ADVERTISEMENT

Too early prediction thread?

Yep, ditto Nebraska.

I see this as the must win tossup game for Michigan.

Washington, @Wisconsin, @Penn State, Ohio State, Indiana(!?), nope.

56 points? On the road? With a new QB? Highly doubtful.

I hope its a dogfight.

Go Blue!

thoughts on sham-beckler?

I think this is going to be a much, much better football team then others think for a number of reasons. I think we will have a well above average offensive line and the left side of Corcoran, Piper and Jurgens will be big ten good. I think the jump at WR from 2020 will be staggering. As a result of having a legit running game and real Power 5 WR's we are going to see a completely different player in Martinez.

That being said I need to see the Illinois game before I invest much more so I will only make one prediction for 2021. I think we are going to absolutely destroy Illinois. I think total yardage differential will look like Rutgers without the mistakes. I am expecting 30 point game and that happens I am predicting 8-4.

If we win by less than ten or the current spread I will take your prediction of 5-7 and humbly and sadly agree with the folks that think Scott sucks.
And if Martinez gets injured?

And if Martinez gets injured?

Isn't this sentiment true of every team in the B1G, minus OSU? If Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin or Illinois loses their starting QB, their prospects would be much, much worse too, right?

Isn't this sentiment true of every team in the B1G, minus OSU? If Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin or Illinois loses their starting QB, their prospects would be much, much worse too, right?
I don't think our prospects would be nearly as bad as those listed.

again, we went .500 without AM or a capable backup last year, and had probably the best win in Frost's tenure.

either freshman replacing AM would be at the very least a lateral move for us. he is that much of a non-factor.

Last edited:
thoughts on sham-beckler?

For reasons not remembered in 2nd grade in 1969 I found myself sitting in my tighty-whiteys in the school nurses office. The nurse came in (my guess late 40's early 50's ?) and asked me to pull the band of my underwear out. I did and she reached in and gave my package a nice little squeeze. She gave me a dazzling smile and a wink then told me to get dressed. That was the end of it.

Was I molested? I didn't think so then. I don't think so now. But if it happened today to your children or grandchildren what would you think?

Some sit with their 20-20 hindsight and judge people from decades earlier because they are accused of not living up to our lofty 2021 ideals.

Its not 1969 and attitudes have changed.

We will never get Bo's side of the story and its easy to convict a dead man who cannot defend himself.

Go Blue!

I get the pessimism, but outside of a fewreally rough games, it's not like we are getting beat by 40. Yes, there are a few games that have been god awful under Frost, but we've had an opportunity to beat Iowa every year under Frost and I really believe our D is getting much better. On both lines we aren't being pushed around which is why I have reason for optimism. Yes, we still have a ton to prove, but if we get just a little bit of skill position improvement as well as if Martinez can finally even make some small steps we could be decent. We are probably going to still have some maddening coaching decisions, but in my eyes it's not like we are so far away that small improvement couldn't help us get over some humps. I'd hope we win 6-8 games and get some more pieces to the puzzle in this recruiting class to help spring forward. I'm starting to doubt Frost myself, but also going to pump the brakes a little.

I’m taking the under 6 wins at even money. I can easily see a push and 6 wins. Depends on how early and how much time Martinez misses.
Speaking of QBs missing games, I saw a stat this week that in the past 11 seasons, encompassing 138 games, Iowa's top QB has missed 1 game to injury. Granted, you don't run your QBs, but that's some pretty good fortune right there. And still just one division championship (though if I were pressed, I'd pick Iowa to win the West this year).

Reactions: SWIowahawks
For reasons not remembered in 2nd grade in 1969 I found myself sitting in my tighty-whiteys in the school nurses office. The nurse came in (my guess late 40's early 50's ?) and asked me to pull the band of my underwear out. I did and she reached in and gave my package a nice little squeeze. She gave me a dazzling smile and a wink then told me to get dressed. That was the end of it.
WTF haha. You were molested bro.

Was I molested? I didn't think so then. I don't think so now. But if it happened today to your children or grandchildren what would you think?

Some sit with their 20-20 hindsight and judge people from decades earlier because they are accused of not living up to our lofty 2021 ideals.

Its not 1969 and attitudes have changed.

We will never get Bo's side of the story and its easy to convict a dead man who cannot defend himself.

Go Blue!
Remarkable. You are a true Michigan Man.

I just feel like the bad luck has gotta stop some time. why not this year? Can’t we just get a solid year on account of our long suffering ways. Don’t the odds have to change at some point?

This season is a huge one. I think it is make or break time for Frost. Another losing season and all bets are off. In my opinion it will all boil down to whether or not Martinez can stay healthy. Because in reality we really only have one viable QB on our roster and he is it. Smothers is not a QB and why he is even at that position is a mystery. The dude can’t throw. That seems important to me. Haarberg (sp?) is ok, but green as hell and totally unproven. He looked like shit in that last practice scrimmage we called a Spring Game.

There are two very probable wins on our schedule: Buffalo and Fordham. But there are five probable lossses: OU, OSU, Michigan, Wisky, and Iowa. There are five toss ups: Illinois, Minnesota, Northwestern, Purdue, MSU.

We need to win four of the five toss ups to go bowling. But Martinez has to stay healthy. Which he won’t.
predic

the future starts early!

Martinez doesn't raise the level of play on offense at all, and, in turn, doesn't raise the odds of us winning any given week.
Martinez needs to drastically raise his performance at QB, and Frost needs to raise his level of coaching drastically, or this is a 4 to 5 win team, 6 tops and that is with some breaks. I see two for sure losses with tOSU and OU, 3 probable losses with Wiscy, Michigan and Iowa. The rest are toss up games. Of course, Michigan stunk last season, and Northwestern is always a wild card, so who knows with them.

7and5 based on special teams, better discipline, a more cohesive offense with a real identity. Iowa is gay.

I just feel like the bad luck has gotta stop some time. why not this year? Can’t we just get a solid year on account of our long suffering ways. Don’t the odds have to change at some point?
We beat the odds for so long, decades in fact. Then the tables turned. Has happened to UM, USC, even Bama. tOSU has been mostly up with some downs as well. Odds GOT to turn some time. Been gone a while now, so not hearing what's happening inside anymore, but such things are complicated and take time to turn around. I like the posts about OL/DL improvement, LOS is where the odds are made.

Hey, at this point, I don't even ponder the scores, only that we play good games, hit hard and earn our place against any good team. That's how it was, even when we lost big games, we were in there, played tough and respected. I do miss that...

There are only two wins on the schedule. *BUT*, there are only two losses on it as well. The rest of the games are toss-ups or “possibly winnable”.

There are only two wins on the schedule. *BUT*, there are only two losses on it as well. The rest of the games are toss-ups or “possibly winnable”.
We think similar but I feel there are 3 losses..Wisconsin is a tough out in Madison and they usually beat anyone in the Big10 there not named Ohio St..

Reactions: vs540husker
The Friday Night Pants Pisser is checking in with an 8-4 prediction. I sort of feel like Nebraska gets the monkey off its back with respect to Iowa or Wisconsin but not both. Feel pretty good about the Michigan game but still see a loss. I also believe the Ohio State game will not be a blow out like years' past. The concern is Frost finding a way to lose games he shouldn't.

The offense has a lot of questions but the O-line (although young) will be much improved. Depth behind AM isn't great so it could be an achilles. Excited about the skill positions. If Yant can continue to get good reps and learn the offense, he will be an outstanding combination to one of the speedier guys in the backfield.

I see the D helping out a lot given some of the improvements we saw last year combined with the amount of guys coming back in 2021. The deth is as solid as it has been in a long time.

Depth on both sides of the ball is fairly solid. There are some drop-offs but I don't see a schedule full of teams that will make Nebraska fold like a cheap suit.

[W] Illinois
[W] Fordham
[W] Buffalo
[L] Oklahoma
[W] Michigan State
[W] Northwestern
[L] Michigan
[W] Minnesota
[W] Purdue
[L] Ohio State
[W] Wisconsin
[L] Iowa

This season is a huge one. I think it is make or break time for Frost. Another losing season and all bets are off. In my opinion it will all boil down to whether or not Martinez can stay healthy. Because in reality we really only have one viable QB on our roster and he is it. Smothers is not a QB and why he is even at that position is a mystery. The dude can’t throw. That seems important to me. Haarberg (sp?) is ok, but green as hell and totally unproven. He looked like shit in that last practice scrimmage we called a Spring Game.

There are two very probable wins on our schedule: Buffalo and Fordham. But there are five probable lossses: OU, OSU, Michigan, Wisky, and Iowa. There are five toss ups: Illinois, Minnesota, Northwestern, Purdue, MSU.

We need to win four of the five toss ups to go bowling. But Martinez has to stay healthy. Which he won’t.
prediction: 5-7
I’m a bit more optimistic. I think there is one uphill climb- OSU, 2 easy ones, the rest tight games. Many will hate to hear this, but we need to jump to the Iowa or NW category- meaning, they are very difficult teams to beat, w/each game a toss up. Nebraska will need some breaks in tight games, but things aren’t that far off if Frost can finally field a disciplined and smart team…glaring deficiencies so far in his tenure here

Last edited:
Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I’m a bit more optimistic. I think there is one uphill climb- OSU, 2 easy ones, the rest tight games. Many will hate to hear this, but we need to jump to the Iowa or NW category- meaning, they are very difficult teams to meet, w/each game a toss up. Nebraska will need some breaks in tight games, but things aren’t that far off if Frost can finally field a disciplined and smart team…glaring deficiencies so far in his tenure hear
Oklahoma will be the best team Nebraska will play.. Start the post over and has it’s good points..

Last edited:
Here's what recent history says:

Fat chance - OSU, Wisconsin, Michigan, Oklahoma. (4 losses)

Should win some, never do - Iowa, Northwestern (2 losses)

50/50 - MSU, Illinois, Purdue, Minnesota (2 losses)

Shitty non-conference teams - Buffalo, Fordham (1 loss)

So if we are true to form this year, it's 3-9. Anything better has to be considered an improvement. 6-6 is attainable if we button down the shitty non-conference teams, win an extra 50/50 game and steal one from the other six teams.

I predict that there will be many more prediction threads between now and the start of the season.

Reactions: scarletred
The Friday Night Pants Pisser is checking in with an 8-4 prediction. I sort of feel like Nebraska gets the monkey off its back with respect to Iowa or Wisconsin but not both. Feel pretty good about the Michigan game but still see a loss. I also believe the Ohio State game will not be a blow out like years' past. The concern is Frost finding a way to lose games he shouldn't.

The offense has a lot of questions but the O-line (although young) will be much improved. Depth behind AM isn't great so it could be an achilles. Excited about the skill positions. If Yant can continue to get good reps and learn the offense, he will be an outstanding combination to one of the speedier guys in the backfield.

I see the D helping out a lot given some of the improvements we saw last year combined with the amount of guys coming back in 2021. The deth is as solid as it has been in a long time.

Depth on both sides of the ball is fairly solid. There are some drop-offs but I don't see a schedule full of teams that will make Nebraska fold like a cheap suit.

[W] Illinois
[W] Fordham
[W] Buffalo
[L] Oklahoma
[W] Michigan State
[W] Northwestern
[L] Michigan
[W] Minnesota
[W] Purdue
[L] Ohio State
[W] Wisconsin
[L] Iowa