ADVERTISEMENT

Tony White -DC syracuse

Gotta say this. The defense that gave us the most fits on the high school level was a well run 3-3 defense if disguised well. Never had a clue what lb were going to do. Lot's of slants and hole plugging. Bad because we pulled linemen 60-80 % of the time
As with the 3-4 or 4-3, there are different variants of a 3-3-5. I think someone mentioned above that Iowa St also runs a 3-3-5. But they typically drop 8 in zone coverage and keep 3 deep safeties. If I remember correctly, Long's 3-3-5 was a more attacking style. There were times when the free safety would be in a single high and the other two safeties would drop toward the box. From that same look, they could also drop the middle safety down to the box to help with run support, and drop the other two safeties in a cover 2. The biggest difference is that Iowa St rarely, if ever, had more than 6 in the box, where Long's style would almost always have at least 7. Long's style would be a bit more vulnerable in the deep middle. And like I said earlier, the Iowa St version almost always has 3 deep and works to keep thing in front of them. It would appear having 7+ in the box, would work against the run heavy teams, but not as well against teams with a really good passing game. Although I am sure you can adjust and keep 3 deep and play zone under against teams like Purdue. I will be interested in looking at some websites that talk about the 3-3-5.

As with the 3-4 or 4-3, there are different variants of a 3-3-5. I think someone mentioned above that Iowa St also runs a 3-3-5. But they typically drop 8 in zone coverage and keep 3 deep safeties. If I remember correctly, Long's 3-3-5 was a more attacking style. There were times when the free safety would be in a single high and the other two safeties would drop toward the box. From that same look, they could also drop the middle safety down to the box to help with run support, and drop the other two safeties in a cover 2. The biggest difference is that Iowa St rarely, if ever, had more than 6 in the box, where Long's style would almost always have at least 7. Long's style would be a bit more vulnerable in the deep middle. And like I said earlier, the Iowa St version almost always has 3 deep and works to keep thing in front of them. It would appear having 7+ in the box, would work against the run heavy teams, but not as well against teams with a really good passing game. Although I am sure you can adjust and keep 3 deep and play zone under against teams like Purdue. I will be interested in looking at some websites that talk about the 3-3-5.
You know exactly what you are talking about. I call the ISU one the umbrella 3-3-5 it basically just has a hyper light box to combat air raid offenses.

Reactions: BleedRed78
3-3-5 has been around forever, long before air raids and the like. You get a version of it every time you bring in a NB. I think for B1G play, it is better to think of it is a gender-fluid 3-4 or 4-3 where one of the LBs is a monster back :p One of the biggest knocks on our D and noted by Urban was we don't disguise coverages or schemes. Guess what this does?

This is all I ran my last 5 years coaching. I loved it and installing it was fast (for us a the HS level).

We did run some zone behind it, some are calling it umbrella coverage and that is pretty much what it is but usually we ran man behind it.

We went from giving up a ton of points and yards to shutting teams down basically within a week. I hate blitzing but we "blitzed" like crazy out of it, which is to say 5 man pressure and it worked wonders.

The guy who took over for me when I stopped coaching FB brings a ton of heat with it and it is really effective, especially against the run.

There it is. Let’s compare an in-state player to an all-time great. Meanwhile there are about a dozen hyped out of state recruits who never played a down and transferred to nowhere.
I will spell it out for you. I wish he would stay. He looks like he is going to be a good player. However, it doesn't appear that he is a freak that isn't replaceable. The level of handwringing over his leaving is overdone. There it is. You get it now? FFS it really isn't a controversial opinion. And if he goes to Iowa, I will be hoping that every single husker finds him on the field and takes their best shot at him.

I will spell it out for you. I wish he would stay. He looks like he is going to be a good player. However, it doesn't appear that he is a freak that isn't replaceable. The level of handwringing over his leaving is overdone. There it is. You get it now? FFS it really isn't a controversial opinion. And if he goes to Iowa, I will be hoping that every single husker finds him on the field and takes their best shot at him.
Calm down. Nobody said he was a freak. But other than that it appears you agree with the rest of us.

Hausmann shows promise and would be a nice kid to keep on the roster. Also, there is equivalent talent in the portal. Hausmann may not have a spot on the roster in a couple of weeks.

Reactions: frostonthegrass
He still may be the next head coach there. I know a lot of Nebraska fans long for the days of assistant coaches sticking around for 20 years or whatever, but I would rather replace coaches that are getting poached by other schools especially P5 schools.
If that happens, it means he was awesome as an assistant for us. I have no issue with it.

Hausmann shows promise and would be a nice kid to keep on the roster. Also, there is equivalent talent in the portal. Hausmann may not have a spot on the roster in a couple of weeks.
"In a couple of weeks"? You are optimistic. Players are just starting to flood into the Nebraska program.

So were the defensive position coaches approved by this guy before he was official?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT