ADVERTISEMENT

Totally OT: What's Your Favorite Breed of Dog?

1. Irish Terrier - fun loving, good watch dog, loves other people and other dogs, does not look for a fight but will not back down from anything. Afraid of nothing--firecrackers, loud explosions, any type of critter (current dog has killed two raccoons that came into yard), etc. On my third Irish and a great dog and good size, approximately 35 pounds.
2. Boxer - another fun loving dog and nice to be around. Have had five in family.
3. Doberman Pinscher - not for everyone and pretty much a family dog, but also partial to one family member sometimes. Great watch dog and very intimidating. Have had four in family.

Pit bull for sure...what a misunderstood breed of dog and what the media has done to these four legged sweeties is criminal...My 4 pits are the NICEST SWEETEST...Shit hold on...

Stupid dogs just ate the neighbors triplets.
Love it!!!

Hm, there are a lot of great breeds and it depends on your expectations from your pet. Personally fpr me, the best became corgy. I had a lot of dogs, different breeds, but corgy is perfect for me. They learn very fast everything that you hive to them. They love spending time woth their owner and simply they are adorable:). I trained my pet by my own and he know a lot of exarcises that does very good and he like it. I was using https://petpls.com/ while trainings, it helped me to understood the breed better and pick the best iptions to train my new friend.

Last edited:
Used to be a border collie, but they can be too OC. They need to work and if they don't, they get bored. Not their fault. Most people not equipped to own one. They like to be outside and actively stimulated.

Now I'd say Aussie. Smart, obedient, pretty chill.

Since football news is going to be very sparse for a while, let's try a OT question. What's your favorite breed of dog?

Mine simply is a German Shepherd.

Personally, i go with Rhodesian Ridgebacks.
https://www.thepetsandlove.com/can-a-rhodesian-ridgeback-kill-a-lion/
a749280b124912b47da345573b3e98c5.jpg

we got a havanese last fall.
he's been a great addition to the fam.
i guess we're getting another one...

We had a Bernese Mountain Dog and loved her. Unfortunately for large breed purebreds, they don't last long. So now we have a mutt and he's pretty great as well. I also love bulldogs.

Reactions: tpmcg
I’ve had two boxers- GREAT dogs with horrible health problems
Boxers obviously. Current boy has some sort of allergies or something that causes boils around his mouth and related pink skin on neck/chest. Only steroids seem to help. Still working with the vet to figure it out.

Boxers obviously. Current boy has some sort of allergies or something that causes boils around his mouth and related pink skin on neck/chest. Only steroids seem to help. Still working with the vet to figure it out.
Look into Apoquel, we've had our Shepherd/Golden mix on it for 3 years. Works really good, kinda pricey, better than watching him rub his face into the ground and chew his paws off every 5 minutes.

We had a beautiful shelter mutt for years and I tried everything to address her pollen allergies - nothing seemed to work. Then as she reached more of a senior age, the vet put her on a thyroid medication. It wasn't intended to address her allergies, but they went away almost overnight.

What do you feed him? What types of treats do you give him? Do they ooze at all? Persistent or flare up?

What do you feed him? What types of treats do you give him? Do they ooze at all? Persistent or flare up?

He's two years old and I've tried a couple different grain-free high end foods at first. For the past year or so, I've settled him into Rachael Ray Nutrish beef, pea, and brown rice formula. For treats its Ol Roy munchy bones and dried chicken jerky.

They're like red welts/warts around his jowls and they bleed. Never seem to go away without steroids.

He's two years old and I've tried a couple different grain-free high end foods at first. For the past year or so, I've settled him into Rachael Ray Nutrish beef, pea, and brown rice formula. For treats its Ol Roy munchy bones and dried chicken jerky.

They're like red welts/warts around his jowls and they bleed. Never seem to go away without steroids.
FWIW, I've had 2 rottweilers that got a type of acne that I know boxers can get. We got a medicated shampoo and kept their faces/heads ultra clean and kept them from scratching and it would clear up. I've had pitties with food allergies that were very similar to the acne. It's hard to find the cause, short of a full allergy panel. Glad you have something for it that works.

Also, we used plastic food bowls for a while and didnt clean or scrub them as often as we should have, which also likely contributed/exasperated things.

FWIW, I've had 2 rottweilers that got a type of acne that I know boxers can get. We got a medicated shampoo and kept their faces/heads ultra clean and kept them from scratching and it would clear up. I've had pitties with food allergies that were very similar to the acne. It's hard to find the cause, short of a full allergy panel. Glad you have something for it that works.
Actually I don't have something that really works. Can't just keep putting him on steroids, so if anyone has other suggestions...
And have always used stainless steel bowls.

Actually I don't have something that really works. Can't just keep putting him on steroids, so if anyone has other suggestions...

Our Berner had an autoimmune disorder and the steroids were the only thing that helped. But it killed her liver. Unfortunately they just aren’t a long term solution.

Its ultimately an allergy issue. Get a full panel done. If it's not beef or chicken, it's one of the fillers that is in most if not all kibble and treats. Rare occasions it could be environmental allergy, but it almost never is. Could go on a severely limited ingredient diet and see if symptoms clear. Cost me about $500 to get a full panel, found out potato was messing my dog up.

Cocker spaniels all the way. The field bread types. They're smart, loyal and love to please people.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT