ADVERTISEMENT

Tommy Armstrong is throwing for over 63 percent.

Dare I say he's playing the best football of his career right now? Sans a rough stretch in the 2nd quarter against BYU (and trust me, those bad quarters can lose a game - probably more than the hail mary did), I think Tommy is playing at a very high level. He's taking care of the ball, completing at a high percentage and has a nice TD:INT ratio.

Let's see how he fares against the Canes on the road. If he keeps up this rate, he could be onto a special season.

Just curious - based on what we know to date - would posters take the Tommy that we know to date or Taylor Martinez if we could pick a starter right now?

TA is doing better than I thought he would. Would be great if he has continual improvement as we go through the season.

I may be the only person who puts more credit towards the scheme/style of offense than direct coaching, but I think contributions come from both areas. Therefore, I think TM would have benefitted in this style of offense/coaching, at least the passing portion of the game. I would take TA as he is our current qb.

TA is doing better than I thought he would. Would be great if he has continual improvement as we go through the season.

I may be the only person who puts more credit towards the scheme/style of offense than direct coaching, but I think contributions come from both areas. Therefore, I think TM would have benefitted in this style of offense/coaching, at least the passing portion of the game. I would take TA as he is our current qb.

I expect him along with the team as a whole to continue improving. Even though we played an outgunned opponent you could see improvement in the mental game. Our recievers are running better routes and Tommy is passing to a spot. We saw interceptions last year cause of miscommunication. This year that hasn't been the case.

Reactions: huskerj12
Tommy is really keeping his powder dry on the run side. If he keeps the passing % up, easy runs are going to be there (they've already been there). But imagine a healthy TMart in this O with the same coaching. That's called pick your poison for an opposing D.

This weekend will be the test. I don't think we could learn a thing from last week except Davie got handled. That was one game against a pretty weak opponent.

Great start to the year for Tommy, but I *think* he had similar stats after 2 weeks last year as well...maybe one of the stat nerds will back that iffy statement up.

Tommy had a great game against Miami last year.

The key is protecting the ball regardless of his overall stats. Every possession will be crucial.

Tommy is really keeping his powder dry on the run side. If he keeps the passing % up, easy runs are going to be there (they've already been there). But imagine a healthy TMart in this O with the same coaching. That's called pick your poison for an opposing D.

I agree. The bootlegs are really starting to open up as well. He hasn't had to run because he has open receivers, but there are going to be some lanes when he wants to take off.

TMart could never make some of the throws that TA is making right now. His accuracy was never good but obviously when healthy he brought a different dimension to the run game. His decision making was what killed me at times. College QBs can make you crazy.

Reactions: georgiacorn
Great start to the year for Tommy, but I *think* he had similar stats after 2 weeks last year as well...maybe one of the stat nerds will back that iffy statement up.

I've never been a big numbers guy. But our offense really looks like a well conceived pro style offense. And the players have stepped up to the plate. The sight test has been very impressive.

Last edited:

Tommy through 2 games in 2014:
31/60
51.6%
513 yards
4 touchdowns, 1 interception

Tommy through 2 games in 2015:
45/71
63.3%
589 yards
5 touchdowns, 1 interception

He also played against Florida Atlantic and McNeese State in the first 2 games of 2014. Neither of which can hold a candle to BYU.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
He is justifying his starting gig so far. No more, no less.

I'd say he is doing a little more than simply justifying his starting gig. Very small sample size, but so far he is:

Leading the conference in passing yards. (crazy statistic considering his longest pass is 30 yards)
Tied for first in passing touchdowns.
Third in passer rating.
Fifth in completion percentage.
Tied for Second (with 3 others) in completions. (He has the third most attempts)

He is playing at a very high level right now.

I'd say he is doing a little more than simply justifying his starting gig. Very small sample size, but so far he is:

Leading the conference in passing yards. (crazy statistic considering his longest pass is 30 yards)
Tied for first in passing touchdowns.
Third in passer rating.
Fifth in completion percentage.
Tied for Second (with 3 others) in completions. (He has the third most attempts)

He is playing at a very high level right now.
I hope he keeps it up, however, its been 2 games. I am pleased with his performance thus far, but good grief folks, this is neither the time to crown him, nor trash him.

Hyperbole much? He has done a really nice job so far and I hope he keeps it up. Once again, its 2 games,

Lol... Really? Don't act like I'm hyping him.

You stated above that basically all he's done is "justify himself as the starter, no more or no less."

Its not hyperbole to suggest he's done more than "earn the starting job." Has it only been 2 games? Of course, but he's already exceeded everyone's expectations.

Tommy through 2 games in 2014:
31/60
51.6%
513 yards
4 touchdowns, 1 interception

Tommy through 2 games in 2015:
45/71
63.3%
589 yards
5 touchdowns, 1 interception

He also played against Florida Atlantic and McNeese State in the first 2 games of 2014. Neither of which can hold a candle to BYU.
What about rushing yards?

I'm optimistic, and he's clearly improved from last year.

Small sample size on the statistics and poor pass defenses played, though. So far he's played the #91 and #98 pass efficiency defenses (last year, FAU was the #67 pass defense and McNeese was #40 in FCS)

This week we play the #6 pass efficiency defense so if Tommy maintains even close to what we've seen so far this year he's going to have a very good year.

At times our offensive coordinators over the last decade have tried to surprise the other team or something by attacking their strength. Hoping this weekend we can successfully run early and make the linebackers and safeties respect the run to open up the passing game.

If he can get rid of just a little more of the streakyness, he has a chance to be really good. This weekend is a good test, but I echo what others have said. So far so good, and looking forward to watching him progress. I love it too because of the anonymous shots that were taken at him this season. So far he is definitely proving he is not just "a guy".

Lol... Really? Don't act like I'm hyping him.

You stated above that basically all he's done is "justify himself as the starter, no more or no less."

Its not hyperbole to suggest he's done more than "earn the starting job." Has it only been 2 games? Of course, but he's already exceeded everyone's expectations.

We are getting sidetracked by semantics. Im relatively sure we are the same page regarding the quality of play TA has shown thus far and hope it continues. GBR.

If he can get rid of just a little more of the streakyness, he has a chance to be really good. This weekend is a good test, but I echo what others have said. So far so good, and looking forward to watching him progress. I love it too because of the anonymous shots that were taken at him this season. So far he is definitely proving he is not just "a guy".

No basis for this and probably just because I am getting jacked for this weekend, BUT:

TA throws for 350 runs for another 40, 4 TOTAL tds (3 passing)....and ZERO ints!!! (Which may be a first for him)

GBR

Reactions: leodisflowers
No basis for this and probably just because I am getting jacked for this weekend, BUT:

TA throws for 350 runs for another 40, 4 TOTAL tds (3 passing)....and ZERO ints!!! (Which may be a first for him)

GBR

I like the enthusiasm. I hope he can get it done. It would be nice to see the rushing go up to around 70 with maybe 1 or 2 big gainers, just to keep their D off balance.

Reactions: SDhusker12
I like the enthusiasm. I hope he can get it done. It would be nice to see the rushing go up to around 70 with maybe 1 or 2 big gainers, just to keep their D off balance.

I would love that, too, but I dont think we will see it with this offense. He has already shown that when he rolls out he isnt even thinking about pulling it down and running. Kinda disappointing considering he had, what, 700 yds on the ground last year? But if he makes up for it through the air thats ok I guess.

I don't know if its posted; but 1620 summarized some stats on TA's passing stats. He is averaging AN INCREDIBLE over 70 % passing for the first , third and 4th quarters this season; he has had his lapses in the second period - 20% in the BYU game and 30%'s overall in the second quarter. If he brings the second quarter performance up to the others ; he will have some incredible system games. Also speaks very well for what POB and others may do in this systems future - and lets say some incredible qb and receivers coaching. GBR

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT