ADVERTISEMENT

Top two RBs

Stepp
Scott III
I don't think we get much clarity on the RB position before the end of fall camp. Stepp has zero practice reps running this offense so far and behind him we have zero proven starters. But him having been healthy and played well in a P5 conference puts him ahead of most of the rest of the guys.

It wouldn't shock me if we haven't seen the last RB transfer in.

There are, wait for it...FIFTEEN guys listed on the roster at RB right now. By my count six of those on scholarship. The "oldest" of them is Stepp who is listed as a Sophomore.

We got 15 dudes and 0 answers. So I guess what I'm saying is here's my 2-deep:

1. Yikes
2. Also yikes

If you're bullish on white RB walk-ons whose dads played for NU then it's an exciting time, we have a couple of those.

This is what, year 3 for Thompkins? Is it unfair to be at a place of "this kid needs to show that he can play and compete for the job" at this point? Sorry about your knees but if you can't be in that mix that scholarship needs to be freed up. Horrible thing to say but that's the business of major CFB at this point. We got 9 walk-ons to prove we can find guys who aren't good enough to start at RB for free.

I don't think we get much clarity on the RB position before the end of fall camp. Stepp has zero practice reps running this offense so far and behind him we have zero proven starters. But him having been healthy and played well in a P5 conference puts him ahead of most of the rest of the guys.

There are, wait for it...FIFTEEN guys listed on the roster at RB right now. By my count six of those on scholarship. The "oldest" of them is Stepp who is listed as a Sophomore.

1. Yikes
2. Also yikes

If you're bullish on white RB walk-ons whose dads played for NU then it's an exciting time, we have a couple of those.

This is what, year 3 for Thompkins? Is it unfair to be at a place of "this kid needs to show that he can play and compete for the job" at this point? Sorry about your knees but if you can't be in that mix that scholarship needs to be freed up. Horrible thing to say but that's the business of major CFB at this point. We got 9 walk-ons to prove we can find guys who aren't good enough to start at RB for free.
Every time I see Thompkins run I think “isn’t that kid a bit too skinny to play RB?”

Every time I see Thompkins run I think “isn’t that kid a bit too skinny to play RB?”
Some of these kids were recruited with the idea that they could fill the "Duck R" position and be used similarly to Wandale Robinson. We called him a WR and personally I hope to never hear the term "Duck R" ever again. Call them a wing back or slot receiver but let's lose the Oregon terminology. Maybe call them the Husk R back. In any case, some of these guys were recruited to be used most commonly as a receiver and not a 20 carry per game RB. Frost needs versatile backs who IMO most closely resemble Tom's wing backs.

Some of these kids were recruited with the idea that they could fill the "Duck R" position and be used similarly to Wandale Robinson. We called him a WR and personally I hope to never hear the term "Duck R" ever again. Call them a wing back or slot receiver but let's lose the Oregon terminology. Maybe call them the Husk R back. In any case, some of these guys were recruited to be used most commonly as a receiver and not a 20 carry per game RB. Frost needs versatile backs who IMO most closely resemble Tom's wing backs.
I have been trying to get people to call it the "Husk R" position for 3+ years

maybe it's too on the nose?

Also, I don't care if he is skinny. Frost wanted guys that can break it on any play, similar to Mo Wash. I hope at some point the kid gets a break with his health.

I always thought Mo Washington was kind of skinny, but never got that impression from Thompkins? I would call him wiry but maybe I am splitting hairs. I would like to see more of what Thompkins can do, he kind of disappeared on us last year.

Really want to see Morrison in action, he might be our game breaker.

Also want to see Ervin. Ervin strikes me as an Ozigbo type. Not really flashy but is a good athlete who can do a bit of everything and is productive.

Stepp is probable the man with his maturity for this year... I agree with the 1&2 of Stepp and Morrison.

Reactions: BleedRed78

1. Yikes
2. Also yikes

Markese Stepp is the #1 and will be the clear #1. You're kidding yourself or just falling on a false sense of pragmatism.

And they're not adding another RB transfer, at least before Fall of 2021.

Markese Stepp is the #1 and will be the clear #1. You're kidding yourself or just falling on a false sense of pragmatism.

Ankle sprain and turf toe are two injuries that he's had and they both have a rep of possibly being of the lingering kind. Any idea of where Stepp sits healthwise. Video I've seen shows he's a load to bring down, but all that effort after first contact means defenders have multiple shots at him. Not a recipe for staying healthy.

I'm not sure who the guys will be but I hope they get a lot of carries and at least two of them can separate themselves from the rest of the group. Stepp and Morrison I have hopes can make that position a strength as long as the coaches are willing to feature a strong run game aside from just the qb's.

It makes the most sense that he ends up with the #1 job eventually, yes. We also have to remember this is going to be his very first practice with this team, so he still has to un-learn what USC did and learn what NU does.

I think he starts Game 1 this fall. I also think the overall RB picture as of May 1 is still going to be pretty muddy.

Sad, but sounds like Thompkins is going to a high risk bust. Thought for a moment last year that he had a chance but then faded away.

UPDATE on May 19: So he's leaving via transfer portal as expected.

Last edited:
  • Wow
It makes the most sense that he ends up with the #1 job eventually, yes. We also have to remember this is going to be his very first practice with this team, so he still has to un-learn what USC did and learn what NU does.

I think he starts Game 1 this fall. I also think the overall RB picture as of May 1 is still going to be pretty muddy.
I hope Stepp can get up to speed faster than Mills. Seems it took him a long time to be really effective.

Unlikely methinks.

That may be true, but more just saying that I don't care about if our RB looks "skinny". Speed is the name of the game. Mo Wash was skinny as hell, but dude could fly and was a threat to take it every time he had the ball. When Frost had him in the right play, look out. Also at UCF he had fast ass dudes that were little, but they hit the hole hard and if there was a crease they were gone.

Yeah this was the time for Thompkins to prove he could leave the injuries in the past and play at a high level. Sucks to have it happen this way for a kid but you can't be a P5 blue blood at keep guys on pity scholarships.

I won't be surprised if Rahmir leaves as well.

looking forward to seeing what all of them can do out there!

we should give 25+ RB carries every single game

each of the the last 2 years - a chronically injured QB and a 170 lbs WR have combined for more carries than the summation of carries of the top 3 RBs

this from a position group (RB), along with WR, that are the easiest to get new recruits on the field producing - both have been complete disasters under this coaching staff

the original WR coach is gone ... while the RB coach is a darling for some reason

5cb2608731338.image.jpg

DQTqOPgUQAAPUjN.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Red I 73
1 Stepp
2 Morrison
3 Ervin
4 Scott
5 Yant

If Stepp comes back 100% and ready to go, we could see another White/Bush Scenerio Thunder and Lightning with Stepp and Morrison as he a Bush type of back imo.
Similar list for me

1. Stepp OR
Ervin
3. Scott
4. Yant OR
Morrison

Sevion hasn't proven anything to me yet. Kid needs to tape up his ankles, stretch his hammies, get his shots and go play some RB this year. They can't have a collection of dudes wearing that "good if healthy" label.

#1 ability in football is availability. Otherwise those other dudes will go out there and take his job while he rides a bike on the sidelines or whatever.

If morrison doesn't move up in the fall, i can see him leaving. there is no reason for a kid with his pedigree to sit around for 4 years. If Ervin passed him already thats not a good sign for morrison.

I think it will be a mixture of Morrison/Irvin as the speedier back, with a mixture of Stepp/Scott/Yant as the hammer. Wildcard is Johnson, who I think the staff liked at one point.

Reactions: HominidHusker
I'm really not sure why there's all this certainty in Stepp, an oft-injured, slow back who was passed up several times on a pretty average USC roster.

I'd be much more surprised to see him contribute in a meaningful way than I would be if he never played another down.

Yant and Ervin at least seem to want to play. give them the ball (a lot) and see what they can do.

Similar list for me

1. Stepp OR
Ervin
3. Scott
4. Yant OR
Morrison

Sevion hasn't proven anything to me yet. Kid needs to tape up his ankles, stretch his hammies, get his shots and go play some RB this year. They can't have a collection of dudes wearing that "good if healthy" label.

#1 ability in football is availability. Otherwise those other dudes will go out there and take his job while he rides a bike on the sidelines or whatever.
I'm still real skeptical on Stepp. For me it's probably a committee situation with Ervin, Scott, Yant and maybe another...

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
1 Stepp
2 Morrison
3 Ervin
4 Scott
5 Yant

If Stepp comes back 100% and ready to go, we could see another White/Bush Scenerio Thunder and Lightning with Stepp and Morrison as he a Bush type of back imo.
I kinda think it will be more like if Marshall Faulk and Jerome Bettis were splitting reps for the Huskers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT