ADVERTISEMENT

Tony White -DC syracuse

Interesting. The Cuse runs a 3-3-5 guy right now. I wonder if that is what he will plan to run here too.

Reactions: leodisflowers
In your opinion is this good or bad news?
I don't hate it. He is a very good recruiter. From El Paso Texas, played at UCLA, coached at New Mexico and San Diego St for Rocky Long. Long is pretty good defensive mind. He has put quite a few dudes in the NFL. Not sure a 3-3-5 will work in the Big 10, unless one of the 5 is a bigger hybrid LB/Safety that can cover in the pass and fill in the run.

Not Tuco but I don't see tons of data on his D's since he hasn't been the DC for very long but of course, what you read is all positive. Yes, 3-3-5 would be interesting in the B1G for sure.

Pretty good hire IMO. Syracuse's defense has certainly gotten a lot better under him. They were really damn good the first half of this season, not so much the last half but the terrible Syracuse offense didn't do him any favors.

I assume he was coaching 3-3-5 because he was in the ACC, do not see how that could work with our guys and our conference, not yet anyway....but it requires the kind of players Rhule likes so maybe he'll bring it here maybe not, or install it after a season or two.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Just ignore the ND, FSU, and Wake games this year. 😁

But focus on that shutout of mighty Wagner.
eye-roll-robert-downey-jr.gif

I don't hate it. He is a very good recruiter. From El Paso Texas, played at UCLA, coached at New Mexico and San Diego St for Rocky Long. Long is pretty good defensive mind. He has put quite a few dudes in the NFL. Not sure a 3-3-5 will work in the Big 10, unless one of the 5 is a bigger hybrid LB/Safety that can cover in the pass and fill in the run.
I spent a little time last night watching the 2020 Sugar Bowl between Baylor and Georgia when Rhule was there.

One thing that impressed the shit outta me was the way their back 7 was flying to the ball.
They could all run, and # 3 was a hitting machine.

It was a condensed 20-minute video. Georgia won (24-16)?, but the Baylor QB and his backup must have had 3-4 passes intercepted. I think Baylor got down 17-0 or so at halftime and came back. (Spotty on my details).

I was totally impressed with their defensive team speed and how the secondary did in run support. A ton of pursuit and a ton of gang tackling.

Interesting. The Cuse runs a 3-3-5 guy right now. I wonder if that is what he will plan to run here too.
That's what Rhule's DC ran at Carolina. Interesting stuff and the 3-3 is awesome with regards to smoke and mirrors. Will be interesting how its tweaked against DT and Regular pro sets. Will the OLB's be bigger bodied dudes than what you might see in the Big 12? Or will they dial down a stack backer as a standup DE? Will they slide to over and under fronts or use a bear front or stack front exclusively. Lots of things can be done when you have 8 moveable parts on the edge and 2nd and 3rd level. Similar to the 3-4 I guess but typically a 3-4 plays a lot of 2 high safety and the 3-3 plays single high.

In 2 years how many traditional Big Ten offenses will be left?
Iowa
Illinois
Michigan
Minnesota
Northwestern
Michigan State?
Rutgers?

7 out of 16? once you include UCLA and USC in a couple of years. That hybrid model may be a nod to the future of the conference.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT