is kind of word of mouth between the breeders. If you have a good rep with breeder A, word gets out to breeders B, C, D...... They really are nuts about protecting this breed. I got my last one in 2011 and paid a cool grand for her. Never looked back.

Last I heard there were not enough Muensters in the US to be AKC registered. The breeders I've met are kinda fanatics about this breed. They routinely go back to Germany for fresh stock so the genetics stay good. To a certain extent, when you buy one it is kind of word of mouth between the breeders. If you have a good rep with breeder A, word gets out to breeders B, C, D...... They really are nuts about protecting this breed. I got my last one in 2011 and paid a cool grand for her. Never looked back.

On a quick search I found a breeder in KC and one in Brainard, NE. They have quite the web sites, one tends to be more about the social aspect and the other on the hunting part. Beautiful dogs and by all accounts, very smart naturally. The price, even in 2011 doesn't surprise me, that is if they even would sell one.

I was looking at a different breed several years ago and contacted a breeder. He asked what I was looking for and I said, a dog that is trainable, natural hunter, one that loves to ride with me in the truck and be at home with my wife and I. He said he would not sell me one of his dogs.

A friend recently purchased the same breed and I asked him if he had to certify his life away and he said yes. The breeder made him promise a whole bunch of things about training, how often he hunts with them, if he breeds them and it was nuts.

I understand the point of keeping the breed as pure as possible. That makes perfect sense given how many have been destroyed over the years. Where would a person even start on looking at the Munsterlanders?

On a quick search I found a breeder in KC and one in Brainard, NE. They have quite the web sites, one tends to be more about the social aspect and the other on the hunting part. Beautiful dogs and by all accounts, very smart naturally. The price, even in 2011 doesn't surprise me, that is if they even would sell one.

I was looking at a different breed several years ago and contacted a breeder. He asked what I was looking for and I said, a dog that is trainable, natural hunter, one that loves to ride with me in the truck and be at home with my wife and I. He said he would not sell me one of his dogs.

A friend recently purchased the same breed and I asked him if he had to certify his life away and he said yes. The breeder made him promise a whole bunch of things about training, how often he hunts with them, if he breeds them and it was nuts.

I understand the point of keeping the breed as pure as possible. That makes perfect sense given how many have been destroyed over the years. Where would a person even start on looking at the Munsterlanders?

Got mine from the place in Brainard. By the way, they have land you can hunt on, or can arrange land, and no limit on birds. Haven't tried that and may not with my lousy knees. However, the place in Brainard is top notch. I researched them like crazy before buying my dog in 2011 and they came highly regarded. The key with any Muenster breeder is whether they go back to Germany on a regular basis to assure the quality of the stock. If the breeder only gets its dames and sires in the US, look elsewhere.

I didn't have to do the things your friend has done but then I got my last Muenster in 2011, and things have probably changed. I could go on forever about the genesis of the breed (you really should look that up.....it's fascinating why the breed came into being in the first place) but I really don't want to overhype the breed and have every dorkus go out and buy one and then never hunt it. Like buying a Hellcat to pull a plow.

Last edited:
I have a husky dog. I love this breed because of their eyes and their calm character. My dog enjoys almost every kind of food I feed him with. I try not to teach him to eat a certain type of food. I make his alimentation more various. I walk him once in two days, but he almost every day is free to run in my yard. My wife bought him a deer antler for dogs and he plays with it all the day. It stimulates the strength of his teeth.

Last edited:
My favorite breed of dog is the yellow Labrador. I am not a professional and cannot tell why they are better than the others. I just like how they look and think they are really smart.
I also want to get one to be my emotional support animal and help me fight depression and anxiety. I hope I will find a good friend in this dog, and it will always be there for me. This is all I need: someone to need me and wait for me home every day. Now I want to get official documentation from esaregistration.org and an ESA letter from my therapist to register this dog legally. Then I will proceed to buy one or adopt it from a shelter. The second variant is even better.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: huntered and WHCSC
360_F_309155078_yA9XnAfuD79FMyzX7e9U869WoRTCXH0M.jpg

Plug - I have had 2 Australian Cattle Dogs (blue female and a red male) and will forever be convinced they are the ultimate dog breed. Super smart, loyal, compact and sturdy, and can protective of their family. If you were bred to take a kick from a cow, you gotta be tough. My current red heeler is about 6 or 7 now, I just had his ACL (CCL) repaired and now it looks like his other knee is bothering him. So, I have learned my lesson on the physical end of these dogs. I guess its bad to do a lot of jumping before 1.5 years old. We did a ton of frisbee when he was younger. These dogs can fly, but Im pretty sure I jacked his knees up by doing too much. Hoping I can keep his good knee healthy enough to last him the rest of his life because that CCL surgery is kind of a bitch. and $$$$$$

Reactions: king_kong_
without a doubt the best breed is the one i have. loved them all.
currently have a border collie/australian shepard mix or could be a border collie/dingo mix. looks dingo and has a very wide jaw opening capability. a true velcro dog with a great nose.

Well maybe, but my neighbors 3 little girls would disagree with this thinking.
I had a farmer friend who was sure his Chow Chow was a great family dog until it tore the face off of his 6 year old. Had another friend whose father-in-law's Chow went for the face of her 3 year old. Left permanent facial scars. Horrible breed.

Laner2 got me interested in the Small Munsterlanders. I found a breeder in Peculiar, MO and spent an afternoon with the breeder and his stock. They are beautiful and amazing dogs. Great hunters but equally at home in the house. These people go through the Puppy Protocol, it is well worth it. Thanks Laner2 for turning me onto this breed. No, I do not have one and likely won't.

Last edited:
I had a farmer friend who was sure his Chow Chow was a great family dog until it tore the face off of his 6 year old. Had another friend whose father-in-law's Chow went for the face of her 3 year old. Left permanent facial scars. Horrible breed.
My wife had a bad experience with a full breed chow as well.

We've had 2 partially chow mixes and couldn't ask for 2 sweeter dogs. Every dog is different and ours have been great.

Last edited:
You always know the most people who have had the worst problems. I'm beginning to see a pattern here.

• Love
Reactions: dinglefritz
My wife had a bad experience with a full breed chow as well.

We've had 2 partially chow mixes and couldn't ask for 2 sweeter dogs. Every dog is different and ours have been great.
I've had 2 Chow mixes meself. The 1st was an awesome dog, but she had no F's to give about people or dogs she didn't know (but was super chill) never gave us no problems.

Second was great (she was a hippie in former life) loved everybody and everything. Except spiders she ate those. I could take her anywhere and not worry about her, tail was always going.

My third, which we're fairly sure she is a purebred (got her from a shelter) is 11 now. Must have come from good stock and had a decent home for a while at least, till we got her. Is a good dog, she's ok with new people and kids. Likes other dogs well enough, but loves cats. 🐈 I've had a lot of compliments on her temperament. (considering she's a Chow)

Like you said, every dog is different.

You always know the most people who have had the worst problems. I'm beginning to see a pattern here.
Well I'm getting old so I've seen lots of crap in may days. I told the one Chow Chow owner when I visited him on his farm that he needed to get rid of that dog before it hurt one of his kids. You could tell that dog was barely tolerating his kids and the Chow Chow's reputation is well known. Some vets won't even let them in their office. A few months after I told him that, the dog literally tore one of his kids' face off. I've had many canine pets over the past 60+ years and have hunted behind everything from labs, to Muensters, GSH pointers, Springers, Brittanys to even a duck retrieving Cocker Spaniel (not kidding), The Cocker was amazing. He would literally kick a Chessie's ass to take a duck away from it in the water. I didn't hunt a lot after college but the guys I went with always had dogs.

Reactions: GBRforLife1
Without a doubt, my two Coton de Tulear dogs are the best friends anyone could ever want for themselves or their children. Beyond smart, loyal, playful and loving, they are an indoor dog trained to use the litter box (huge benefit) and do not shed. Their coats are soft as a cotton ball and are becoming a VERY popular, albeit expensive dog. My wife has NEVER been an animal lover, but we inherited our two as young pups when my daughter had to relocate and couldn’t bring them with her. Now, these two are like my wife’s own children! Trust me on this one, get one if you can find one and thank me later.

Reactions: BigRedGal
Very sorry. Great dogs. Hope you adopt another.

We have a rescue dog that i got for my kids six years ago so he's lonely right now. All I've ever had with the exception of the rescue is Aussies, but not sure if I'll get another.

Thought I might as well reply to this thread than posting a new one. My dog became sick 3 weeks ago and stopped eating, after a few rounds of anti biotics, x rays found nothing, and no improvement I have scheduled with the vet to put her down tomorrow. It pains me, but watching her suffer and wither away pains me more. This is my first dog and have never witnessed the process before and am just looking advice on what to expect if you have been through it. She's been a good dog for me and my family. I thought we had a few more good years together left to share, but as in life, we don't get to dictate when the time comes.

Had to do it twice. Both Cockapoos. Sweetest dogs ever.
The vet takes the dog into the back, puts an IV catheter in, and brings the dog back to you.
Then you hold the dog while the vet gives the drug IV. Very peaceful, but very sad.
I miss those dogs.

Reactions: LightningJack
Thought I might as well reply to this thread than posting a new one. My dog became sick 3 weeks ago and stopped eating, after a few rounds of anti biotics, x rays found nothing, and no improvement I have scheduled with the vet to put her down tomorrow. It pains me, but watching her suffer and wither away pains me more. This is my first dog and have never witnessed the process before and am just looking advice on what to expect if you have been through it. She's been a good dog for me and my family. I thought we had a few more good years together left to share, but as in life, we don't get to dictate when the time comes.
RBP,

I've been through this 5 times already and I can say it never gets any easier. I can still tear up just thinking about it.

Having said that, you're doing them a kindness by ending their suffering. These 4-legged friends become our babies and we are tasked with caring for them. Having done all that you could for her will give you comfort after it's over. It's going to hurt seeing her go but knowing you're doing what's best for her is what will get you through it.

I pray that the Lord will give you and your family peace, comfort and strength in this difficult time.

RBP,

I've been through this 5 times already and I can say it never gets any easier. I can still tear up just thinking about it.

Having said that, you're doing them a kindness by ending their suffering. These 4-legged friends become our babies and we are tasked with caring for them. Having done all that you could for her will give you comfort after it's over. It's going to hurt seeing her go but knowing you're doing what's best for her is what will get you through it.

I pray that the Lord will give you and your family peace, comfort and strength in this difficult time.
Could not have said it any better. One of the saddest days of my life. I feel the tears coming back now, and it's been 5 years. You're doing the right thing. Google the 10 commandments of dog ownership.

Reactions: RedBaloneyPony
We've lost 4 in over 5 years, I know the feeling. Your doing the right thing, helping her pass peacefully. Give yourself some time to grieve. Focus on all the good memories, you gave her a good home.

To those who responded to my earlier post, thank you. When I got home from work I patted her head and told her it was ok to let go. Had to go out and feed cows , usually she goes with me but I didn’t want to stress her anymore. When I returned home, she had passed. I really believe she waited for me to get home today. What a journey we had together, many miles, many beers, she was always willing to lend an ear, will miss her.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT