ADVERTISEMENT

Totally OT: What's Your Favorite Breed of Dog?

I've grown up around the following dogs in my life:

- Husky
- Rottweiler # 1 (Berlin)
- Rottweiler # 2 and current family dog with my parents (Bruno), he was born 2/11/2011
- American Bully and current our dog (General), he was born 1/2/2018 and we adopted him from the Capital Humane Society on 1/25/2020.

Something about Rottweilers and AB's that my wife and I love as does our families.

I am a bird dog man. We currently own a Llewellin Setter. He's a pretty good bird finder. He's extremely loyal and pretty laid back around the house. (he's laying at my feet as I type this). He's along great with the wife (and that is really important). I've had three Brittanies (we hunted in 5 states and I will never shoot as many birds as I did behind them), two English Setters (the last one died tragically from a heart attack while hunting when he was only 7. I was devastated for months. He was a beautiful boy), another Llewellin Setter (who was my best friend) and a female black Lab that just died last December who loved everybody and was mourned by almost the whole neighborhood when she died. I loved all those dogs and miss them all. The smartest dog we had wasn't a bird dog, but a border collie my wife adopted from our local shelter. She was flat out smart. She could figure out things that our other dogs would never even consider. She raised the black lab and our first Llewellin setter for us when they were pups. She herded them up for naps. Got toys out of the toy box and took them out to play. Always kept them together when they were really young when we were out on walks or hikes. She was great.

Last edited:
I am a bird dog man. We currently own a Llewellin Setter. He's a pretty good bird finder. He's extremely loyal and pretty laid back around the house. (he's laying at my feet as I type this). He's great with the wife (and that is really important). I've had three Brittanies (we hunted in 5 states and I will never shoot as many birds as I did behind them), two English Setters (the last one died tragically from a heart attack while hunting when he was only 7. I was devastated for months. He was a beautiful boy), another Llewellin Setter (who was my best friend) and a female black Lab that just died last December who loved everybody and was mourned by almost the whole neighborhood when she died. I loved all those dogs and miss them all. The smartest dog we had wasn't a bird dog, but a border collie my wife adopted from our local shelter. She was flat out smart. She could figure out things that our other dogs would never even consider. She raised the black lab and our first Llewellin setter for us when they were pups. She herded them up for naps. Got toys out of the toy box and took them out to play. Always kept them together when they were really young when we were out on walks or hikes. She was great.
I am now on my fifth Brittany. She is a 2 year old rescue we got in Dec. I really don't hunt any more but she seems to have a strong prey drive. She runs like a gazelle. No one at the dog park can keep up with her. Very high energy but she can calm down when needed. A real challenge on a leash. Smart though and really skinny with long legs. She is mostly liver except her underside.

It's cute that you have a dog. I have a 3 year old german shepherd pitbull mix, and me and my kids really love this dog, it became a part of our family now. It's a really friendly and smart dog. That's some of the best qualities that a dog can, in my opinion. If you are interested in buying a german shepherd pitbull mix, you better read something on the internet and see if this type of dogs works for you and for your family. It's good to see, that there are a lot of dog lovers.

Last edited:
The one I have the fondest memories of is my German Shepherd/Collie mix. I absolutely loved that dog, great with kids and absolutely no strangers were allowed on the property at night.

Others I have had that gave me fits while loving them to death are a couple of Olde English Sheep dogs and 3 West Highland Terriers or Westies.

Bichon Frise.

bichon-frise-detail.jpg

If i had a choice and the money to allow for it...

I'd raise a Malamute!

Beautiful dogs...
4_sc.png
Had one growing up. Sadly she only made it to four. I believe her stomach got twisted or something and it killed her. While we were away on vacation too. Not sure if that’s common for them or if we were just unlucky.

And of course they lead the nation in kid bites, they are the most popular dog in America....I am guessing that the most popular car in America is responsible for the most accidents in America.
Exactly. Anyone who claims retrievers are more dangerous than pit bulls must also believe retrievers are more dangerous than lions, since lions hardly ever bite anyone.

I’d bet that as a percent of their population, pit bulls bite more often. But that’s not even the problem. The problem is what kind of bite a pit bull is capable of.

Doesn’t matter if 99% of the time they’re sweet loving dogs. It’s their capability of tearing a child into pieces that’s the problem. I have no doubts that most of them are sweet dogs. That doesn’t mean they should be bred. Other breeds are sweet too, and they don’t have jaws of steel and bodies made of pure muscle.

The pro-pit bull crowd should compromise with the anti-pit crowd. Owners can keep them... we shouldn’t cruelly take them away and euthanize the ones that already exist. But no more breeding them. I see no reason for a pit owner to have a problem with that. You can’t love a dog that doesn’t exist yet, so just get a different breed next time.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I had a cocker. Fantastic dog. Currently have what I believe to be a Lab Pointer mix and she is amazing regardless of the abuse she suffered from the piece of trash who had her before.

Reactions: Laner2
looks like a mailman's worst nightmare to me....
He's actually a really sweet dog. We had his DNA ran and he's a real mix of breeds but these six were named as 12.5% each. German Shepherd, Rottweiler, Doberman, Chow, American Staffordshire Terrier and Boston Terrier.

Last edited:
Reactions: tpmcg
He's actually a really sweet dog. We had his DNA ran and he's a real mix of breeds but these six were named as 12.5% each. German Shepherd, Rottweiler, Doberman, Chow, American Staffordshire Terrier and Boston Terrier.
You got lucky given the genetic makeup. I still wouldn't trust it around children.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT