ADVERTISEMENT

Top teams to NOT win a National Championship

1999 Nebraska and 1993 Nebraska definitely missing. I wasn't alive but my understanding is that the 1982 team was our best team to never win it all. It gets overlooked because of the 1983 team's game against Miami.

It’s hard to deny the 1983 team.. At the time it was the best scoring offense in college football history for many many years...

Although they lost in Lincoln and had a couple of other close calls, the '78 Oklahoma team was absolutely loaded. Offense rushed for more than 5,000 yards and the defense forced 50 turnovers. Wouldn't put them above '71 Oklahoma, but I'd put them somewhere on the list.

The 1969 OSU team. Outscored opponents 371-69 in the first 8 games of the season. The closest margin of victory was 27 points. Then the unexpected happened - the 24-12 loss to Michigan.

Nebraska squads notwithstanding, IMO the best teams to not win a natty are 71 Oklahoma, 2019 Ohio St, pretty much every FSU team from 1987 through 1992, and 1999 VaTech.

Nebraska squads notwithstanding, IMO the best teams to not win a natty are 71 Oklahoma, 2019 Ohio St, pretty much every FSU team from 1987 through 1992, and 1999 VaTech.
I'd throw these teams in there:
2002 Miami
2004 USC on a technicality given their BCS title was vacated

Reactions: kakdawg

I’d agree that 2019 tOSU should have beaten Clemson, can’t remember the controversial call in the second half but no way were they were going to hang with that LSU team...

And V-Tech was soundly beaten 46-29 over FSU why would they be deserving..

I’d agree that 2019 tOSU should have beaten Clemson, can’t remember the controversial call in the second half but no way were they were going to hang with that LSU team...

And V-Tech was soundly beaten 46-29 over FSU why would they be deserving..
VA Tech was leading in the 4th quarter of that game, so I'm not sure I would call that being beaten soundly, and FSU was really, really good in 1999. That VA Tech squad was also really good.

1969 Ohio St team could also make a case losing to Michigan was one of the greatest upsets at the time and would have given the Bucknuts back to back national titles and texass would have been crying along with Penn St undefeated seasons..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT