ADVERTISEMENT

Too early 2022 baseball

sui111

Senior
Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
We lose a lot of excellent leadership off the Husker baseball team after this year.

Who do you see being players to fill the gaps left by Acker, Hallmark,Roskam, Hroch, Schwellenbach?

We lose a lot of excellent leadership off the Husker baseball team after this year.

Who do you see being players to fill the gaps left by Acker, Hallmark,Roskam, Hroch, Schwellenbach?

Im assuming Hallmark will come back, Steil at 1B, Matthews at SS, Banjoff in a corner OF spot, Perry in the rotation.

Im assuming Hallmark will come back, Steil at 1B, Matthews at SS, Banjoff in a corner OF spot, Perry in the rotation.
There will be a few coming back and the only one guaranteed that isn't would be Schwelly. I could very well see Acker, Hallmark and just an outside chance of Roskam coming back

Reactions: donahues17
I could very well see Acker, Hallmark and just an outside chance of Roskam coming back

What? Acker & Roskam have no eligibility left. Same with Hroch, Hagge & Foster. All 5 are done. Hallmark & Schanaman may go the Palensky route and sign for $20K, as I don't think either will get drafted, at this moment. Griff may as well.

Schwellenbach & Povich are the 2 I think we'll lose to the draft with eligibility remaining. Bunz is an outside possibility.

What? Acker & Roskam have no eligibility left. Same with Hroch, Hagge & Foster. All 5 are done. Hallmark & Schanaman may go the Palensky route and sign for $20K, as I don't think either will get drafted, at this moment. Griff may as well.

Schwellenbach & Povich are the 2 I think we'll lose to the draft with eligibility remaining. Bunz is an outside possibility.
Freebee year as spring sports defaulted to next year. Giving them the free year that the Football team is gonna be enjoying this fall with it's 6 seniors returning for a 6th year.

Freebee year as spring sports defaulted to next year. Giving them the free year that the Football team is gonna be enjoying this fall with it's 6 seniors returning for a 6th year.

No, spring sports aren't given a free year.

Reactions: trwebe
Any "6th year seniors" on the football team are so because they redshirted at some point. They will only be playing their 5th seasons on the field. The same as the baseball seniors you mentioned. For baseball and other spring sports, the "free" season was 2020. It was the one canceled 30% of the way through.

Reactions: saluno22 and sui111
Any thoughts on what our weekend rotation will look like next year? It would be nice to be a little deeper as a pitching staff than we are currently. Will we look for a grad transfer again like Hroch?

Tough to know for a 2022 weekend rotation, a lot can happen between now & late August. Caleb Bennett was released of his scholarship a couple weeks ago, which was a large %, so I assume there are a couple grad transfers and/or JUCO guys in the fire.

Hallmark would probably do himself a favor coming back. Too many strikeouts that an extra year could help cleanup. However, I’m sure every kid has their price in mind before they enter the draft or free agency.

Tough to know for a 2022 weekend rotation, a lot can happen between now & late August. Caleb Bennett was released of his scholarship a couple weeks ago, which was a large %, so I assume there are a couple grad transfers and/or JUCO guys in the fire.
Thanks for that nugget of info.

Rotation will be a mix of Perry, Emmet Olson, and Christo. Shay will be a swing man next year who could start but also chew up a lot of innings out of the pen.

Reactions: k9_r
Rotation will be a mix of Perry, Emmet Olson, and Christo. Shay will be a swing man next year who could start but also chew up a lot of innings out of the pen.
Interesting, I could see it but that’s assuming Hood does in fact show up. I still think they’ll find another transfer of some sort to add to the competition as well.

Interesting, I could see it but that’s assuming Hood does in fact show up. I still think they’ll find another transfer of some sort to add to the competition as well.
I have heard Christo wants 2 million and his Dad wants him to go to college. Wouldn’t surprise me if he does not get drafted, a la Alex Gordon. Family has the finances and I don’t think they will budge on the asking price. My guess is he goes to college. If you look at MLB pitchers anymore, the college route seems to be the standard anymore outside of Kershaw.

I’m guessing you mean Christo and not Hood. I think Hood will get some action in midweek games next year as well as Jaxon Brockett.

Reactions: RobsterMobster
I have heard Christo wants 2 million and his Dad wants him to go to college. Wouldn’t surprise me if he does not get drafted, a la Alex Gordon. Family has the finances and I don’t think they will budge on the asking price. My guess is he goes to college. If you look at MLB pitchers anymore, the college route seems to be the standard anymore outside of Kershaw.

I’m guessing you mean Christo and not Hood. I think Hood will get some action in midweek games next year as well as Jaxon Brockett.
Correct on Christo. Been a long day.

Reactions: sklarbodds
Article from D1 Baseball

Jake Bunz, LHP– Tall, strong-legged reliever powered 89-91 mph fastballs to the plate from a high three-quarter slot with good down plane. A hard 76-78 mph curve was his top pitch. Tight rotation with 2400+ spin rates. Induced plenty of bad swings, especially against left handed hitters during his two inning, four strikeout relief appearance. Bunz is a Day Three (rounds 11-20) prospect for this year’s draft.

Cade Povich, LHP– The Husker ace took the mound on Friday night, grinding through four innings without his best stuff. Loose-armed and athletic, Povich stands 6-foot-3, 195 pounds and is likely to throw significantly harder down the road. He sat 89-92 on this look, but with good arm speed and an easy delivery with moderate effort he should improve at least one grade (45 FB to 55 on the pro scale) and 3-5 mph on the top end. There was more angle than natural life to his heater, although it did show occasional tail to his armside and spun in the 2100-2225 range. He typically features a low-80s changeup as his top offspeed offering, but on this night he opted for a pair of breaking pitches as his main secondary weapons. He mixed a 73-76 mph curveball and 78-81 slider. His slider projects better for me better than his curve in the future. Povich also showed a 81-85 mph cutter while pitching for the Savannah Bananas last summer in the Coastal Plain league, but that pitch was not seen during this outing. Down the road he will be better off sticking to just one instead of mixing and morphing. As a high performing college lefty (5-1, 3.12 ERA, 66.1 IP, 18 BB, 70 SO) who has a loose arm and good upside, Povich projects to be selected around the 4th round.

Shay Schanaman, RHP– Past reports of the 6-foot, 195-pound two-way talent were centered more in the 88-91 mph velocity range. However, on this recent look Schanaman took that to a whole new level with a bolt up to 95 while working in the 92-94 band throughout the second inning. He settled in at 90-92 for the remainder of his 5.1 IP, 92-pitch outing. His main weapon is a cutter/power slider in the 82-85 mph range and he showed the ability to expand to his glove side when needed for the situation. He will also mix in a slower version (80-81) of his slider early in counts as a get me over. His changeup is his fourth pitch and rarely used. However, he got a big double play ball from a left handed hitter to squash a potential rally in the third. The batter, Connor Pohl, had homered earlier in the game off a Schanaman fastball. With more stuff than performance this season (4-2, 5.91 ERA, 56.1 IP, 56 H, 11 HBP, 22 BB, 61 SO) Schanaman has the talent to be considered on Day Three.

Spencer Schwellenbach, RHP, Nebraska– With a two-run advantage going into the eighth inning on Friday, the two-way Husker star headed to the bullpen for warmups before returning to shortstop in the bottom half. Leading off the ninth, Schwellenbach ambushed a fastball and deposited it deep to left center field, giving the Huskers a three run lead and dampening the hopes of the dozen or so scouts in the stands who were hoping to watch him pitch the ninth. However, to our delight, Schwellenbach took the mound in the bottom half and it was on. A first pitch fastball at 92 mph was a bit disappointing for this #HeatSheeter, but he soon got hot and peppered the strike zone with a barrage of 95-97 bullets. Repeating an athletic delivery with a high leg lift, the low-effort, quick-armed righty made easy work of the Hoosiers for a 1-2-3 ninth and earned his sixth save of the season on just 13 pitches. He varied the shape of his low-80s slider from a short, quick darter to larger slurve-shape as a chase pitch with two strikes. It grades as an above average to plus pitch on the pro scale. Schwelly also showed very good feel for a sinking changeup in warmups, but did not throw in the game. Less than 24 hours later, Schwellenbach was back on the bump for the Huskers, earning his second save of the series and seventh of the season. His stuff was similar, once again topping at 97, but his slider was down a half grade from what he showed the previous evening. Overall, he remains a top three round draft talent as a pitcher.

ADVERTISEMENT