ADVERTISEMENT

Totally OT: What's Your Favorite Breed of Dog?

Sadly one of the downsides to a boxer is a short life span

My sweet boy in the avatar almost made it to 10 years. Cancer took him quickly. The sweetest, most thoughtful dog I've every known. Got another one last year...he is 1 year old and is a bundle of energy, laughs, and sweetness. Very different from our first one. Just like kids, they all have their own personality. Boxes rule.

Yeah this entire post literally proved my point. "Oh yeah I guess a measley 285 people have been killed by pitbulls over the years, and yeah they have the most attacks by far, and yeah theyre the most agressive, oh and I guess theyre the strongest by far....but meh most of em never do nothin! Lets just brush everything else aside, its worth all them deaths...and oh yeah bad owners like them because of their history. Ut mine are nice! If you think any of this should lead to negative views of pit bulls, youre an idiot!"

o_O

Serious question...do all pit bulls who attack have bad owners?

Okay, so maybe you don’t understand statistics. The point I was attempting to get across, is that the statistical likelihood of a pit bull attack is so small (plus I was using very conservative numbers), that it is misguided and unfair to claim they are all killers, inherently dangerous, and that owners are selfish to own one. This is true even if they do happen to have a stronger bite than other dogs. It is unfair to ban them from society.

I also provided statistics to illustrate the plight of the American pitbull, with almost half of them ending up in shelters, and not given the chance to live in a healthy environment. They are also more likely to have bad owners. Both of these points illustrate a likelihood that environmental factors play a role in more pitbulls being involved in attacks.

Maybe an analogy might help....African Americans are 5x more likely to be incarcerated than caucasians. They are also much more likely to be raised in a bad environment - poor parents, friends, gangs, drugs, you get the point. However, the large majority of African Americans are great people. Is it fair for us to say that all African American are inherently dangerous, born ready to snap, are killers, and that we should breed them out? Is it fair for us to ban them from cities? We did this before the civil rights movement, and it’s called oppression.

To answer your question, no, not all pitbulls who attack have bad owners. But the same can be said for other breeds. Some dogs, like humans, unfortunately are not “right”. My vet is an example, she was raised with 2 Australian Shepherds who were great dogs. She bought a third one, raised it the same, but it began to snap at her kids, so she had to give it away.

I love dogs, (more than people usually) and was essentially raised by a German Shepherd and have owned quite a few, including my current White Shepherd. I'm about as pro dog as you can get.

If you look at the bell curve statistics for dog bites, there is a normal curve, except for the pit bull. It is literally off the charts in comparison.

I am of the very firm belief that the species should be eradicated.

It's not the dogs fault they were bred to be what they are, that falls on the people that bred them (go figure) but there is no place in society for that loaded gun, which can go off at any time.

Most pit bull owners, don't have anything to their name, no insurance, and in my opinion are completely reckless and irresponsible for choosing an animal such as that as a pet.

Curious what percentage of pit bull attacks were even compensated for the hospital or funeral bills? I doubt very many.

This is why I hate people that own pit bulls. Freaking scumbags in my opinion.

I guess I’m still looking for what the upside is to owning a pit bull, other than that they are supposedly misunderstood. Say I’m going to get a dog and one of them has a .75% chance of attacking a child(possibly my child) and the other has a .5% chance...not to mention the .75% dog does so much more damage when it attacks...how is this even a choice?

Don't even waste your breath. These fools defending the breed will continue to argue their ridiculous case...even after reading indisputable statistics showing they are inherently by far the most dangerous breed.

Edit - You can't make a positive argument out of a breed representing 6.5% of all dog breeds committing over 50% of all dog attacks.

Last edited:
I guess I’m still looking for what the upside is to owning a pit bull, other than that they are supposedly misunderstood. Say I’m going to get a dog and one of them has a .75% chance of attacking a child(possibly my child) and the other has a .5% chance...not to mention the .75% dog does so much more damage when it attacks...how is this even a choice?

This has been stated before, but the upside to owning a pitbull is they are great dogs to have as companions, and provide a lot of pros compared to other similar medium/large dogs. To a responsible pitbull owner, they have owned many other types of dogs before, and they swear by a pitbull, because a pitbull is an incredible dog and is harmless. To be clear, my dog is 1/2 pit and 1/2 lab, so I'm not even entirely sticking up for my own dog, but more the dogs of friends I have, all of the pitbulls I encounter at the dog park, and really just pitbulls in general. I wholeheartedly feel that for pitbulls, it's an environmental issue and not the breed itself.

I'm in no way trying to convince people to own pitbulls. I 1,000% respect the decision of families with kids, or any person to avoid owning a pitbull. I respect and understand that decision.

I DO have a problem with people throwing shade on responsible dog owners who choose to own a pitbull as a pet, when they buy it responsibly, and best case buy it from a reputable breeder and choose to raise it as a puppy. I'm also aware this represents a veeery small portion of pitbull owners today, as most pitbull owners are shit. My argument is that is the problem, and not the breed.

One area I do not agree with is the adoption of rescue pitbulls, as well as other large rescue dogs who have already lived well past their formative years (the first year of a puppies life, with the most important being weeks 8-16) where the background of the dog is unknown. A large amount of these dogs are unfit for most dog owners, should be euthanized, and I'm okay with that.

Again I go back to my original premise: it's not the pitbull who is inherently dangerous, it's the environment our society has created for a large majority of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Don't even waste your breath. These fools defending the breed will continue to argue their ridiculous case...even after reading indisputable statistics showing they are inherently by far the most dangerous breed.

Edit - You can't make a positive argument out of a breed representing 6.5% of all dog breeds committing over 50% of all dog attacks.

First off, thanks for calling me a fool....second, your argument is actually very disputable, but I won't go into it here...

I think you, as well every other anti-Pit Bull poster here, need to look past your Google search of "pitbull attacks per year" and the stats it provides, and actually do your research before you make such a bold statement as the breed should be eliminated entirely and banned from cities (I provided a statement previously on this thread that was probably tl;dr for most). Really look into the amount of Pit Bulls being shuffled into and out of shelters, and what that might tell you about the general population of Pit Bulls in the US, and the horrible situation that most of their breed have found themselves in today.

You could also learn a lot about Pit Bulls by reading "Pit Bull: The Battle over an American Icon" and learning about the history of the Pit Bull, although you probably won't do that because you've already determined from the internet that Pit Bulls are killers. You could also learn a lot about Pit Bulls by spending time at a dog park and meeting with Pit Bulls who come from responsible dog owners, and experiencing for yourself what terrific personalities they have, what great dogs they are. Funny thing is you will likely never meet a bad Pit Bull at a dog park...and you know what bad dog owners never do? Take their dog to a dog park to become socialized.

Last edited:
I love dogs, (more than people usually) and was essentially raised by a German Shepherd and have owned quite a few, including my current White Shepherd. I'm about as pro dog as you can get.

If you look at the bell curve statistics for dog bites, there is a normal curve, except for the pit bull. It is literally off the charts in comparison.

I am of the very firm belief that the species should be eradicated.

It's not the dogs fault they were bred to be what they are, that falls on the people that bred them (go figure) but there is no place in society for that loaded gun, which can go off at any time.

Most pit bull owners, don't have anything to their name, no insurance, and in my opinion are completely reckless and irresponsible for choosing an animal such as that as a pet.

Curious what percentage of pit bull attacks were even compensated for the hospital or funeral bills? I doubt very many.

This is why I hate people that own pit bulls. Freaking scumbags in my opinion.

If you look at the bell shaped curve of humans, most fall into the middle who believe everything they want to hear, and don't think critically for themselves. They tend to lean towards their own affiliations as opposed to critically researching subjects they feel strongly about; in most cases they don't feel strongly about anything, so they just go with the flow.

Curious what percentage of people fully research a subject as serious as the genocide of a race of dogs, before they make a strong claim towards their opinions on the subject.

That is why I hate stupid people. Freaking scumbags.

Last edited:
People who legislate out of fear are ignorant scum bags. I own the breed and likely have a higher income than racist scumbag Hoosker. This isn't the place to try to educate dirt scratch farmers that get their education from the news. Sheltered and ignorant to blanket an entire breed as well as all the owners of said breed. Small minded stupidity like that is how racism perpetuates. Worthless scum

First off, thanks for calling me a fool....second, your argument is actually very disputable, but I won't go into it here...

I think you, as well every other anti-Pit Bull poster here, need to look past your Google search of "pitbull attacks per year" and the stats it provides, and actually do your research before you make such a bold statement as the breed should be eliminated entirely and banned from cities (I provided a statement previously on this thread that was probably tl;dr for most). Really look into the amount of Pit Bulls being shuffled into and out of shelters, and what that might tell you about the general population of Pit Bulls in the US, and the horrible situation that most of their breed have found themselves in today.

You could also learn a lot about Pit Bulls by reading "Pit Bull: The Battle over an American Icon" and learning about the history of the Pit Bull, although you probably won't do that because you've already determined from the internet that Pit Bulls are killers. You could also learn a lot about Pit Bulls by spending time at a dog park and meeting with Pit Bulls who come from responsible dog owners, and experiencing for yourself what terrific personalities they have, what great dogs they are. Funny thing is you will likely never meet a bad Pit Bull at a dog park...and you know what bad dog owners never do? Take their dog to a dog park to become socialized.

True story...here in Omaha pits at the dog park (the one close to my house) have to have a muzzle on...I was at the dog park one time and a lady came there with her pit and it had the muzzle on...she started telling other people how it was the "law" and her pit had to have the muzzle on while at the dog park...one guy there said "my friend works for the news, I am going to text her and let her know about this story, this isn't right" and a few other dog lovers were nodding their heads in agreement.

The lady then asked "Do you mind if I take his muzzle off, I just don't think it is fair" and of course, all of us (including myself) nodded that it was okay (the first thing I thought, was...here we go!)

She took the muzzle off and the dog ran to go play...within 15 seconds it was fighting.

I was literally texting my friend play by play of all of this because we all knew how it would go down.

Look, everyone knows they are not all bad...but again, every single tragic pit story starts off like every single "killer next door" story..."They were so nice, they were polite, they kept to themselves, never seemed like they would hurt a fly.

True story...here in Omaha pits at the dog park (the one close to my house) have to have a muzzle on...I was at the dog park one time and a lady came there with her pit and it had the muzzle on...she started telling other people how it was the "law" and her pit had to have the muzzle on while at the dog park...one guy there said "my friend works for the news, I am going to text her and let her know about this story, this isn't right" and a few other dog lovers were nodding their heads in agreement.

The lady then asked "Do you mind if I take his muzzle off, I just don't think it is fair" and of course, all of us (including myself) nodded that it was okay (the first thing I thought, was...here we go!)

She took the muzzle off and the dog ran to go play...within 15 seconds it was fighting.

I was literally texting my friend play by play of all of this because we all knew how it would go down.

Look, everyone knows they are not all bad...but again, every single tragic pit story starts off like every single "killer next door" story..."They were so nice, they were polite, they kept to themselves, never seemed like they would hurt a fly.
Nice story.

Reactions: dsmalls3
German Shepherd. Seems like she had a 20 word vocabulary and understood voice commands at the first try. Fearless breed who will do anything to protect their family and perceived pack members. She took it upon herself to 'adopt' the 2 little girls next door and would watch over them like a hawk whenever they were outside playing.

People who legislate out of fear are ignorant scum bags. I own the breed and likely have a higher income than racist scumbag Hoosker. This isn't the place to try to educate dirt scratch farmers that get their education from the news. Sheltered and ignorant to blanket an entire breed as well as all the owners of said breed. Small minded stupidity like that is how racism perpetuates. Worthless scum

Ignorant was a great word to use. Go count your millions, pet your pits and have a look in the mirror. Dipsh1t.

Okay, so maybe you don’t understand statistics. The point I was attempting to get across, is that the statistical likelihood of a pit bull attack is so small (plus I was using very conservative numbers), that it is misguided and unfair to claim they are all killers, inherently dangerous, and that owners are selfish to own one. This is true even if they do happen to have a stronger bite than other dogs. It is unfair to ban them from society.

I also provided statistics to illustrate the plight of the American pitbull, with almost half of them ending up in shelters, and not given the chance to live in a healthy environment. They are also more likely to have bad owners. Both of these points illustrate a likelihood that environmental factors play a role in more pitbulls being involved in attacks.

Maybe an analogy might help....African Americans are 5x more likely to be incarcerated than caucasians. They are also much more likely to be raised in a bad environment - poor parents, friends, gangs, drugs, you get the point. However, the large majority of African Americans are great people. Is it fair for us to say that all African American are inherently dangerous, born ready to snap, are killers, and that we should breed them out? Is it fair for us to ban them from cities? We did this before the civil rights movement, and it’s called oppression.

To answer your question, no, not all pitbulls who attack have bad owners. But the same can be said for other breeds. Some dogs, like humans, unfortunately are not “right”. My vet is an example, she was raised with 2 Australian Shepherds who were great dogs. She bought a third one, raised it the same, but it began to snap at her kids, so she had to give it away.

humans and dogs are no where near equal, so your analogy is moot.

Youre trying to rationalize owning pit bulls by saying other dogs bite too. Well of course they do, but the difference is the frequency, severity, and deadliness.
Pit bulls are dangerous and should be weeded out.
Owners of them are in fact selfish, knowing their history, especially with kids. I asked you that question because its most certainly not all "bad" owners who have pit bulls freak out, although pit bull owners in general have a screw loose in the first place for even wanting one

I do not, and will not, understand why people have to own pit bulls when there are hundreds of breeds out there who can provide the exact companionship. Anyone who lives with or around kids, family or neighbors, is selfish to own one and is simply rolling the dice with a deadly animal.
I have zero sympathy for you or your brutus, spike, or whatever. Its not worth the numerous horrific stories regarding pit bulls just to not hurt your feelings.
Youre not changing my mind and I guess I aint changing yours, but deep down you know Im right and your rash defensiveness is telling. Some of your own points in this thread contradict your view.
Bye

Curious where you anti pit guys stand with guns.
Guns cannot act voluntarily on their own, while pit bulls can.
If thats not enouh for you, theres an amendment to the constitution guaranteeing your right to own a gun, while there is none guaranteeing your right to own a pit bull.

so theres another moot point.

Reactions: SC_'sker
Rather angry and defensive. You sure youre ok in the head?

Reactions: Hoosker Du
This has been stated before, but the upside to owning a pitbull is they are great dogs to have as companions, and provide a lot of pros compared to other similar medium/large dogs. To a responsible pitbull owner, they have owned many other types of dogs before, and they swear by a pitbull, because a pitbull is an incredible dog and is harmless. To be clear, my dog is 1/2 pit and 1/2 lab, so I'm not even entirely sticking up for my own dog, but more the dogs of friends I have, all of the pitbulls I encounter at the dog park, and really just pitbulls in general. I wholeheartedly feel that for pitbulls, it's an environmental issue and not the breed itself.

I'm in no way trying to convince people to own pitbulls. I 1,000% respect the decision of families with kids, or any person to avoid owning a pitbull. I respect and understand that decision.

I DO have a problem with people throwing shade on responsible dog owners who choose to own a pitbull as a pet, when they buy it responsibly, and best case buy it from a reputable breeder and choose to raise it as a puppy. I'm also aware this represents a veeery small portion of pitbull owners today, as most pitbull owners are shit. My argument is that is the problem, and not the breed.

One area I do not agree with is the adoption of rescue pitbulls, as well as other large rescue dogs who have already lived well past their formative years (the first year of a puppies life, with the most important being weeks 8-16) where the background of the dog is unknown. A large amount of these dogs are unfit for most dog owners, should be euthanized, and I'm okay with that.

Again I go back to my original premise: it's not the pitbull who is inherently dangerous, it's the environment our society has created for a large majority of them.
while your enviroment thing isnt wrong, this is just false. Pitbulls literally are inherently dangerous.

Reactions: SC_'sker
If you look at the bell shaped curve of humans, most fall into the middle who believe everything they want to hear, and don't think critically for themselves. They tend to lean towards their own affiliations as opposed to critically researching subjects they feel strongly about; in most cases they don't feel strongly about anything, so they just go with the flow.

Curious what percentage of people fully research a subject as serious as the genocide of a race of dogs, before they make a strong claim towards their opinions on the subject.

That is why I hate stupid people. Freaking scumbags.
Knock it off.
Your tactic so to basically belittle us and call us stupid, idiots, and ignortant.
Well Ive done plenty of research on pits, and sorry but just because theres some nice ones Im not going to simply ignore all the horrible, awful shit theyve done. Hope you never see a kid you know get attacked by one and their face afterwards, I truly hope you dont. Sorry but pit bulls have the reputation they have for a reason. Why do you think bad owners like them? Reputation.

Stop the know it all, sanctimonious b.s. None of your information tales anything pit bulls have done away.

Racist? Because I don't trust a dog breed? RollingLaugh Congratulations...Stupid Post of the Month is now on your mantle. What a dope..

Racist? Because I don't trust a dog breed? RollingLaugh Congratulations...Stupid Post of the Month is now on your mantle. What a dope..
I meant to direct that towards nikkisix with his assumptions as to what financial/societal ranking one holds in relation to the breed of dog they own. Also his tendency to generalize and fear what he doesnt understand is the same type of thought process behind most hate/racism/discrimination. So my bad hoosker!

https://www.caninejournal.com/dog-bite-statistics/
Interesting article on bite statistics. I feel people can own whatever dog they want. All dogs can be dangerous if not properly trained and cared for. Yes some are genetically inclined to be more aggressive than others. Me personally, having young kids we went with a dog who was known to be great with children.

Oh, I understand all right.

There is a reason wealthy people tend not to own an animal like that.. they don't want to be sued for everything they own. It is usually only people with nothing to lose, that will own an animal like that.

If you have some wealth, and own a dog like that, well I'd say that qualifies for being in the not too bright camp.

And then there is the other side, the risk you present to others around you. Your neighbors, their kids, their pets. Or I guess you don't care about these things and only care about yourself. Why should society give any concern for you when you show it the same selfishness?

It's all about you and your rights isn't it? Instead of having logical arguments to back up your views, you stand on racism and discrimination, which are not even applicable in this thread.

You really don't get it, I'm sorry to say.
You're hip on what dogs wealthy people own huh? You referred to pitbulls as a species, they are a breed bud. Both of my dogs are registered K9 good citizens and have proven time and again they are of safe and predictable temperament. At the end of the day, you want a breed eliminated because you believe they are inherently wired to lash out and kill. Lots of people claim their dogs are trained and well behaved. I know mine are. Years of training and tons of socialization and real world experience have allowed them to be as safe as any dog out there. I also know I could achieve the same positive results with any breed of dog. Keep letting others create your opinions for you.

You're hip on what dogs wealthy people own huh? You referred to pitbulls as a species, they are a breed bud. Both of my dogs are registered K9 good citizens and have proven time and again they are of safe and predictable temperament. At the end of the day, you want a breed eliminated because you believe they are inherently wired to lash out and kill. Lots of people claim their dogs are trained and well behaved. I know mine are. Years of training and tons of socialization and real world experience have allowed them to be as safe as any dog out there. I also know I could achieve the same positive results with any breed of dog. Keep letting others create your opinions for you.

While I totally believe you have done a great job with them, the second you think any animal (even humans, but especially dogs, cats, snakes, spiders) have predictable temperament, you have made a mistake...hopefully it will never be a big mistake

Border Collie. Case closed. Lol

Seriously, mine is amazing. Herds sheep and yet is great indoors too. Affectionate as hell. Great with kids and strangers.

The only negative is that he sheds like a circus hooker

Reactions: dsmalls3
Oh, I understand all right.

There is a reason wealthy people tend not to own an animal like that.. they don't want to be sued for everything they own. It is usually only people with nothing to lose, that will own an animal like that.

If you have some wealth, and own a dog like that, well I'd say that qualifies for being in the not too bright camp.

And then there is the other side, the risk you present to others around you. Your neighbors, their kids, their pets. Or I guess you don't care about these things and only care about yourself. Why should society give any concern for you when you show it the same selfishness?

It's all about you and your rights isn't it? Instead of having logical arguments to back up your views, you stand on racism and discrimination, which are not even applicable in this thread.

You really don't get it, I'm sorry to say.

Your statements make it pretty obvious you have never had affiliation with anybody wealthy, or even anybody in the top 2% of income ($200,000+).

People in that demographic are typically smart, and will only make decisions if it is based on sound logic. If they decide to own a pitbull type dog, it’s because they’ve done their own due diligence and know they risk basically nothing to themselves, their wealth, or those they care about by owning a pitbull type dog. They would realize through statistics and thorough research that if they choose to own a pitbull type dog, they would run basically the same risk (almost zero risk) if they choose another dog breed which has historically shown up in the DBRF category. They would also train their dog well, or pay somebody to train it.

Last edited:
while your enviroment thing isnt wrong, this is just false. Pitbulls literally are inherently dangerous.

All dogs are inherently dangerous. They are descendants of wolves.

Care to share with us any research showing why pitbulls are more inherently dangerous than others?

If your answer is that you hear about pitbull attacks in the news more than other breeds, then that is an incorrect answer.

Knock it off.
Your tactic so to basically belittle us and call us stupid, idiots, and ignortant.
Well Ive done plenty of research on pits, and sorry but just because theres some nice ones Im not going to simply ignore all the horrible, awful shit theyve done. Hope you never see a kid you know get attacked by one and their face afterwards, I truly hope you dont. Sorry but pit bulls have the reputation they have for a reason. Why do you think bad owners like them? Reputation.

Stop the know it all, sanctimonious b.s. None of your information tales anything pit bulls have done away.

If you didn’t notice, the poster called me a scumbag....

I hope I never see a child mauled by a pitbull either, and if you have I understand why you must hate them. It’s a horrible thing.

If that kid was mauled by a Rottweiler, husky, German Shepard, Lab, or any other dog, would you claim they should be eliminated too? Bc this has happened numerous times with each breed.

The pitbull’s reputation goes much deeper than bad owners wanting them bc they are “inherently” dangerous. Part of it is they want them bc they are “perceived” as dangerous in our society, and since 1970s have been portrayed this way in the media. Thus more bad owners own them, more attacks happen, and the bad “reputation” continues to build upon itself.

Explain this: from the early 1900s to around 1970s, the perception of the pitbull in our society was as “America’s Dog”. It was brave, friendly, loyal, and was the dog for the socially elite, including the president at one point. It was the same breed as the pitbull today. What has changed to make today’s pitbull a killer?

If you didn’t notice, the poster called me a scumbag....

I hope I never see a child mauled by a pitbull either, and if you have I understand why you must hate them. It’s a horrible thing.

If that kid was mauled by a Rottweiler, husky, German Shepard, Lab, or any other dog, would you claim they should be eliminated too? Bc this has happened numerous times with each breed.

The pitbull’s reputation goes much deeper than bad owners wanting them bc they are “inherently” dangerous. Part of it is they want them bc they are “perceived” as dangerous in our society, and since 1970s have been portrayed this way in the media. Thus more bad owners own them, more attacks happen, and the bad “reputation” continues to build upon itself.

Explain this: from the early 1900s to around 1970s, the perception of the pitbull in our society was as “America’s Dog”. It was brave, friendly, loyal, and was the dog for the socially elite, including the president at one point. It was the same breed as the pitbull today. What has changed to make today’s pitbull a killer?

Ummm, that it started killing lil kids? Just spitballing here.

All dogs are inherently dangerous. They are descendants of wolves.

Care to share with us any research showing why pitbulls are more inherently dangerous than others?

If your answer is that you hear about pitbull attacks in the news more than other breeds, then that is an incorrect answer.
Bro, trust me, we all get what you are saying...

but a bite from a toy breed isn't usually the same as a pit.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT