ADVERTISEMENT

Top25 loudest/quietest stadiums

Memorial Stadium is nowhere near as loud as it used to be.

There are two reasons for this:

1. Poor on-field performance.

2. An old fan base who would rather yell at the guy in-front of them (for standing/cheering) than to stand and cheer themselves.

The fact that they have Wake Forest, Kansas and Northwestern ahead of USC and Michigan tells you all you need to know about this list. I could give you 100+ other examples.
Agree. That's why I need more info

The fact that they have Wake Forest, Kansas and Northwestern ahead of USC and Michigan tells you all you need to know about this list. I could give you 100+ other examples.
They should be in that side. They are the quietest side

The 1991 Oklahoma game was the loudest atmosphere I've ever been in. I remember trying to literally yell at my dad right next to me and he just laughed because he couldn't hear what I was saying. 1992 Colorado was probably a close 2nd.

I've heard stories about Kyle field being insanely loud but I can't imagine it being louder than the 2 games in Lincoln that I mentioned.

Reactions: Lars72
I’ve always heard Michigan Stadium is really quiet for having over 100,000 fans. The sound goes up and out instead of down like a high rise stadium like in Lincoln. But yeah, how would they ranked Kansas and NW ahead of them when they don’t even know what a half full stadium sounds like.

I’ve always heard Michigan Stadium is really quiet for having over 100,000 fans. The sound goes up and out instead of down like a high rise stadium like in Lincoln. But yeah, how would they ranked Kansas and NW ahead of them when they don’t even know what a half full stadium sounds like.
number 1 on the quiet side would mean the quietest stadium. It is like being 129th loudest.

Although, outside of UCF, they seem to only be listing the P5 stadiums. I am pretty sure War Memorial stadium in Las Cruces, NM is slightly less quiet as compared to Heinz Field.

How Starkvegas is not on the list of loud is beyond me. The effing non stop cowbells makes that place louder than most.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Memorial stadium back in the day terrified opponents as it was an absolute viper pit and we are talking about pretty much every year in the 90s especially during the 5 year run and that was pretty much every game until Osborne retired. We start winning again on a regular basis, it will turn into a pit once again.

Playing UCLA in the Rose Bowl is like attending a golf tournament. UCLA fans are never watching the game, texting or talking incessantly about the party they are headed to after this stupid game is over.

Reactions: JohnRossEwing
The press box/luxery suites upgrade at Michigan Stadium has helped to bounce some of that noise back into the stadium making it a bit louder.

I've been to several games at Michigan Stadium none of them thrilling nail biters so its kind of hard to judge the loudness.

Go Blue!

Reactions: SWIowahawks
2003 vs Texas was the loudest I can remember and I think there was a db record broken that night??? especially right before Nathan vasher intercepted the ball in the end zone late in the 4th quarter. That place was ROCKING! I was in the North stadium as Nebraska was driving that direction for the Win and it was absolutely Nuts! lost my voice that night! LOL!

The press box/luxery suites upgrade at Michigan Stadium has helped to bounce some of that noise back into the stadium making it a bit louder.

I've been to several games at Michigan Stadium none of them thrilling nail biters so its kind of hard to judge the loudness.

Go Blue!
I've only been to one game at the big house

Huskers walked off with a late victory in 2013

it was very cold, and very quiet

Went to the Husker game at Autzen in 2017. I was surprised by how small the stadium was (seats 54 or 55K). I was warned about how loud it would be. It didn't seem that loud to me at all. We shut them out in the second half ... after giving up 42 points in the first half.

Reactions: HuskerO
2003 vs Texas was the loudest I can remember and I think there was a db record broken that night??? especially right before Nathan vasher intercepted the ball in the end zone late in the 4th quarter. That place was ROCKING! I was in the North stadium as Nebraska was driving that direction for the Win and it was absolutely Nuts! lost my voice that night! LOL!
That was pretty amazing too because a lot of fans had already left.

I would say the single loudest moment I can remember at memorial was when Henery kicked the 60 yarder against Colorado. The crowd went from gasping in silence to an eruption. It may just be because it went from quiet to loud so quickly, but the noise was deafening.

That was pretty amazing too because a lot of fans had already left.

I would say the single loudest moment I can remember at memorial was when Henery kicked the 60 yarder against Colorado. The crowd went from gasping in silence to an eruption. It may just be because it went from quiet to loud so quickly, but the noise was deafening.

I’d agree, memorial stadium exploded when that kick went through the goal post..

Reactions: HuskerO

Disagree on USC. When ND plays at the Coliseum it's closer to an ND home game than a true away game.

Anyway, Stanford should be higher on their list. They don't have fans. Also surprised Iowa is that high.

Disagree on USC. When ND plays at the Coliseum it's closer to an ND home game than a true away game.

Anyway, Stanford should be higher on their list. They don't have fans. Also surprised Iowa is that high.

Shoot most of the students are not even on campus when the Stanford season starts!

Memorial stadium back in the day terrified opponents as it was an absolute viper pit and we are talking about pretty much every year in the 90s especially during the 5 year run and that was pretty much every game until Osborne retired. We start winning again on a regular basis, it will turn into a pit once again.
Right now it is a pit of despair

fwiw, I am only mentioning the ones I have been in during a game:
Agree with: Tx A&M, Penn State & Wisconsin - I think Arkansas & Arizona State/Fiesta Bowl (NU vs Florida & Tennessee) could be higher?
Not so much: Michigan State (the comeback win) & Oklahoma State pre renovation for me, (& other than that time in Arrowhead)

For the other side I think they missed only based on when I was there:
Notre Dame (red out day), Colorado (62-36), Missouri (multiple) & CAL the day we were there wasn't that low - but typically maybe not so much I do think Kansas, TCU, Hard Rock (Miami), Air Force & TX tech (?) belong in the quietest side, again pre renovations for tech. And I have seen K state - not unlike Lincoln, both top and bottom 20 (including 4 straight husker losses in Manhattan).

Note: not a "home" but that Husker South Palace known as the Alamo Dome.......we raised the roof in there more than a few times between Big 12 & Bowl games.

- just my thoughts on it, thinking back since my first college games TCU 14 at NU 56, in the rain with TD Tommy H. running into me leaning against the fence in the northeast corner on his scoring run in 3rd quarter, I still remember the intensity in his eyes, and the emotion when I slapped his left shoulder pad with my right hand while staring into his facemask with only that short chain-link between us. - to Wichita State at Arkansas, Little Rock War Memorial then to the Astrodome for the Hogs v Cougars.......this was my first of many, note the details,
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/53463454/1975-nebraska-tcu-ljs-scoring-summary/

Reactions: scarletred
Memorial Stadium is nowhere near as loud as it used to be.

There are two reasons for this:

1. Poor on-field performance.

2. An old fan base who would rather yell at the guy in-front of them (for standing/cheering) than to stand and cheer themselves.
Regarding #2, those red polyester pants make it tough to get up and down comfortably.

I recall the UCF game from decades ago where Daunte Culpepper was their QB. An older Cornhusker fan, likely in his 70s or 80s was sitting in front of us with his red pants on. He never stood up, but frequently chanted "we want a touchdown", even when we were on defense. Bless his heart.

• Haha
Reactions: BrighteRed24
fwiw, I am only mentioning the ones I have been in during a game:
Agree with: Tx A&M, Penn State & Wisconsin - I think Arkansas & Arizona State/Fiesta Bowl (NU vs Florida & Tennessee) could be higher?
Not so much: Michigan State (the comeback win) & Oklahoma State pre renovation for me, (& other than that time in Arrowhead)

For the other side I think they missed only based on when I was there:
Notre Dame (red out day), Colorado (62-36), Missouri (multiple) & CAL the day we were there wasn't that low - but typically maybe not so much I do think Kansas, TCU, Hard Rock (Miami), Air Force & TX tech (?) belong in the quietest side, again pre renovations for tech. And I have seen K state - not unlike Lincoln, both top and bottom 20 (including 4 straight husker losses in Manhattan).

Note: not a "home" but that Husker South Palace known as the Alamo Dome.......we raised the roof in there more than a few times between Big 12 & Bowl games.

- just my thoughts on it, thinking back since my first college games TCU 14 at NU 56, in the rain with TD Tommy H. running into me leaning against the fence in the northeast corner on his scoring run in 3rd quarter, I still remember the intensity in his eyes, and the emotion when I slapped his left shoulder pad with my right hand while staring into his facemask with only that short chain-link between us. - to Wichita State at Arkansas, Little Rock War Memorial then to the Astrodome for the Hogs v Cougars.......this was my first of many, note the details,
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/53463454/1975-nebraska-tcu-ljs-scoring-summary/

Penn St and Wisky were the two loudest B1G stadiums I’ve attended, would never go back to Happy Valley but would go back to Madison despite their students are as rude and crude as hell....
Ioway was pretty loud too in 1981 the day they invented football with Fry, but was quite a bit quieter during the 1999, 42-7 beating..

Minnesota could get loud but it’s never full..

Overrated on loudness from personal experience are: Iowa, Oregon, Mich St, Okie State.

I went to CU in the early 90's and it was loud and you could feel the NU hatred. Maybe that was part of it, but stadium was rockin.

The 1991 Oklahoma game was the loudest atmosphere I've ever been in. I remember trying to literally yell at my dad right next to me and he just laughed because he couldn't hear what I was saying. 1992 Colorado was probably a close 2nd.

I've heard stories about Kyle field being insanely loud but I can't imagine it being louder than the 2 games in Lincoln that I mentioned.

I live in Texas and my wife’s family has season tickets to Aggie games. I may be biased, but Kyle Field has nothing on Memorial Stadium. As a younger Husker fan, my first ever game was ‘94 Kansas.

So, I never got to experience some of the contests mentioned earlier, but my most memorable and loudest games that I have been too were ‘08 Col/Neb and ‘16 Ore/Neb.

Granted I didn’t get to go to many big games in ‘90s, but those two games I listed above were amazing and Memorial Stadium was rocking!!

you are interpreting the their list incorrectly.

also the Big House is indeed a very quiet stadium considering how much people it holds. Doesn’t help it’s a wine and cheese crowd in Ann Arbor.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
I agree went to Husky Stadium in ‘10 and it was not as loud as I expected. However, we ran away with that game pretty fast.

I was there in 2010 and 97... Husky stadium is one of the top 10 loudest..

I was there in 2010 and 97... Husky stadium is one of the top 10 loudest..
Absolutely incorrect. Held season tickets for years. Almost embarrassing. I assume you speak of the Nebraska games in 97 and 10.. I was at both. And yes they were better by far. But probably because of the Husker fans more than the Husky fans. I specifically remember bringing my son to the Norte Dame game and him saying how sad the atmosphere was compared to Memorial Stadium.

Reactions: nwualum
ADVERTISEMENT