ADVERTISEMENT

Totally OT: What's Your Favorite Breed of Dog?

My first wife decide we needed a dog shortly after we got married. I wasn’t sold on the idea, but gave in and fell in love with our cocker spaniel.We soon got a second one. Eleven years later I still have the dogs!

But you’re much happier now because of it.Winking

Reactions: LightningJack
The problem now is that the Pit Bull and Pit Bull mixes have replaced Labs as the number one dog in animal shelters. To say that many Pit owners are irresponsible is an understatement. I've seen some VERY nice pit bull mixes but as a rule they aren't trustworthy family pets.

Many are often misidentified dogs yet the actual apbt shoulders all the blame. People don’t seem to understand the problems with the breed so they assume that the bloodline is the problem rather than the asshole who completly screwed up a bloodline by way of poor breeding habits. Pitbulls are often bred for color and certain physical traits. They use methods like inbreeding to bring out these traits and in turn you end up with a cool looking dog with physical and mental problems.

The American Bully is a fine example of this. They are most often called pitbulls yet they’re not an apbt. They sure look pretty and will win some awards at shows but at the end of the day these dogs have some serious health issues ranging from skin, bone, respiratory and temperament issues.

To make a long story short the breed is not reaponsible for temperament problems that some jackass brought about in his backyard so he can produce a pretty dog to sell. It’s a very common theme with certain dog breeds. Poor breeding habits leads to poor results.

Many are often misidentified dogs yet the actual apbt shoulders all the blame. People don’t seem to understand the problems with the breed so they assume that the bloodline is the problem rather than the asshole who completly screwed up a bloodline by way of poor breeding habits. Pitbulls are often bred for color and certain physical traits. They use methods like inbreeding to bring out these traits and in turn you end up with a cool looking dog with physical and mental problems.

The American Bully is a fine example of this. They are most often called pitbulls yet they’re not an apbt. They sure look pretty and will win some awards at shows but at the end of the day these dogs have some serious health issues ranging from skin, bone, respiratory and temperament issues.

To make a long story short the breed is not reaponsible for temperament problems that some jackass brought about in his backyard so he can produce a pretty dog to sell. It’s a very common theme with certain dog breeds. Poor breeding habits leads to poor results.

Which has nothing to do with anything. Obviously, a freakin’ dog has no control over its breeding and also its psyche. It’s a damn dog.

I know you aren’t necessarily defending the tough-guy owners of these animals, but you might as well say that a landmine isn’t at fault for blowing someone up.

Which has nothing to do with anything. Obviously, a freakin’ dog has no control over its breeding and also its psyche. It’s a damn dog.

I know you aren’t necessarily defending the tough-guy owners of these animals, but you might as well say that a landmine isn’t at fault for blowing someone up.

These problems you guys think is a breed standard don’t exist in quality breeding circles and theres a reason for it. The dogs were bred for health and function so you don’t see the same temperament issues that comes along with the backyard breeder dogs. People that shouldn’t even own a dog have no business breeding them because they don’t know what they’re doing and the animal suffers in return. I would never support the irresponsible owners out there because they are the problem with any dog.

I have 2 Hungarian Vizslas 4 and 2 years. They are great dogs. If they are not out hunting they are on our laps.

Reactions: bmb81664
Strike a nerve?o_O
Does Brutus have a studded or spike collar and chain?

Pit bulls are monsters and people owning them are selfish.
Go look up pictures of kids, there are numerous, attacked by these animals and each time the owners just shocked at how their wonderful, loving gentle beast acted out.

Given their history and with all the varieties of dogs out there, there is literally zero reason to own pit bulls, other than to be "hard", "tough" rebellious or contrarian.

There is a special bond between a man and his hunting dog. My previous Brittany I got as a puppy. She died five years ago at 15 years of age. Losing her broke my heart. She is my avatar picture. Two weeks after her death I received a call about a 7 year old Brittany needing to be rescued. I picked her up at the shelter to foster her and she quickly stole our hearts. I believe she was sent to us by my previous dog. She is 12 now, has bad hips and I can't imagine life without her.
You're killing me. In a good way.

Reactions: LightningJack
Strike a nerve?o_O

Go look up pictures of kids, there are numerous, attacked by these animals and each time the owners just shocked at how their wonderful, loving gentle beast acted out.

Given their history and with all the varieties of dogs out there, there is literally zero reason to own pit bulls, other than to be "hard", "tough" rebellious or contrarian.
It's funny, labs are responsible for the highest number of attacks on children. You just don't understand that the owner dictates the way the dog behaves. People like you just perpetuate the dissemination of bullshit that gives an amazing breed a bad name. If you let your chihuahua turn into a p.o.s it doesn't make the news. Pit bulls just have a greater potential to do damage should you not take care of them correctly. I've never owned one to be "tough". That is just retarded.

Reactions: dsmalls3
There is zero reason to own pitbulls other than look "tough". Zero. Reason.

You’re an idiot. I own a pit bull mixed puppy, might be full pit, who we rescued at 2 months and my reason was to save him from euthanizing, and we could tell when we met him he was a an extremely loving, gentle dog.

He’s confident, but he’s also consistently the friendliest, well mannered dog at the dog park, and so are a few other Pits that go regularly.Pit bulls are also huge companion dogs, want to stick by your side all the the time (great for a hiking dog, they won’t run off like other breeds) and want to be please you. He’s great with kids too. They are extremely smart and he was house trained in a couple of weeks. So I can think of many reasons why somebody would want to own a pit bull outside of looking “tough” and I know a large amount of people who are owners and swear by them.

In the hands of an idiot owner who doesn’t understand the importance of training and socialization, or how to provided this for your dog, any dog breed can be a bad dog. Unfortunately bc pitbulls can look intimidating, they tend to attract this type of owner, which is a shame. A well trained and socialized pitbull is a fantastic dog.

Last edited:
You’re an idiot. I own a pit bull mixed puppy, might be full pit, who we rescued at 2 months and my reason was to save him from euthanizing, and we could tell when we met him he was a an extremely loving, gentle dog.

He’s confident, but he’s also consistently the friendliest, well mannered dog at the dog park, and so are a few other Pits that go regularly.Pit bulls are also huge companion dogs, want to stick by your side all the the time (great for a hiking dog, they won’t run off like other breeds) and want to be please you. He’s great with kids too. They are extremely smart and he was house trained in a couple of weeks. So I can think of many reasons why somebody would want to own a pit bull outside of looking “tough” and I know a large amount of people who are owners and swear by them.

In the hands of an idiot owner who does understand the importance of training and socialization, any dog breed can be a bad dog. Unfortunately bc pitbulls can look intimidating, they tend to attract this type of owner, which is a shame. A well trained and socialized pitbull is a fantastic dog.

So go drink bleach and stop staying stupid things.
Haha so defensive, cant handle the truth. Pit bulls are killers and need to be eliminated. Talk to a parent of a kid who was mauled by one sometime. There are cute friendly breeds that dont kill people out there.

It's funny, labs are responsible for the highest number of attacks on children. You just don't understand that the owner dictates the way the dog behaves. People like you just perpetuate the dissemination of bullshit that gives an amazing breed a bad name. If you let your chihuahua turn into a p.o.s it doesn't make the news. Pit bulls just have a greater potential to do damage should you not take care of them correctly. I've never owned one to be "tough". That is just retarded.
That is the only reason to own one, and every single pit bull owner i have seen owns them because they look cool and big and mean, and rough and stuff.
Youre no different, I guarantee.
There are numerous breeds you can own to fill all your needs that dont kill people.

Reactions: SC_'sker
That is the only reason to own one, and every single pit bull owner i have seen owns them because they look cool and big and mean, and rough and stuff.
There are numerous breeds you can own to fill all your needs that dont kill people.
I think you're just ignorant and intimidated. You've probably never met one. Go argue with your mom bud. Thanks.

Reactions: dsmalls3

In the hands of an idiot owner who doesn’t understand the importance of training and socialization, or how to provided this for your dog, any dog breed can be a bad dog. Unfortunately bc pitbulls can look intimidating, they tend to attract this type of owner, which is a shame. A well trained and socialized pitbull is a fantastic dog.

“Stick around by their side”...Lol what dogs doesn’t want to stick by their masters side...

Ya tell that too the people in Omaha who had 2 pitbulls roam in their yard and then killed their treasured Chihuahua...

Not saying all of you that have them are bad owners but the majority of them are...

I know numerous people who own pit bulls, who are affluent, professional and the farthest from wanting to look cool or mean. In fact, many of them are women.

You are making your argument in a vacuum, which by definition makes you sound stupid. You really think that a pitbull is the only dog capable of mauling a child?

“Stick around by their side”...Lol what dogs doesn’t want to stick by their masters side...

Ya tell that too the people in Omaha who had 2 pitbulls roam in their yard and then killed their treasured Chihuahua...

Not saying all of you that have them are bad owners but the majority of them are...
That's the problem, and it isn't fair to the dog to make a blanket statement about them. At their best, pitbulls are one of the most caring and gentle breeds out there. At their worst, really frigging dangerous. But it always comes down to their owners and how they treat them. German Shepards, Dobermans, and rotts can all be extremely dangerous if they are owned by the wrong person. By the right person any one of them can be great companions.

That's the problem, and it isn't fair to the dog to make a blanket statement about them. At their best, pitbulls are one of the most caring and gentle breeds out there. At their worst, really frigging dangerous. But it always comes down to their owners and how they treat them. German Shepards, Dobermans, and rotts can all be extremely dangerous if they are owned by the wrong person. By the right person any one of them can be great companions.
Oh no...

I know numerous people who own pit bulls, who are affluent, professional and the farthest from wanting to look cool or mean. In fact, many of them are women.

You are making your argument in a vacuum, which by definition makes you sound stupid. You really think that a pitbull is the only dog capable of mauling a child?

Come on man, you understand what he is saying.

Also, you don't know numerous rich professionals that own pits...you just don't...I am guessing you know...5, tops.

Why try and defend it? If you own a pit, great...but every horrible pit story starts the same way...

"Mine is the sweetest, nicest and most loyal pit ever...until it ate my cousins 4 kids."

A beagle, of which I raised and owned two. Fantastic dogs, but if they caught a smell of a rabbit, etc. they are running off and not going to listen to your recall.

So you hear one story of pitbulls in the news, and they are all bad. K.

Dogs gonna dog. There was always only room for one top dog in my house. Boz knew that, that was why he never put up with any shit from dogs. A friend made the mistake of putting his dog(who I knew) in my house while I was out for a few, and then he went next door to a friends. When I came home Boz had him in the closet and was laying into him. Poor cries of a scared and bloody dog startled me. That dog bared those scars for the rest of his life and my friend never brought him inside again.

Love our Schnoodle, amazing dog. Has puts up with anything the kids throw at her. The other plus, no shedding.

All dogs!
I had goldens and labs growing up and they were great but NOTHING compares to my German Shepherd!

I got attacked by a German Shepherd when I was a young kid. Wasn't doing anything at all. Just playing with other kids. He bit me behind the ear. Although they are beautiful dogs, I've never forgotten that adventure, and would probably opt for other dogs before a GS.

There is zero reason to own pitbulls other than look "tough". Zero. Reason.

I would never own one. I know there are some that are great dogs, but pits and rots represent app. 65-70% of all dog attacks, and the vast majority of human deaths due to dog attacks.

I think that they as breeds have a screw loose to begin with. Not all pit and rot owners can be that terrible as dog owners that just 2 breeds can be responsible for that many attacks.

Strike a nerve?o_O

You and @PeliniTheCrutch sound like you both have had personal experiences with pitbull attacks? If so, I’m sorry for that, but it’s just as likely to have happened with many other dog breeds - German Shepards, Huskies, Rottweiler, Doberman, Labs, etc.

You mention their “history” which is ironic, as the APBT was considered America’s Mascot up until about the 1970s, when a bunch of different factors began to tarnish its reputation to the point it is today.

You are basically saying that due to the inherent nature of pit bulls as “killers”, a dog owner is selfish to own one? Have you ever considered the fact there are a multitude of factors outside of the dogs natural disposition, which is the reason you hear so many stories of pitbull attacks? Or do you just read stuff on the news and take it as fact?

You and @PeliniTheCrutch sound like you both have had personal experiences with pitbull attacks? If so, I’m sorry for that, but it’s just as likely to have happened with many other dog breeds - German Shepards, Huskies, Rottweiler, Doberman, Labs, etc.

You mention their “history” which is ironic, as the APBT was considered America’s Mascot up until about the 1970s, when a bunch of different factors began to tarnish its reputation to the point it is today.

You are basically saying that due to the inherent nature of pit bulls as “killers”, a dog owner is selfish to own one? Have you ever considered the fact there are a multitude of factors outside of the dogs natural disposition, which is the reason you hear so many stories of pitbull attacks? Or do you just read stuff on the news and take it as fact?

I don't believe everything I read about Mountain Lions, Wolves or Crips...but I don't want any of them in my house.

A few days ago I was walking down my driveway to check my mail. The neighbor across the street and his wife have a pit. They were were visiting in the yard with their neighbor next door and his wife and another neighbor. They all had their dogs out sitting with them, about 5, without leashes. As I'm headed to the mailbox we wave at each other, and suddenly the pit bull (and none of the other dogs) charges across the street at me growling. They yell at him, but he doesn't stop. I've always been around dogs, so I just stopped an started saying "no, no" to him and waved him to the side, and he finally curved off to the side. But I can imagine what will happen one day when he goes after one of the kids walking home from the local elementary school and they run. They're too unstable and dangerous to be household pets. They ought to breed out of existence, IMHO.

our neighbors had a german shepherd and it shredded their daughters face years ago.
one of the fireman who showed up on the scene, later came by to check out how they were all doing.
he told them not to get a dog they cant throw.
i dont think he meant throw your dog around, but consider that they are animals and get what you can control.

(btw-thank god for the fireman and policemen that showed up. some took care of mom and other kids, while paramedics attended to the injured one. someone took the dog and some cleaned the house. it was a blood letting from what i understand.)

also, an elderly woman was decapitated by two pits in nw okc a few years ago.
horrific!

Reactions: huskerfan1414
A few days ago I was walking down my driveway to check my mail. The neighbor across the street and his wife have a pit. They were were visiting in the yard with their neighbor next door and his wife and another neighbor. They all had their dogs out sitting with them, about 5, without leashes. As I'm headed to the mailbox we wave at each other, and suddenly the pit bull (and none of the other dogs) charges across the street at me growling. They yell at him, but he doesn't stop. I've always been around dogs, so I just stopped an started saying "no, no" to him and waved him to the side, and he finally curved off to the side. But I can imagine what will happen one day when he goes after one of the kids walking home from the local elementary school and they run. They're too unstable and dangerous to be household pets. They ought to breed out of existence, IMHO.

Here is the thing...no one can give a "good reason" for wanting one...

The BEST reason they come up with is something like "Oh, no one else wanted him and he is so sweet" Oh okay...Not really a great reason.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Here is the thing...no one can give a "good reason" for wanting one...

The BEST reason they come up with is something like "Oh, no one else wanted him and he is so sweet" Oh okay...Not really a great reason.
Companionship dipshit. Same reason for getting most breeds. Hardly anyone uses a dog for what it was bred to do. Again, labs are retrievers but lazy ass people buy them and dont work them, so they get pent up and dig holes, chew shit up, you name it. And they lead the nation in bites on children.

ADVERTISEMENT