ADVERTISEMENT

Top 5 Underrated Huskers for 2021

JabroniBlvd

Sophomore
Nov 5, 2005
Excludes true freshmen

5. Marquis Black - I'm not sure how much he will see in the rotation this year, but the kid is going to be tough to move on the defensive line when he gets called upon. Overall, the future of the defensive line is sitting in a very good place with Nash, Black, Buckley, Robinson, and Rogers.

4. Javin Wright - He was going to see PT last year before going down with an injury. Has looked solid in practice thus far in the spring. Has great length and moves well for his size. He has also added some weight so he is for sure a hybrid that could play Safety, Nickel or OLB.

3. Oliver Martin - I think Martin has the potential to lead the team in receptions this year. Decent size to go with athleticism that only a few others on the team can match. Nebraska is his third stop during his college career - I think with a full year here now he is ready to break through.

2. Chris Kolaveric - I was able to see two of his games when he was at UNI and the kid can really play. He lacks a little height and length but reminds me a lot of Luke Reimer. The biggest strength I saw was his ability to cover ground sideline to sideline. It's going to be tough to keep him off the field.

1. Pheldarius Payne - The former Juco showed flashes last year against Penn St and Rutgers. He has a high motor and can get behind the LOS to makes some key stops and apply some pressure on the QB. Him and Nelson show similar attributes and both will be solid to go along with JoJo and Tannor.

Excludes true freshmen

5. Marquis Black - I'm not sure how much he will see in the rotation this year, but the kid is going to be tough to move on the defensive line when he gets called upon. Overall, the future of the defensive line is sitting in a very good place with Nash, Black, Buckley, Robinson, and Rogers.
Heck, even for the near future (2021 and 2022), Riley, Thomas and Daniels could be around as they're all listed as juniors still.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Excludes true freshmen

4. Javin Wright - He was going to see PT last year before going down with an injury. Has looked solid in practice thus far in the spring. Has great length and moves well for his size. He has also added some weight so he is for sure a hybrid that could play Safety, Nickel or OLB.

3. Oliver Martin - I think Martin has the potential to lead the team in receptions this year. Decent size to go with athleticism that only a few others on the team can match. Nebraska is his third stop during his college career - I think with a full year here now he is ready to break through.

2. Chris Kolaveric - I was able to see two of his games when he was at UNI and the kid can really play. He lacks a little height and length but reminds me a lot of Luke Reimer. The biggest strength I saw was his ability to cover ground sideline to sideline. It's going to be tough to keep him off the field.

1. Pheldarius Payne - The former Juco showed flashes last year against Penn St and Rutgers. He has a high motor and can get behind the LOS to makes some key stops and apply some pressure on the QB. Him and Nelson show similar attributes and both will be solid to go along with JoJo and Tannor.
Yes , I have Payne#1 for surprise this year, no reason for Nelson to play much now.

Don’t know if he would be called underrated but Braxton Clark will make a impact at corner for us this fall..
Clark has had bad luck with injuries, but has consistently been on the radar when healthy.

One such player is Oliver Martin, who told reporters he ran 4.5 seconds in the 40-yard dash with laser start and laser finish, which he said compared favorably to his teammates and other receivers around the country. Fellow receiver Wyatt Liewer said Martin has hardly lost a one-on-one repetition this spring.

I wish we could.
Exactly, Payne is legit, IMO, he is more explosive, quicker, and even has better top end speed than Nelson. Also, helps that Payne has some power and size. He was new to the program last summer, and even played a brand new position last fall. He will play much better now.

Exactly, Payne is legit, IMO, he is more explosive, quicker, and even has better top end speed than Nelson. Also, helps that Payne has some power and size. He was new to the program last summer, and even played a brand new position last fall. He will play much better now.
The fact that there are two solutions at the position as opposed barely one when Frost took over the program is progress.

I still have to believe there's something to be said about Thompkins... that guy looked promising coming out of fall practice last year and was slated at #2 and then something happened and he just disappeared... I know he has had a rough History of injuries but from all indications the guy can move...

I think Kolarevic, Payne and Allen will all be solid/average big ten level players and given they aren't discussed much could be considered over rated.

I also consider Martin a legit Big Ten player but he is not a dynamic player at WR. If he is leading the team in reception we are in real trouble. I personally believe there is future NFL talent in the WR and TE room and expect a 1000 yard reciever this year (Martinez almost had two in 2018). If Martin is leading we are probably looking at a leading receiver with roughly 500 yards and this is a 6-6 team.

One such player is Oliver Martin, who told reporters he ran 4.5 seconds in the 40-yard dash with laser start and laser finish, which he said compared favorably to his teammates and other receivers around the country. Fellow receiver Wyatt Liewer said Martin has hardly lost a one-on-one repetition this spring.

That's pretty impressive if true. In fact, I would bet he's the fastest player on the team with that number. Might have to watch for him next season.

I said early last year that Jojo and Payne should be on the field the majority of the time. The one thing you missed about Payne is that he has a motor and is just as relentless as Nelson.

I also consider Martin a legit Big Ten player but he is not a dynamic player at WR. If he is leading the team in reception we are in real trouble. I personally believe there is future NFL talent in the WR and TE room and expect a 1000 yard reciever this year (Martinez almost had two in 2018). If Martin is leading we are probably looking at a leading receiver with roughly 500 yards and this is a 6-6 team.

This is easily the dumbest thing I’ve read today. Martin got open a lot last season, we just couldn’t hit him. He’s a legit WR

ADVERTISEMENT