ADVERTISEMENT

Top two RBs

1. Martinez
2. Ervin
3. Whomever is least injured and can manage to limp onto the field for a snap or two per game.
The good news is I doubt we'll have to deal with COVID knocking guys out of practice and games for several weeks at a time this fall. IMO, we probably have the deepest RB room that we've had for a long time. I'm excited to see what they do this fall. I'm still a Marvin Scott fan. I want to see more of him in game action. Ervin I thought looked very good in the spring game. We'll see.

While I do really enjoy properly executed finesse ball, my brain keeps imagining lining up against Illinois and only throwing 9 passes all game with the rest reserved for Yant Scott and hopefully Stepp to just barrel through full steam ahead... 3 yds and a cloud of dust (rubber pellet debris).

After that game, balance things out appropriately.... but then return to the heavy plan against Minnesota.

Those two teams need to get run down and run over like Sapp at the Orange Bowl. It’s time.

That's too bad to hear about Thompkins. I thought he'd be the most loyal due to honoring his scholarship even with the bad injuries he sustained.

I think the top two not named Steppe will be Ervin and Scott. Ervin has HUGE upside explosiveness and vision. Scott I believe the staff trusts the most and I can see why. In the spring game, he ran effectively and blocked even better on designed QB runs. Unless those go away (which I sadly don't see any time soon) then that's an important aspect of this offense. We saw this a lot with Mills who also did well at it. Maybe Morrison and Yant can break into the rotation as well. But I see Steppe as the top guy unless injuries prevent it. Then Ervin and Scott

Reactions: HominidHusker
each of the the last 2 years - a chronically injured QB and a 170 lbs WR have combined for more carries than the summation of carries of the top 3 RBs

this from a position group (RB), along with WR, that are the easiest to get new recruits on the field producing - both have been complete disasters under this coaching staff

the original WR coach is gone ... while the RB coach is a darling for some reason

5cb2608731338.image.jpg

DQTqOPgUQAAPUjN.jpg

Can some please explain this one to me??!! Why was Walter's vilified for getting type of players Frost wants but Held is HELD UP like some beacon of hope by the fanbase! I think I may know why he gets pass tho.

His RB room is and has been a failure since he been here and he hasn't developed NOTHING!

Can some please explain this one to me??!! Why was Walter's vilified for getting type of players Frost wants but Held is HELD UP like some beacon of hope by the fanbase! I think I may know why he gets pass tho.

His RB room is and has been a failure since he been here and he hasn't developed NOTHING!

I don't think he is anymore. I was underwhelmed with the guy before it was cool.

IMO, he's too much of a bleeding heart.

1. Greg Bell was a significant JUCO talent but many teams backed off of him because of his attitude and work ethic. Held wanted to give him a second chance.

2. Mo Washington, an elite talent, had literally been kicked out of 4 high schools for various impropriety. Held wanted to give him a 5th chance.

3. Ronald Thompkins, a one time national recruit, tears his ACL as a junior after really thinking about Bama, Florida, and Georgia as a destinations. All those programs immediately back off. Held wants to give him another chance. He appreciates Held and commits. After 1 quarter of football his senior year, he tears his other ACL. Held and Georgia State are the only schools still interested.

4. Nikko Cooper doesn't start a game at Hutch, but Held listens to a sad story about how the kid just had a rough life and needs a new start. Kid was a complete joke and not a Big Ten player.

1 Stepp
2 Morrison
3 Ervin
4 Scott
5 Yant

If Stepp comes back 100% and ready to go, we could see another White/Bush Scenerio Thunder and Lightning with Stepp and Morrison as he a Bush type of back imo.
3 things Ive learned on RSS:
Adrian Martinez=Patrick Mahomes
ILBs=Lavonte David
And now Stepp and Morrison= Lendale White and Reggie Bush
RollingLaugh

3 things Ive learned on RSS:
Adrian Martinez=Patrick Mahomes
ILBs=Lavonte David
And now Stepp and Morrison= Lendale White and Reggie Bush
RollingLaugh
Ervin was probably the closest I've been since Tre Bryant to thinking, "Yep, this kid runs like he gets it" in spring scrimmage carries. Benning is forever saying "If you don't bark as a pup you won't bite as a dog" and what he means by that is you should see something right away from a freshman if he's really got it. You saw it right away with Ameer, Rex, Phillips, Green, even Washington. Immediate impact guys.

I saw/heard nothing from Thompkins, and I don't see it from Rahmir either. I was big on RJ coming out of HS but he seems to have hit the mental wall, he's been totally forgettable as a runner. I think he'll leave as well but I hope he sticks around this fall because I think Stepp and Sevion between the two of them MIGHT be available for half the games.

I like Scott's balance but his vision hasn't been there, he was like Mills where he'd just put his head down and plow without really seeing the cuts. Contrast that with how Rex was, the dude ALWAYS make the right cut. He'd take a loss of 1 and turn it into a gain of 2 with his vision even if there was nothing there.

Yant seems to have better vision than that but he's still very north-south. I think he can be sneaky good and turn into a guy like Ozigbo where he gets his shot and we go, "Why wasn't he playing more before this??"

I don't think he is anymore. I was underwhelmed with the guy before it was cool.

1. Greg Bell was a significant JUCO talent but many teams backed off of him because of his attitude and work ethic. Held wanted to give him a second chance.

2. Mo Washington, an elite talent, had literally been kicked out of 4 high schools for various impropriety. Held wanted to give him a 5th chance.

3. Ronald Thompkins, a one time national recruit, tears his ACL as a junior after really thinking about Bama, Florida, and Georgia as a destinations. All those programs immediately back off. Held wants to give him another chance. He appreciates Held and commits. After 1 quarter of football his senior year, he tears his other ACL. Held and Georgia State are the only schools still interested.

4. Nikko Cooper doesn't start a game at Hutch, but Held listens to a sad story about how the kid just had a rough life and needs a new start. Kid was a complete joke and not a Big Ten player.

All of that may be true about Held. I'm not the president of his fan club myself either. Not a fan of his development. At some point his evaluation would probably have to come under criticism as well. But at the end of the day I don't think Held or any other coach can push an offer through without consent of the head guy. They are tied hand and hand as far as that goes imo.

Holla

This morning Sipple and Schaefer both said despite what the coaches are saying publicly, they’re hearing behind the scenes not to count on Steppe being ready to play come fall. Which, based on what I heard his foot injury was, I certainly wouldn’t think he’d be ready either. I use to be an avid runner, and runners that had that surgery couldn’t run again for 10-12 months.

This morning Sipple and Schaefer both said despite what the coaches are saying publicly, they’re hearing behind the scenes not to count on Steppe being ready to play come fall. Which, based on what I heard his foot injury was, I certainly wouldn’t think he’d be ready either. I use to be an avid runner, and runners that had that surgery couldn’t run again for 10-12 months.
Another slam dunk by Frost.

And another wasted scholarship that could’ve been used on a quarterback.

Not suprised. I'm all in on Ervin anyways. Think Scott starts the year but Ervin and Morrison are intriguing to me. Yant is the wildcat out of the bunch.

Holla

Not suprised. I'm all in on Ervin anyways. Think Scott starts the year but Ervin and Morrison are intriguing to me. Yant is the wildcat out of the bunch.

Holla
I think those 4 guys have the makings of being pretty damned good backs. I'm still on the Scott bandwagon based on a series of plays in one game but Ervin looks like the whole package. I thought he was impressive in the spring game.

Lol, It was Frost who wanted to give the extra chances to all these injured guys, not Held.

Lol, It was Frost who wanted to give the extra chances to all these injured guys, not Held.
IF that is true, do you think Held is going to argue against Frost? If he doesn't he's not worth keeping around. If he did and Frost didn't listen, signs of bad leadership. My thought is, Held is a yes man to keep his job. Recruit the "stars" and under-develop them or they get injured and put on the "do not touch" shelf until they 1) leave or 2) stay and do nothing but eat a scholly and all the training table food they want.

Did they use a scholarship on an RB with a lisfranc break?

IF that is true, do you think Held is going to argue against Frost? If he doesn't he's not worth keeping around. If he did and Frost didn't listen, signs of bad leadership. My thought is, Held is a yes man to keep his job. Recruit the "stars" and under-develop them or they get injured and put on the "do not touch" shelf until they 1) leave or 2) stay and do nothing but eat a scholly and all the training table food they want.
Most people do what their boss tells them to do, or they don't remain employed for very long.

I don't know why they load up so many scholarships on running backs, because clearly they do not use them enough in the offense. That is on the head coach and the OC.

Also, because Frost was an athlete, I believe it taints his views and influences his decisions. He knows what it's like to be injured and to rehab. I think because of that, he takes way more chances on injured guys than other coaches do.

Maybe it will pan out one of these times, but when top programs walk away from recruiting injured guys (remember those programs are successful) it should tell you something. I mean success leaves clues.

I'm really not sure why there's all this certainty in Stepp, an oft-injured, slow back who was passed up several times on a pretty average USC roster.

I'd be much more surprised to see him contribute in a meaningful way than I would be if he never played another down.

Yant and Ervin at least seem to want to play. give them the ball (a lot) and see what they can do.
I agree on Stepp. This program needs more reliability at RB. Too many discipline and injury problems at the position so they add an oft injured transfer who shows up with a bad foot? I cannot foresee this staff giving Stepp a lion's share of reps this fall to get him up to speed only to risk yet another injury? Same goes for Morrison. That kid's been available for what? 10% of the time so far? Those two have to prove themselves before they get pushed ahead of anyone.

Last edited:
With Thompkins leaving and word of Stepp’s recovery possibly leaking into the season, NU goes from 6 plus Yant to 4 plus. And this is assuming Rahmir sticks around.

Count me in the camp of putting Stepp in the top tier. He has demonstrated little ability to get on and stay on the field. He missed the entire spring and now the fall with a late or later fall target date.

He is like the second string QB that has never played, the anointed savior who is going to step in and cure the woes. He may do that but looking at the big picture should create tons of doubt.

Scott is reliable. He will get the start and should at this point. Ervin looks to have a bright future but only a true freshman. Morrison has the most speed/wiggle for guys who will get carries. Yant I really like, I think he should see the field a lot if we want him to stick around past next year.

There were/are too many guys with not enough carries to go around. I said Thompkins would leave before he did and I assume Johnson will as well. Even at that you have 5 guys who are legit fighting for carries and the starting spot.

Reactions: BleedRed78
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT