ADVERTISEMENT

Tony Fair very interested in Nebraska

Larry Hagman's Liver

Defensive Coordinator
Nov 18, 2004
In Transit
SCARLET ALERT: TONY FAIR HAS NOT COMMITTED TO NU

But it's not difficult to read the tea leaves based on his praise of Frost (called him a young Nick Saban) and expressed desire to win a championship. Our competition is Indiana and UAB, so looking good there too. And it appears he's being pressed for a decision based on the "Decision coming soon?" article.

“I’m looking for a school that can compete for the national title," Fair said. "I don’t want to play just to play at the next level, I’m trying to compete to win. I want to know that I can get up there and at least have a chance to get a starting position. If I have a chance, I’m going to take it because I’ll take full advantage of the workouts and training that we get to get ready for the season. I need to know that we can compete and the man next to me can do his job. I want everyone on the front four or front three to be there working.”

He has 5 pewter stars according to Rivals but you can't coach 6-3, 330 and it sounds like he has a motor. Literally huge get that should help bolster nose tackle behind Stoltenberg.

f4njjqbe9ejtzfmkio66

Tony Fair

Last edited:
According to my non-existent sources. But it's not difficult to read the tea leaves based on his praise of Frost (called him a young Nick Saban) and expressed desire to win a championship. Our competition is Indiana and UAB, so looking good there too. And it appears he's being pressed for a decision based on the "Decision coming soon?" article.

“I’m looking for a school that can compete for the national title," Fair said. "I don’t want to play just to play at the next level, I’m trying to compete to win. I want to know that I can get up there and at least have a chance to get a starting position. If I have a chance, I’m going to take it because I’ll take full advantage of the workouts and training that we get to get ready for the season. I need to know that we can compete and the man next to me can do his job. I want everyone on the front four or front three to be there working.”

He has 5 pewter stars according to Rivals but you can't coach 6-3, 330 and it sounds like he has a motor. Literally huge get that should help bolster nose tackle behind Stoltenberg.

f4njjqbe9ejtzfmkio66

Tony Fair

Those sources are better than most here. :)

More details about Fair...

He's a mechanical engineering major based on his Pima CC profile, so intelligence should be a strength. I wondered why he went juco until I found this:

The South Bend native was at Indiana State in the fall of 2015 and spent that first year as redshirt, but by the end of the season the Sycamores told him he could no longer play football for them.

“I enrolled at Indiana State and redshirted my freshman season, which was the 2015 season,” Fair said about his time at ISU. “Towards the end of that season I suffered a concussion and they deemed me unable to play even though that was the only concussion I have ever had. So the next season I sat out and I was manager that was on scholarship. After that I decided to transfer to Pima after one of my teammates from high school, Haki Woods, told me that I should go out there and play for them.”

These responses also suggest a culture fit:

Career aspirations: "Engineer."
Influential people in your life: "My mom, girlfriend, dad, God, family and brother."
First lesson you would teach about football: "Dedication and will."

Last edited:
Reactions: huskerfan1414
I hope he’s N. He’s literally the perfect build for a Nose Tackle. Not too tall, and built like a brick shithouse.

Agreed. If the height and weight numbers are accurate, there isn't another guy built like him on the roster currently. He also had 98 tackles in nine games last year, with a sack and seven tackles for loss. I'm sure the competition was underwhelming, but it appears he can make plays at his size and not just occupy space/absorb blockers as needed.

I believe he was an All-American last season for JUCOs.

Not seeing him on the list linked below, but I'm guessing he received some sort of honors with those tackle numbers. If he were a JUCO AA, he'd have more Power 5 programs chasing after him and 4ish gold stars by his name.

It was nice seeing Greg Bell's name right there on the first team offense though. Smokin

2017 NJCAA Football All-America Teams

Ask and ye shall receive! Great News!

I mean, pure speculation on my part, but even though Indiana is the home-state school "he grew up wanting to play for," I just can't see him going there based on his quotes. He had great things to say about the IU offer of course, and I'm sure he meant it, but that was before the NU offer arrived. If he really wants to play big-boy football with a chance to win a championship, I don't see how he can choose the Hoosiers or UAB.

See me Will Honas made the AA defense list as well. We got some solid Juco guys coming in. What’s up with that Chester Graves (hopefully i got name right). The 5 star DE?? Looks like he’s got us up there with others. Any chance on this guy?

No. I thought my first sentence gave that away.

But I firmly believe he will choose NU given his stated goals and admiration for Frost.
See me Will Honas made the AA defense list as well. We got some solid Juco guys coming in. What’s up with that Chester Graves (hopefully i got name right). The 5 star DE?? Looks like he’s got us up there with others. Any chance on this guy?

Academic issues and SEC wannabe. If they come calling that is where he will go. Just like how Heinrick already decided to leave the state before Frost was hired.

And that was a good haul from JUCO last cycle. We already saw 3 of them making an impact in the spring game.

Chances are pretty good w ed hit on all of the JUCO from that group.

Reactions: TheBeav815
Something is not making sense.

-2015 RS
-2016 OUT
-2017 JUCO
-2018 JUCO

* So I guess 2016 was a Med RS or whatever, just doesn't count on the football clock? And he'd becoming in as a 5th year Jr?

Also, if grades aren't the issue, why not just have him come in, in 2018? If grades are not the issue, why waste another year of eligibility @ a JUCO. He can come in, in 2018 right? There obviously is going be room for him. Stanley Jean Baptiste did that back in the day.

-2015 RS
-2016 OUT
-2017 JUCO
-2018 JUCO

* So I guess 2016 was a Med RS or whatever, just doesn't count on the football clock? And he'd becoming in as a 5th year Jr?

Also, if grades aren't the issue, why not just have him come in, in 2018? If grades are not the issue, why waste another year of eligibility @ a JUCO. He can come in, in 2018 right? There obviously is going be room for him. Stanley Jean Baptiste did that back in the day.

2 for 2 from my understanding. 2014 graduate. The school he went to originally held him out. He was unable to pay for the cost to release his trancscripts when he was younger.

Reactions: spinner4

-2015 RS
-2016 OUT
-2017 JUCO
-2018 JUCO

I also believe the 4-2-4 rules apply. If an athlete starts at a 4 year school, then transfers to a JUCO, they have to get their Associates before they can transfer back to a 4 year school. Not that he shouldn't have his Associates by now, but depending on grades, classes and transfer credits in 2015 and 2016, it could be possible.

Reactions: spinner4
Not sure how I feel about this. Kid looks good on tape but are we hurting for NT help? Taking a JUCO NT screams immediate help. Hmmm.. I guess we'll see. I really do like his film and his desire to get better and win titles.

We lose 2 next year.

This guy could play immediately. Giving time for our younger DTs to develop.

And you can never have too many bodies for the DL. Especially when you face what some call the toughest schedule in the nation, and numerous teams on your schedule made minced meat out of our DL last year.

Reactions: jeans15
Not sure how I feel about this. Kid looks good on tape but are we hurting for NT help? Taking a JUCO NT screams immediate help. Hmmm.. I guess we'll see. I really do like his film and his desire to get better and win titles.

You may want to look at the depth chart.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT