ADVERTISEMENT

Too early prediction thread?

Pennsyhusker

Athletic Director
Aug 6, 2009
Harveys Lake, PA
This season is a huge one. I think it is make or break time for Frost. Another losing season and all bets are off. In my opinion it will all boil down to whether or not Martinez can stay healthy. Because in reality we really only have one viable QB on our roster and he is it. Smothers is not a QB and why he is even at that position is a mystery. The dude can’t throw. That seems important to me. Haarberg (sp?) is ok, but green as hell and totally unproven. He looked like shit in that last practice scrimmage we called a Spring Game.

There are two very probable wins on our schedule: Buffalo and Fordham. But there are five probable lossses: OU, OSU, Michigan, Wisky, and Iowa. There are five toss ups: Illinois, Minnesota, Northwestern, Purdue, MSU.

We need to win four of the five toss ups to go bowling. But Martinez has to stay healthy. Which he won’t.
prediction: 5-7

Last edited:
Nebraska will go 6-6. Wins against Buffalo, Fordham, MSU, Purdue, Illinois, and Minnesota. Losses to Iowa, Northwestern, Ohio State, OU, Michigan, and Wisconsin.

This season is a huge one. I think it is make or break time for Frost. Another losing season and all bets are off. In my opinion it will all boil down to whether or not Martinez can stay healthy. Because in reality we really only have one viable QB on our roster and he is it. Smothers is not a QB and why he is even at that position is a mystery. The dude can’t throw. That seems important to me. Haarberg (sp?) is ok, but green as hell and totally unproven. He looked like shit in that last practice scrimmage we called a Spring Game.

There are two very probable wins on our schedule: Buffalo and Fordham. But there are five probable lossses: OU, OSU, Michigan, Wisky, and Iowa. There are five toss ups: Illinois, Minnesota, Northwestern, Purdue, MSU.

We need to win four of the five toss ups to go bowling. But Martinez has to stay healthy. Which he won’t.
I'm actually a bit more optimistic, but agree with you in the first part. It really depends on Martinez and if he can pull the rabbit out of the hat, over and over. This is required of any QB to win games. He has to play like he did once as a Freshman (I forget which game it was) when he lit the other team up like a pinball machine. He's got to be like that every week, and be able to come from behind too.

There is a nice husker vid in the thread called "Frost tweet" or something that might cheer you up..

https://nebraska.forums.rivals.com/threads/coach-frost-tweet.296413/

I'm actually a bit more optimistic, but agree with you in the first part. It really depends on Martinez and if he can pull the rabbit out of the hat, over and over. This is required of any QB to win games. He has to play like he did once as a Freshman (I forget which game it was) when he lit the other team up like a pinball machine. He's got to be like that every week, and be able to come from behind too.

There is a nice husker vid in the thread called "Frost tweet" or something that might cheer you up..

https://nebraska.forums.rivals.com/threads/coach-frost-tweet.296413/
I believe you are referring to the Minnesota game from 2018.

I can’t see five wins. We have the most difficult schedule in the history of college football. Neither Tommie nor Dickie Smothers is a quarterback but we will need some laughs to get through another bad season.

Reactions: ShaggynScooby
I like Nebraska's chances to make a bowl game, if pressed I'd say 6-6.

The game I'm most intrigued with is Michigan, who is probably worse than in 2018, but we'll see how much better than 56-10 we are. I think most of us remember Chase Winovich saying he felt like Nebraska didn't want to be out there once the hitting started that day.

Reactions: ilikenu
All the teams but OU and OSU can be wins.

NU is not losing to good teams, NU is losing to bad teams because NU is bad.

I’m surprised you didn’t refer to us as neby.

6-6. Then they lose the bowl to go 6-7. Moos will have his "expectation" talk with Frost about year 5. Frost will convince Martinez to come back for year 5 to try and break the NCAA all-time turnover and losses by a starting QB record.
DANG ouch 🤕

Reactions: Chuck003

NU is bad because they are mentally weak and ok with losing. It has been that way for a while now. Nothing is going to change until they feel they belong on the same field as opposing teams.

6-6. Then they lose the bowl to go 6-7. Moos will have his "expectation" talk with Frost about year 5. Frost will convince Martinez to come back for year 5 to try and break the NCAA all-time turnover and losses by a starting QB record.
I shouldn't laugh at this, but the visual of Frost telling Martinez, no really the all-time turnover record is within reach, and the losses by a starting QB? Brother please that's in the bag.

FWIW, This obviously will be SF best team, QB play from Martinez not turning the ball over and much improved special team will go along ways to a successful season.

I see only 3 teams Nebraska will not beat and 2 teams more likely comfortable wins, the rest of the schedule are all winnable games and only the Minnesota would be the mostly likely loss of the rest because of the game being played in Minneapolis..

Very apparent that Nebraska will take a big hit if 2AM misses any games because of injury but it is what it is…

FWIW, This obviously will be SF best team, QB play from Martinez not turning the ball over and much improved special team will go along ways to a successful season.

I see only 3 teams Nebraska will not beat and 2 teams more likely comfortable wins, the rest of the schedule are all winnable games and only the Minnesota would be the mostly likely loss of the rest because of the game being played in Minneapolis..

Very apparent that Nebraska will take a big hit if 2AM misses any games because of injury but it is what it is…
If NU is even in turnovers and penalties for 10 out of the 12 games, they will end up with 8-10 wins.

I like Nebraska's chances to make a bowl game, if pressed I'd say 6-6.

The game I'm most intrigued with is Michigan, who is probably worse than in 2018, but we'll see how much better than 56-10 we are. I think most of us remember Chase Winovich saying he felt like Nebraska didn't want to be out there once the hitting started that day.
Yep, ditto Nebraska.

I see this as the must win tossup game for Michigan.

Washington, @Wisconsin, @Penn State, Ohio State, Indiana(!?), nope.

56 points? On the road? With a new QB? Highly doubtful.

I hope its a dogfight.

Go Blue!

This is a Frost team. He has out recruited every B1G West opponent. His staff has trained and developed these men. All this considered, I estimate they achieve 6 wins.

“Developed”….not sure there is much of that going on.

We have 2 for sure wins in Fordham and Buffalo. And 3 for sure losses in OU, Wiscy, Iowa. Wiscy/Iowa are winnable but they will just show up and expect a Frost team do what it does best in beating itself.

5-7 seems likely….should be enough to get Frost fired but he will likely get 2022 because of his buyout and being a native son

Reactions: ShaggynScooby

Just going off superior roster talent we should go either 8-4 or 9-3 (1 toss up game with Wiscy). If Frost & Co. screw thing up again or AM has injury, it could get ugly once again. Of course, if this happens a new excuse will be in place as Frost wants to change the offense again to more of a power offense with a big arm QB that can throw the ball downfield. This new and improved excuse should buy him another 3 years.

I think this is going to be a much, much better football team then others think for a number of reasons. I think we will have a well above average offensive line and the left side of Corcoran, Piper and Jurgens will be big ten good. I think the jump at WR from 2020 will be staggering. As a result of having a legit running game and real Power 5 WR's we are going to see a completely different player in Martinez.

That being said I need to see the Illinois game before I invest much more so I will only make one prediction for 2021. I think we are going to absolutely destroy Illinois. I think total yardage differential will look like Rutgers without the mistakes. I am expecting 30 point game and that happens I am predicting 8-4.

If we win by less than ten or the current spread I will take your prediction of 5-7 and humbly and sadly agree with the folks that think Scott sucks.

I’m taking the under 6 wins at even money. I can easily see a push and 6 wins. Depends on how early and how much time Martinez misses.

How people can be convinced our season hinges on the losingest player in NU history is beyond me.

Nobody gives us a better chance to lose than AM. Most believe our only chance is to have him do as little as possible with the ball in his hands. Simply put, he is not a winning player. There is no more need to wait and see.

The sooner anyone else starts at QB, the results will follow. Hell, we went .500 with Luke, a player most believe shouldn't take snaps anywhere in D1.

I can’t wait until 2022!

Last edited:
How people can be convinced our season hinges on the losingest player in NU history is beyond me.

Nobody gives us a better chance to lose than AM. Most believe our only chance is to have him do as little as possible with the ball in his hands. Simply put, he is not a winning player. There is no more need to wait and see.

The sooner anyone else starts at QB, the results will follow. Hell, we went .500 with Luke, a player most believe shouldn't take snaps anywhere in D1.

I can’t wait until 2022!
No one player can win a game for us, and I don't think one player can lose the game either. Yes, he needs to be better. I think the supporting cast is better for AM.

I think more importantly, the coaching - in all phases of the game - needs to be better. I'm hopeful that they will be.

No one player can win a game for us, and I don't think one player can lose the game either. Yes, he needs to be better. I think the supporting cast is better for AM.

I think more importantly, the coaching - in all phases of the game - needs to be better. I'm hopeful that they will be.
a quarterback with the will to win can absolutely raise a whole above the sum of its parts.

I am expecting 4 wins this season and will be pleasantly surprised with any more than 5. I, too, hope the coaching improves this year so we can actually compete for something when we finally raise the anchor (bye, #2!) and set sail.

2021 is already a wash in my mind. the first play of the spring game told me the staff believes the same.

I think the season hinges on improved OL play, even more than on AM's play. We have everyone back on defense and should be vastly improved at the skill positions. But if our OL play isn't better AM and the other skill people, still won't look good. The OL has started out poorly and improved over the course of the season every year under Frost and Austin. We need them to be good out of the gate, but they are young and have a history of starting slow, so I'm nervous. I still think this is a much improved team in every phase and will predict 8-4.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT