ADVERTISEMENT

Totally OT: What's Your Favorite Breed of Dog?

Definitely a lab. I have what we think is a labrabull now (lab+pitbull mix), and he is pretty awesome. If he is full pitbull, then I'd actually go with a pitbull. He's such a smart, loving, cuddly, and friendly goofball. He does have an attitude and is pretty fiesty as a puppy, but he is extremely sweet to other dogs, humans and children. Pitbulls get a bad wrap, and I hate it.

I'm 100% convinced there is no such thing as a bad dog breed, just bad dog owners. I see this played out a lot at the dog park.

Bad breeding habits which is common for several breeds of dogs is a huge problem for their image. Breeding for color, etc. like they do for all those backyard pitbulls in the world risks their health and temperament. This isn’t an issue for quality bred dogs. The bulldog is similar with how they’ve been bred through the years. The dog looking cool and pretty mattered most and the current result is a dog that is prone to a lot of health issues.

i like big dogs, but dont want to pick up after them.
you can just mow the small variety’s waste.

Reactions: Hugo_Stiglitz7
Since football news is going to be very sparse for a while, let's try a OT question. What's your favorite breed of dog?

Mine simply is a German Shepherd.
If i had a choice and the money to allow for it...

I'd raise a Malamute!

Beautiful dogs...
4_sc.png

I've always love boxers, my aunt and uncle out in Omaha had them when I was growing up and they were the best. Sad thing is, like many pure breeds they have their fair share of health problems usually.

I've really started to like schnauzers lately. Coincidentally, my sister-in-law and brother-in-law (both of whom are vets) are starting to breed miniature schnauzers soon, though if/when we get one I don't want a miniature.

all that I've had over the years: each one special:
Puli (hungarian sheep dog)
weinmaraner (called her Marlene Dietrich)
mixed (this guy, named Husker, was combo of pit bull, sharpei, black lab and great dane (the tail)
now this was a one of a kind...
present one is a Podengo....a portugese rabbit hound (the smallest of the above: max. 15 lbs. -
thinks he's a lion.
Point is I love all dogs. We'd be lessers without them...

Reactions: tdierberger
I kinda prefer 2 breed dogs. I've seen some gorgeous dobie/lab and german shepherd/lab mixes. Pretty much anything you can breed with a lab. Having said that, I havent owned a dog in many many years, and after the last of my kids die, I wont be going back.

I love dogs. The female Cocker spaniel my parents bought months before I was born and died of natural causes when I was 13 is buried in a shady grove of cottonwoods along the Republican River.

As an adult I have had bird dogs. Started out with Brittanies and moved to Setters. I had two male Brittanies that I hunted extensively in 5 states and shot 8 species of upland gamebirds over them. I was much younger and we would hunt all day. I was living in Seattle then and could hardly wait to get out to the country. Starting every October I kept a travel trailer in a mint farmer's equipment shed in the Ag lands of the Yakima Indian Reservation. I took every Friday off during pheasant season. Those three day weekends were wonderful. We also hunted every late November in Nebraska. Many years we would stay at the Big Red Motel in Laurel, Nebraska. It wasn't fancy, but they were nice to us hunters and let us keep our dogs in the rooms.

I then moved to English Setters. I had one bad dog. He kept me waiting at the truck until 7-8 pm many nights. Simply would not stop hunting for himself. He would be gone for hours. He was my biggest failure. Just could not get over the hump with him. He was killed by a car one day in early January when we were hunting chukar in the snow along the Columbia river. He was hunting on his own way too far away from me. His successor was as just the opposite. Maybe the perfect dog. Held birds so well I quit changing to heavy 4 or 5 shot shells when I thought pheasants were around. Just left in the light quail loads that I already had in my trusty Beretta 20 gauge OU. He had birds nailed. I had the last rooster he pointed for me mounted shortly after his death.

My last two dogs have been Llewellin Setters. I lost the first one and a great dog this past December to cancer. He had been my best friend for the past 12 years. I could write a book just on our adventures. My wife always said he had a higher standing in the family than even her.

His kennel mate, our 12 year old female black lab has been as good as a dog can be. She's loves everybody and everybody loves her. Don't sell her short in the field. Could not cover as much ground as her best friend, the Llewellin setter, but every bit as birdy. Hands down the easiest dog I ever trained. (My wife won't let me hunt her anymore. says she is too old. I think she could still tromp around little corners of circles).

Late this April I was connected to a three year old Llewellin male who needed a new home. I was looking at pups and he and I just kind of found each other. I think he is going to be a tremendous dog. I am anxious for September. Birds and Huskers.

(Someone requested paragraphs. Not sure it makes a different but here it is in an edited version)

Last edited:
I love dogs. The female Cocker spaniel my parents bought months before I was born and died of natural causes when I was 13 is buried in a shady grove of cottonwoods along the Republican River. As an adult I have had bird dogs. Started out with Brittanies and moved to Setters. I had two male Brittanies that I hunted extensively in 5 states and shot 8 species of upland gamebirds over them. I was much younger and we would hunt all day. I was living in Seattle then and could hardly wait to get out to the country. Starting every October I kept a travel trailer in a mint farmer's equipment shed in the Ag lands of the Yakima Indian Reservation. I took every Friday off during pheasant season. Those three day weekends were wonderful. We also hunted every late November in Nebraska. Many years we would stay at the Big Red Motel in Laurel, Nebraska. It wasn't fancy, but they were nice to us hunters and let us keep our dogs in the rooms. I then moved to English Setters. I had one bad dog. He kept me waiting at the truck until 7-8 pm many nights. Simply would not stop hunting for himself. He would be gone for hours. He was my biggest failure. Just could not get over the hump with him. He was killed by a car one day in early January when we were hunting chukar in the snow along the Columbia river. He was hunting on his own way too far away from me. His successor was as just the opposite. Maybe the perfect dog. Held birds so well I quit changing to heavy 4 or 5 shot shells when I thought pheasants were around. Just left in the light quail loads that I already had in my trusty Beretta 20 gauge OU. He had birds nailed. I had the last rooster he pointed for me mounted shortly after his death. My last two dogs have been Llewellin Setters. I lost the first one and a great dog this past December to cancer. He had been my best friend for the past 12 years. I could write a book just on our adventures. My wife always said he had a higher standing in the family than even her. His kennel mate, our 12 year old female black lab has been as good as a dog can be. She's loves everybody and everybody loves her. Don't sell her short in the field. Could not cover as much ground as her best friend, the Llewellin setter, but every bit as birdy. Hands down the easiest dog I ever trained. (My wife won't let me hunt her anymore. says she is too old. I think she could still tromp around little corners of circles). Late this April I was connected to a three year old Llewellin male who needed a new home. I was looking at pups and he and I just kind of found each other. I think he is going to be a tremendous dog. I am anxious for September. Birds and Huskers

Paragraphs, por favor.

I love dogs. The female Cocker spaniel my parents bought months before I was born and died of natural causes when I was 13 is buried in a shady grove of cottonwoods along the Republican River.

As an adult I have had bird dogs. Started out with Brittanies and moved to Setters. I had two male Brittanies that I hunted extensively in 5 states and shot 8 species of upland gamebirds over them. I was much younger and we would hunt all day. I was living in Seattle then and could hardly wait to get out to the country. Starting every October I kept a travel trailer in a mint farmer's equipment shed in the Ag lands of the Yakima Indian Reservation. I took every Friday off during pheasant season. Those three day weekends were wonderful. We also hunted every late November in Nebraska. Many years we would stay at the Big Red Motel in Laurel, Nebraska. It wasn't fancy, but they were nice to us hunters and let us keep our dogs in the rooms.

I then moved to English Setters. I had one bad dog. He kept me waiting at the truck until 7-8 pm many nights. Simply would not stop hunting for himself. He would be gone for hours. He was my biggest failure. Just could not get over the hump with him. He was killed by a car one day in early January when we were hunting chukar in the snow along the Columbia river. He was hunting on his own way too far away from me. His successor was as just the opposite. Maybe the perfect dog. Held birds so well I quit changing to heavy 4 or 5 shot shells when I thought pheasants were around. Just left in the light quail loads that I already had in my trusty Beretta 20 gauge OU. He had birds nailed. I had the last rooster he pointed for me mounted shortly after his death.

My last two dogs have been Llewellin Setters. I lost the first one and a great dog this past December to cancer. He had been my best friend for the past 12 years. I could write a book just on our adventures. My wife always said he had a higher standing in the family than even her.

His kennel mate, our 12 year old female black lab has been as good as a dog can be. She's loves everybody and everybody loves her. Don't sell her short in the field. Could not cover as much ground as her best friend, the Llewellin setter, but every bit as birdy. Hands down the easiest dog I ever trained. (My wife won't let me hunt her anymore. says she is too old. I think she could still tromp around little corners of circles).

Late this April I was connected to a three year old Llewellin male who needed a new home. I was looking at pups and he and I just kind of found each other. I think he is going to be a tremendous dog. I am anxious for September. Birds and Huskers.

(Someone requested paragraphs. Not sure it makes a different but here it is in an edited version)
My first wife decide we needed a dog shortly after we got married. I wasn’t sold on the idea, but gave in and fell in love with our cocker spaniel.We soon got a second one. Eleven years later I still have the dogs!

There is a special bond between a man and his hunting dog. My previous Brittany I got as a puppy. She died five years ago at 15 years of age. Losing her broke my heart. She is my avatar picture. Two weeks after her death I received a call about a 7 year old Brittany needing to be rescued. I picked her up at the shelter to foster her and she quickly stole our hearts. I believe she was sent to us by my previous dog. She is 12 now, has bad hips and I can't imagine life without her.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT