ADVERTISEMENT

Tommy Armstrong decision making...

yort2000

Senior
Jan 23, 2007
has been great past two games. Three times is a trend. I hope he is as good next week on the road against Miami.

interesting, i still think his mechanics are pretty bad at least half the time.

interesting, i still think his mechanics are pretty bad at least half the time.

Most of the time he's just trying to get the ball off before getting blown up. He's become the quarterback i always suspected he could be. He's a natural team leader with bucketloads of talent. He just need someone to show him the correct way to play the position. I'm real proud of Tommy Armstrong.

I have been real proud of how far he has come and his performance so far this season. Still needs to work on throwing off his back foot, but overall his passing looks light years better than last year.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
He has made some really good strides. Better coaching from the qb coach and another year of maturity helps...plus a bunch of hard work.
Gotta agree with you on that on tt and that doesn't happen often. :). I commented on that last night to the wife. He just looks more confident back there and rolling out. Mechanics just lok better. He had a couple of fubars but overall the kid kid has improved a ton imo. Amazing what instruction wiill do.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
I think you are wrong
I don't think" his mechanics and decisions are bad "half the time" but he still have lapses. Heck NFL QBs have brain farts but there were some throws he made last night that were ill advised at the very least and he won't get away with those against better talent. He should have likely had a couple of picks on a couple of those. OVERALL though the coaching is showing through and he is MUCH better in the passing game. I would still like to see him tuck it and run more, but it appears to me that the D was trying to prevent that to some degree.

I am loving the improvements he has made. Langsdorf is one coach I am sold on. The guy is money, as well as the fuy TA has been working with each summer. I have been telling everyyone I know before the season TA is going to have an all-big10 type year (tho idk if that will happen with cook and cardale in the way). But I think they have a 3rd yeam now.

I think you are wrong

I'm with you. I think Tommy's mechanics are the best I've seen from a Nebraska QB since probably Zac Taylor. And man, that kid has a laser. So much so that at times he puts a little too much on it.

I think he still reverts back to timbeckville on occasion, and makes an Ill-advised throw, and he will get into the bad habit of throwing off his back foot sometimes, but he has improved dramatically.

I'm still concerned with his ability to deliver the ball when he gets some pressure, but I'm hopeful that will continue to improve.

Last edited:
The numbers don't lie. He's throwing the ball better than previously and that's impressive. Our core of receivers looks to be a strength also that will only be bolstered when DPE returns. My biggest concern is he still likes to force plays when there's a man in his face or even the questionable pass attempts when he is being tackled. Turnovers kill in football and I hope he continues to learn when to throw the ball away and live for the next down.

All together I'm very pleased with the results in the early season.

He is definitely making improvements. I think the scheme helps a lot. I don't see us having any "quarterback and receiver weren't on the same page" this year. We have some bigger games down the road, I hope we keep seeing improvement throughout the year.

Agree, TA still has poor mechanics but he is making better reads after two games.
Poor mechanics don't allow him to make throws like he has been hitting lately. Is he Tom Brady? Nope but he is progressing well beyond what I thought he'd be able to with just one off season with a real coach.

The question is what will his mechanics look like under duress. We got some hint in the second qtr against BYU of what that might look like and it wasn't pretty. The good news was that evidently Langsdorph was able to steady the ship at half with him. Love our coaching staff.

Love all of the QB coaches that know exactly about the best mechanics. TA looks good and I'll take it. If he's 70% he can pitch it every play and I won't care. GBR

KMTV had a cut up of a bunch of his throws. Better than I had initially thought. Hope we get game 2 OL instead of game 1 OL.

His decision making was good in game 2. That's what playing a S Alabama will do

He had a lot of head scratchers in the byu game. Possession 2 already up 7-0 2nd and 6 near midfield and he takes a gawd awful intentional grounding killing the drive .... Had a chance to go up 2 scores

A 3rd yr starting QB should not be snapping the ball with 5-10 seconds left on the play clock when you are trying to run out the game.

An 0-12 stretch should never happen. We gave away an entire quarter of that game

Still room for improvement. Looking forward to seeing the Miami game

His decision making was good in game 2. That's what playing a S Alabama will do

He had a lot of head scratchers in the byu game. Possession 2 already up 7-0 2nd and 6 near midfield and he takes a gawd awful intentional grounding killing the drive .... Had a chance to go up 2 scores

A 3rd yr starting QB should not be snapping the ball with 5-10 seconds left on the play clock when you are trying to run out the game.

An 0-12 stretch should never happen. We gave away an entire quarter of that game

Still room for improvement. Looking forward to seeing the Miami game
I'm not sure people were saying he has only made good decisions... Pretty sure people are saying his decision making has improved. Of course he can improve even more. But 2015 Tommy > 2014 Tommy. Would you agree with that?

Reactions: SDhusker12
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT