ADVERTISEMENT

Tony White's Defense

I actually question whether that 3-3-5 will work in this conference as it's member teams are giants and deal with power and running the ball. The 3-3-5 was created to stop the spread, not go up against smashmouth and giants.

I actually question whether that 3-3-5 will work in this conference as its member teams are giants and deal with power and running the ball. The 3-3-5 was created to stop the spread, not go up against smashmouth and giants.
I don’t think it will be a a true 3-3-5. But maybe that is why Hausman left?

Is there a limit to the number of analysts on this forum in relation to full time staff members? You know, kinda like on College football teams? Laughing

I actually question whether that 3-3-5 will work in this conference as it's member teams are giants and deal with power and running the ball. The 3-3-5 was created to stop the spread, not go up against smashmouth and giants.
It would probably be a super defense in the Big 12. 5 dbs? Or is the rover a bigger guy more like a LB?

Reactions: Wyldcard
What’s he wearing?
Looks like a zippered part in front where he could put his laminated sheets for when they are installing something different. That way he has it for referencing other tweaks, but doesn't have to carry it around.

I always told my teams, "it's not the uniform, it's what you put in 'em."

Brian Urlacher was a rover in this scheme in college. Can be a faster backer. I would think that role might fit Reimers.
That'd probably suit him better as he's a fast lb but a bit undersized as you have pointed out before.

In that YouTube link it looks like Syracuse has maybe three guys on the field who weigh more than 220 lbs. I'm not sure that is going to work for the jumbo B1G West or whatever we are going to be called. But I also assume any DC worth their salt is going to be able to look at the competition and adjust. Of course I say that despite a terrible track record of non-adjusting coaches in Lincoln over the last 20 years.

This 3-3-5 may work better in the ACC but I’m a little concerned how effective it will work with some of the power running teams we face in the B1G..

No question that Rhule hired a very knowledgeable coach that appears to be on the cutting edge of this kid of defense..

Reading some the responses from the Syracuse fan base they’re very upset losing Tony White to Nebraska and feel it’s tremendous loss for them..

I believe the first question that will be asked at his press conference is going to be how he will adapt this defense to the B1G. I am going to bet he doesn't say "they better get us now" or "they'll have to adapt to us" :p
This is not apples for apples, but I looked at the 2017 thru 2019 years at Baylor and how the defense fared in a couple of categories as each year progressed.

In 2017 Baylor had 23 sacks and 83 Tackles for loss;
In 2018 Baylor had 25 sacks and 69 Tackles for loss;
In 2019 Baylor had 46 sacks, and 102 Tackles for loss.

At Nebraska for years 2021-2022 (I excluded 2020 due to a shortened season).

In 2021 NU had 20 sacks and 66 Tackles for loss; (With all the 6th-year Seniors).
In 2022 NU had 21 sacks, and 60 Tackles for loss.

The doubling of sacks by Baylor from 2017 to 2019 could be from a schedule or more likely the kids becoming more familiar with the defensive scheme. It is the type of trend a person would want to see though.

White's 2022 season is a mixed bag but looking from where they started prior to his reign until now, they've made huge improvements. The rough patch this year was a 5-game losing streak where they lost to 2 ranked teams and were ranked in 3 of them. They got scored on, a lot. On the other hand, they played some decent teams and one.

If anyone was wondering what his D would like in the B1G, they beat Purdue and play Minn this year in a bowl game.

White's 2022 season is a mixed bag but looking from where they started prior to his reign until now, they've made huge improvements. The rough patch this year was a 5-game losing streak where they lost to 2 ranked teams and were ranked in 3 of them. They got scored on, a lot. On the other hand, they played some decent teams and one.

If anyone was wondering what his D would like in the B1G, they beat Purdue and play Minn this year in a bowl game.

White won’t be coaching against Minnesota in the Pinstripe bowl..

With the expanding B1G, teams are going to need a defense that can be schemed for a broad range of offenses. Need to be able to stop USC as well as Michigan.

I'm thinking this is a great hire. Of course, I know next to nothing. Just thought you all deserved to hear my opinion. You're welcome.

This 3-3-5 may work better in the ACC but I’m a little concerned how effective it will work with some of the power running teams we face in the B1G..

No question that Rhule hired a very knowledgeable coach that appears to be on the cutting edge of this kid of defense..

Reading some the responses from the Syracuse fan base they’re very upset losing Tony White to Nebraska and feel it’s tremendous loss for them..
The defense was invented in the 70s or 80s when the spread didn’t really exist and football was way more run oriented.

Maybe we won’t be #1 in rush defense but I don’t think this defense survives four decades if it was complete crap against the run.

Finally, someone making sense and asking the tough question.

Finally, someone making sense and asking the tough question.

Apparently more than just someONE.

This is why I stopped paying. Paid starting Day 1 of Rivals but I'm pretty sure I'm done paying!
Too many idiots now!
Might wanna go look in the mirror mr super duper insider extraordinaire! Where's Aranda that you guaranteed?

By the looks of it, don't see Aranda's name anywhere associated with DONU!

Have a nice day BS fake insider! 🤣 🤣Sick

Last edited:
The 3-3-5 was actually created in 1991 (way before the spread) by Jo Lee Dunn the Memhis coach to go up against USC who was a pro style O.
They beat USC 21-10.

The 3-3-5 was actually created in 1991 (way before the spread) by Jo Lee Dunn the Memhis coach to go up against USC who was a pro style O.
They beat USC 21-10.
That ain't the B1G and the PAC is not even close to the size of these dudes in this one and this a power conference. Dirty in the tranches and running the ball right down your throat. 3-3-5 will not work as a base defense here.

Reactions: cornhustler
ADVERTISEMENT