ADVERTISEMENT

Tommy Armstrong

jeans15

Head Coach
Feb 23, 2011
So Tommy completed 64% of his passes 8 to 10 yds for 8 TDs 2 INTS.

He through 61 deep passes at 31% but 8TD 2 INT

But was he was 41% from 11 to 20 yds 6 TDs 8 INTs

Seems to me Tommy didn't have time enough to observe the field. Or at least felt he didn't. Locking on to receivers was a problem as well.

And I have always felt his height makes the swing passes a little tough. Like on the pass to Abdullah against Michigan St., that flew over AA's head. There was a lineman engaged with a DE on that play. He throws the quick throw to the receiver pretty well. He leads the receivers on the throw, sometimes good others not so much. Depends if he and the receiver are on the same page.

But only throwing 2 INTs all year in the short passing game is a lot better than I thought, and encouraging.

I think if we could just make Tommy a consistent QB, that we could have a really good season.

I guess I'm wondering what was considered a deep pass. I'm not trying to stir the crap but it looks like anything over 20 yards was considered a long pass.That means he only completed 19 passes out of 61 that went for more then 20 yards. IMO that is a horrible stat(percent wise). It also looks like 11 yards to 20 yards w/ 6 td's & 8 int's isn't anything to brag about.

Remember, those passes also consider ATC(after the catch).I'm not a QB coach but even I've seen that he doesn't look through his progressions. I like TA, don't get me wrong, but the more I see these type of stats the more I hope someone else breaks through OR TA can be coached up.

It`s easy for fans to blame the QB and TA shares some but not all of the blame. The OL at times was just awful and could`t block
an old man with a walker. Plus good old Beck had some atrocious play calling that Eli would be hard pressed to achieve success.
Add the three together and you have substandard completion percentages.

My biggest gripe with OL was that our QB had to worry about where the snap was going to be.

That has to he a gimme fundamental IMO.

I think it is getting late in the game for coaching him up significantly, he's been at it quite awhile now. I'm thinking he is at or near his potential. Which isn't terrible, and as mentioned the passing troubles weren't all his doing. Just think he is going to be solid, not super.

Reactions: huskermike20
His struggles weren't affiliated so much with distance of intermediate to deep routes as much as reading coverages and going through progressions.

Tommy's best attribute is actually the vertical passing game. That kid executes the Go route of of play action as well as any QB in the country.

However, he often chose the go route when the Receiver didn't make the same read. Secondly, if an opponent isn't biting on play action, it can be largely ineffective.

Tommy also excelled on throws up the seam in the 15 to 30 yard variety. Westerkamp and him had great rapport on these routes. However, by midseason, opponents did a nice job of taking that away.

Tim Beck's passing skelly is like an ever evolving cluster fvck of chaos. At times, it has a backyard feel. The QB and pass catchers have 3 or 4 different routes on each play based on the coverage. If you're not on the same page, out can get bogged down quick.

Some of that was the fault of the system, but Tommy also often tried to go for a home run without any resemblance of an open receiver.

I do think Tommy will benefit from a more structured passing game. And getting tutelage. From Danny Langsdorf compared to Joe Ganz will be like sleeping with the Prom Queen after a few years of banging the snaggle toothed, one eyed fat girl next door.

Pass protection is always a concern...

His struggles weren't affiliated so much with distance of intermediate to deep routes as much as reading coverages and going through progressions.

Tommy's best attribute is actually the vertical passing game. That kid executes the Go route of of play action as well as any QB in the country.

However, he often chose the go route when the Receiver didn't make the same read. Secondly, if an opponent isn't biting on play action, it can be largely ineffective.

Tommy also excelled on throws up the seam in the 15 to 30 yard variety. Westerkamp and him had great rapport on these routes. However, by midseason, opponents did a nice job of taking that away.

Tim Beck's passing skelly is like an ever evolving cluster fvck of chaos. At times, it has a backyard feel. The QB and pass catchers have 3 or 4 different routes on each play based on the coverage. If you're not on the same page, out can get bogged down quick.

Some of that was the fault of the system, but Tommy also often tried to go for a home run without any resemblance of an open receiver.

I do think Tommy will benefit from a more structured passing game. And getting tutelage. From Danny Langsdorf compared to Joe Ganz will be like sleeping with the Prom Queen after a few years of banging the snaggle toothed, one eyed fat girl next door.

Pass protection is always a concern...
More like her lazy eyed, club foot, man hands having sister with the waxy ears and weak bladder but I get your point.

I'd like to know those same numbers for TM3. TA4 may be superior in the long pass, but I feel that TM3 was better in all other aspects of the pass game. He seemed pretty good on those middle routes even with a horrible OLine and crappy play-calling from Beck. I'd also like to see a breakdown of throwing to the TE. Beck has taking a lot of heat for forgetting about TE's these last two years, but it seemed to me that TM3 was able to successfully find the TE. So it always felt more like a TA4 problem to me

Good post guys.....I'm just a TA fan.......I just wish from game to game we knew what we were gonna get.

Reactions: huskerj12
I'm not really a huge fan or a harsh critic of Armstrong, but I feel like most of NU's mid-range passes were very low percentage for most college QBs. Put a Division I tight end in the game and throw him the ball over the middle once in a while - that would bolster the mid-range percentage.

To me Beck always seemed obsessed with throwing the ball sideways, and never really had a QB would could do that for more than 8-10 yards at a time.

nha5gj-b88287852z.120141227224348000goa756hc.10.jpg

^^^^ This was the root of Tommy's woes^^^^

546b8c196f4f1.image.jpg
Actually this was the root problem with Tommy. He's now gone and i expect to see better play all around.

Oh give me a break. TM3 had much better results with mid-range passes and tight ends with the same crappy OL, same crappy BO, same crappy route running.
At some point, some of this has to rest with TA4. He needs to improve on this aspect or he will eventually be replaced by somebody who can 'git-r-done'.

Oh give me a break. TM3 had much better results with mid-range passes and tight ends The same crappy OL, same crappy BO, same crappy route running.
At some point, some of this has to rest with TA4. He needs to improve on this aspect or he will eventually be replaced by somebody who can 'git-r-done'.
One name... Mark Pelini. This explains everything you need to know. He never should of recieved a scholarship from Nebraska. Second, He's the STARTER??? So when did fat midgets become part of our Pipeline??? Tommy is in good hands now.

One name... Mark Pelini. This explains everything you need to know. He never should of recieved a scholarship from Nebraska. Second, He's the STARTER??? So when did fat midgets become part of our Pipeline??? Tommy is in good hands now.
As much as I couldn't stand TM and his inability to throw to a guy further than ten yards, I have to agree with this statement. Mark Pelini had no business starting for 90% of D-1 schools, let alone Nebraska. Both of his "backups" performed far greater than he ever did. But he knew the system. Sure he did.

The fat midget comment was out of line. So i apologize to Mr. Pelini. I'm gonna leave my comment up because I'm not gonna run from it. Like Taylor Mark Pelini was put in a no win situation because of nepotism by Bo. And where there is smoke there's fire. Our play was severely hampered by our coach. And this was painfully obvious against good teams. Tommy definitely needs to step up with this golden opportunity. I honestly believe he will look more poised and confident this year. And that will translate to better play.

ADVERTISEMENT